Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would Windows XP SP3 react to a processor change?

Options
  • 17-08-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of swapping a E6600 for a Q6600. My mobo is a bit old, an Abit AB9 Pro, I have checked and the Q6600 is supported at the latest Bios (22) which I am running. Physically swapping the hardware then is no problem, I am concerned that my current running installation of XP Pro will not work at all or if it does that it will not use the two additional cores....

Anyone done anything like this before and how did you get on?
    Worst case scenario is that I will have to reinstall windows, but I want to avoid that downtime if i can (although, I have started downloading drivers etc and took a backup just in case)

I have a decent CPU cooler, a CNPS9500, and a decent powersupply (OCZ 600watt) so apart from the XP interoperability I should be ok. I will be removing the overclock I have on the E6600 before I do anything, and once the Q6600 is in for a week I will start overclocking that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It'll be absolutely fine, no need to worry. Xp scans on boot to detect your hardware. As long as the board supports it.

You'll find an older mobo won't overclock well with a quad tho, but should be fine at stock

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Aggree, it'll be perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

excellent, just what I wanted to hear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Processor change worked fine, took the opportunity to throw in a new graphics card... 4870 is one long mofo of a card, lots of moving stuff around to get it fitted :eek: ... XP didnt have any problems with either though :)

Hope you used the latest Ati driver 8.7 and wiped all traces of old graphics driver with driver sweeper in safe mode? A change like a gpu will make a huge difference to Windows and its best to remove completely all parts of the old driver before installing a new one, not just install on top of old one. You'll need to be in safe mode to remove them as some of the parts of the driver will be in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hope you used the latest Ati driver 8.7 and wiped all traces of old graphics driver with driver sweeper in safe mode? A change like a gpu will make a huge difference to Windows and its best to remove completely all parts of the old driver before installing a new one, not just install on top of old one. You'll need to be in safe mode to remove them as some of the parts of the driver will be in use.

ATI Catalyst 8.8 is available now.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I installed a 4780 tonight... needed a crowbar to squeeze it into my old Antec lanboy case :pac:

Long card indeed ;)

:rolleyes: Not really, lookin in my case its the same width as an Atx motherboard, ye must have tiny cases :D ye sure its gonna get air?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

My case is small but the air flow is good :). I can't wait to play Crysis on this baby. I've gone from a skt 939 AMD 3700 San diego and 7800GTX to a E8600 P45 mobo with a 4870. Should make a big difference!

Apologies for the derail!

Advertisement