Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got the points but failed maths...there's still hope

Options
  • 17-08-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I just saw this on the GMIT website so I copied and pasted a bit of it. Maybe some of the other colleges do something similar. Worth checking out.

GMIT is providing a new three-week intensive course in mathematics for students who do not gain a pass in ordinary mathematics in the Leaving Certificate.

Those who pass will fulfill the minimum maths requirements on all programmes in GMIT except for Engineering, Medical Science and Nursing programmes.

Applicants must have completed the Leaving Certificate programme or Foundation maths programme and not received a pass grade, or qualify as mature students.

They must apply to GMIT the week beginning 18th August 2008.

Those who pass the course will be ranked on their other Leaving Certificate subjects for entry to programmes in GMIT not filled in rounds 1 and 2 of the CAO process.

The three-week programme will run from Monday 25th August

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

NUIG do an Engineering entrance exam in maths if you dont get the required C or higher. Im not too sure they do a course, but from what I hear its basically a scaled down LC maths exam.

Handy if you get the points but not the required C3 or higher in maths. If you need it, find out about it quickly. I missed it back when I did the leaving and had to repeat then.

Repeating was fun though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's a good idea, especially for subjects where being strong at maths is no advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I wonder if you pass the three week course can you bring your 'certificate' to another IT and say 'look i can do maths....let me into my course' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I barely got my maths requirement thankfully. It's a very good idea to offer this though, theres a lot of people who would be royally screwed if they didn't. I think 5,000 failed maths this year.

Advertisement