Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private detectives.

• 17-08-2008 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

I was wondering are there any laws governing private detectives in Ireland can they tap phones (landlines) and mobiles? Or is it all just csi?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Sunn wrote: »
    I was wondering are there any laws governing private detectives in Ireland can they tap phones (landlines) and mobiles? Or is it all just csi?

I would be amazed if they have any more rights than the average joe on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

The Private Security Services Act 2004 is the applicable legislation. There is no formal requirements or training to become a PI. A person who styles themselves as a PI has no additional powers conferred by law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Generally nobody has the right to tap a phone, or read emails. It's very difficult for the garda to get permission to tap.

Mobiles are virtually impossible to tap. As you need the co-operation of the mobile company. The American government are about the only people who've have that level of friendship with mobile companies.

Landlines can be tapped. But someone would need access to the cable, to clip on their device. It's not legal to do this.

Emails can be easily accessed by a variety of methods. I know in the US and UK they have started to hand down jail time for unauthorised email access.

Advertisement