Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know this place?

Options
  • 17-08-2008 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

On another message board devoted to family history, somebody came up with an address for a 19th century ancestor in Bombay Terrace, Kingstown. There's no such address that we can find in modern-day Dun Laoghaire, and a County Dublin street directory of 1888 doesn't show it either.

On the internet, I found a reference to a breach of promise action brought against a Major Mungavin at about the same time. The Major was described as the "proprietor" of Bombay Terrace, Kingstown. He'd served in the army in India, so if he'd been responsible for building some houses, it seems plausible that he'd call them something like that. Maybe, rather than Bombay Terrace being an actual street, it was just a terrace of houses on a street with another name. I think that used to happen in Dublin at one time.

I don't know if anyone has any old street maps or directories, but I'd be very grateful to anybody who could shed any light on exactly where Bombay Terrace was.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council might be a good place to start. I'm sure they'll have some kind of archivist or historian on their books, or else try the public library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MADPhil

Thanks, I'll see if their website has an email address I can contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, the library in dun laoghaire has a heap of local history records. there seems to be one guy who mainly deals with it, so make sure you email and ask if/when you could come down and ask some Qs. Good luck :)

info: http://www.dlrcoco.ie/library/dl.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

If you are going to pop into the library take note of the opening times- they vary dramatically and can really mess up your day if you assume!

Also, if you can't find anything in the library you could ask the genealogical society which is based in Dun Laoghaire, just in case they have the info being that they're local.

Advertisement