Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Useful nix utilities

• 17-08-2008 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Might be handy as a sticky if people contribute. Basically useful little utilities that you can't live without once you start using them.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Yakuake (in Debian repos): Terminal which scrolls down from top of screen a la Quake terminal. It's for KDE but works fine in Gnome too. Handy for kicking things off and scrolling back up to leave them running out of the way.
    mrxvt: Multi-tabbed terminal. DE independant.
    Notecase: hierarchical note manager. Quite simply brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

screen

A marvelous little utility that allows you to detach from a running session while leaving it running in the background.

Particularly useful if you're working on a remote machine with dodgy internet. If your ssh session gets disconnected - no problem. Reconnect when it comes back and simply re-attach to your still-running session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

for loops!

for i in *; do echo "filename is $i"; done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I used to use screen all the time.

reverse history search in bash.
    Ctrl-r and type in a couple of characters. Ctrl-r again for the next match, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

++ for yakuake and screen. There's a Gnome-oriented equivalent of yakuake called 'tilda' if you don't want to have to install konsole etc, but IMO yakuake works better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Useful nix utilities?

All of nix is useful utilities!!!

Anyhoo, screen++, also for yakuake, though I have the habit of using alt + Tab, for manouvering windows, and alt + tab seems to get confused with yakuake.

After years of using RPM I have to add apt to this list. It is just fantastic! I don't understand why other distro's waste time trying to invent new package managers when apt works so well.

Using the tunneling feature of ssh is also very cool.

Thats all I can think of short of just listing the contents of /bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

freenx / nx (www.nomachine.com). Absolutely savage remote desktop application. Using it right now to write this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

First Yakuake is definitely the business and while others have recomended yum, I tend to agree on the apt tools, never happier since I switched from RPM, but that may be me not staying current as new tools became available.

So if I can't have Perl does Vim count ? (see subject)

Wget for generating local documentation and generally just mirroring stuff

imageMagick's convert in particular for batch processing files

And loads I've forgotten about, for inspiration take a look at the Debian package of the day site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What's the edit limit on posts? Thought it was a month and was going to edit the first post to include the others listed. Forgot about ImageMagick - it does kick ass. And FreeNX is fantastic for remote desktop.

Like that Package of the Day site. Today's is EasyTag - for batch manipulating ID3 tags - me likey. That'll be added to my RSS reader :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

testdisk saved my partitions more than once and it includes photorec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Nmap and netcat are two utilities I use pretty much every day (particularly nc)

Does rsync count?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ddrescue

bc -l
    scale 1000
    a(1)*4

Advertisement