Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latin...Is it dead???

Options
  • 17-08-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Another post just got me thinking...Is there any use for latin now?? I want to study geography but I was just wondering if I can make any use of my latin?? I think that it is a perpetual language..but many of my friends think that it is of no use :confused: Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 college2008

anything said in Latin DOES seem more profound!

i love latin..... it was my favourite LC subject.... it was great

everyone thinks there is no use for it, however its one of those subjects that helps with everything

75% of all english words come from latin...... gotta help somewhere

such a great subject to study...... cant believe only 110 do it in the country..... disgrace..... should be compulsary!

That's my rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Not at all, all the best intellectuals speak latin. It isn't as useful as living languages for speaking to people obviously, but just for an extra language it's one of the most useful. What with all those things named in latin......... I don't really know what I'm talking about, I still think it's a good language to speak/know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

latin is a scholar's subject :)
    you may not see it but there's people out there who wants to read the bible in latin or else other famous books that are originally in latin that i cant remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I did it for my leaving cert 4 years ago and I still have a huge interest in it, I'm glad I had the chance to study it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I'd prefer ancient greek though, tbh. If I was learning a language for those reasons. Although you'd be a bit restricted to greek stuff then... latin was all over europe I spose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Whimsical

I know I think that latin is such a beautiful language....I have a sticker on the back of my bike..''Sona si Latine loqueris'' ( Honk, if you speak latin ) :D Gosh I'd love to be able to speak greek.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I did Ancient Greek for the LC four years ago. Not many places teach it nowadays, mine was one of the only schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    latin is a scholar's subject :)
    you may not see it but there's people out there who wants to read the bible in latin or else other famous books that are originally in latin that i cant remember...

the Bible was in Hbrew and Greek, not Latin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Whimsical wrote: »
    I know I think that latin is such a beautiful language....I have a sticker on the back of my bike..''Sona si Latine loqueris'' ( Honk, if you speak latin ) :D Gosh I'd love to be able to speak greek.....
    That's not weird at all. :pac: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Did Latin & Ancient Greek for the LC a few years ago. I must say Latin was easily my favourite subject. I suppose the clear order and logic involved was what got me. I always prefered Latin (I wistfully read Virgil's Bk2 in a library recently. How sad!). I don't know why but i did. I loved going into french class in sixth year. The puzzlement on some people's faces when they heard of a pluperfect! Try the PPP or some nasty irregular middle aorist participle!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Whimsical

The weird is wonderful :D Virgil rocks!!!!!

Advertisement