Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fahrenheit

Options
  • 17-08-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

I just picked up this game for about a tenner out of Xtra-Vision. I had heard some good things about it but never bothered to pick it up before. So I started the game during the week and I'm oddly suprised and intrigued by it's gameplay.

The game reminds me of Out of This World (or as it's sometimes called Another World) but it's not a 2D platformer. You start off in the restroom of a diner in New York, sitting on a tiolet and in the midst of some trance-like state. You pushed the stall door open and advance upon this stranger and stab him to death. And there's where the gameplay kicks in, because you resort to your former self and freak out - you have to hide the body, get rid of the evidence, and get out of there quick.

I haven't been playing this game very long but I am suprised how good the gameplay is. The game lets you pick choices, like what you do and who you talk to and most importantly what you say. When you say something, you get a timer bar and you have to choose quickly, it's not like an RPG where you can exhaust every possible avenue.

I recently played this part where your in a park in New York, it's snowy and freezing. You see this kid playing on the side of a lake and you get this premonition that he will fall in, and then you have a choice, either help the kid or do nothing, but the cops are walking in your direction and you don't want to get spotted.

I let the kid die, and I felt awful afterwards. The game does that to you. Has anyone else played this game yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

This has been on my list of games to play for ages... Think I should just pull my finger out and buy it now, sounds fairly intriguing!

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah interesting game and quite unique. I like the 24 syle camera system and the plot was pretty interesting although it goes all matrixy at the end.

Worth playing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Yeah really liked playing it. Everyone should definitely give this one a go.

It starts off well, but the ending is just crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Got the pc version but I can't seem to get the right analogue stick of my 360 controller working... Mouse control just feels wrong, especially with the silly action sequences:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its quite original and interesting. After a while you start to feel like you are watching an interactive movie rather than playing a game though...which isnt necessarily a bad thing depending on what you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Absolutley hated this game.

I was really looking forward to a proper murder mystery game from the demo but the story just went to **** with the supernatual cult story line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

one of my favorite games I found it very satisfying playing as the murderer and the police investigating the case.

I enjoyed the supernatural element for the most part of the game except the ending which trys to intraduce as many plot twists as 3 seasons of 24.

Im wish they would make more Detective/Murder mystery games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Yeah, played this when it first came out, and it was reasonably enjoyable (although the first half more so than the second). The one thing that pissed me off the most was those bloody timed event things (particularly as I was playing on a PC, and they were obviously designed for a console controller).

Still, got to give it credit for being the first game I played that had an interactive sex scene! (press up, press down, press up, press down...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

WTF?! Nooooo! Use spoiler!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Been putting off buying this game. Just bought it on play for £7.99. Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's a hell of a game. A lot of replay value and it has a great cinematic feel. As said above, the ending may feel a little weak, but I still enjoyed it. I can't wait for their next game "Hard Rain".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

humanji wrote: »
    It's a hell of a game. A lot of replay value and it has a great cinematic feel. As said above, the ending may feel a little weak, but I still enjoyed it. I can't wait for their next game "Hard Rain".

Heavy Rain, Hard Rain was that movie with Morgan Freeman :pac:

Eh... I was talking about the game based on the movie...yes, that was it...

JERK!!!!!! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a good game for sure, but I think the game take 3 distinct turns during the playthrough, which neatly sit against the beginning, middle and end (no spoilers unless marked):

Beginning: Ok, we have one of the most dramatic and tension - fuelled beginnings to a game. From the killing in the diner, through to the investigation, playing the game as the killer & the cop at the same time is a unique and thrilling method of playing the game (as both the cat and the mouse) and for the first time you get what people meant by interactive movie. I am intrigued to know the "truth" of the serial killing & I would say this is the aspect of the game most people used as the template for their positive reviews.

Middle: Hmmmm, ok, the dual-playing perspectives maintains, but it's all beginning to look a bit
    "Broken Sword". At any moment, I expect George Stobbart to march onto screen (spoilered because anyone who knows those games should know PRECISELY what I mean here.
    I'm still running with it, but I'm sensing that the script-writers got themselves into a bind & are trying to write themselves out of a hole here without about-turn'ing on their characters. I suspect the wheels might be about to come off the plot here.

End: What the F*CK? Have I accidently just gone and installed & played a different game altogether? I want Fahrenheit back!
    Why am I suddenly having Matrix fights? What the Sh*ting hell are malevolant AI creatures doing in this game? I thought I was fighting mystical Aztecs? Oh and why are my two playable characters shagging - they only just met a moment ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Good game, might go back and play it again since I've clearly forgotten the ridiculous twist at the latter end of the game.

No, wait, remembered it... *cringe*

Well worth a tenner though, I paid 40 odd for it and didn't feel too let down.

CCCP^ wrote: »
    WTF?! Nooooo! Use spoiler!!!

Hi, here's a tip! If you don't want to know things about <instert game title here>, don't click on a thread with <insert game title here> as the thread title!

Call me a genius, but I would have thought that that was obvious to most people
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and why are my two playable characters shagging - they only just met a moment ago! [/spoiler]

It's been a while, but weren't they ex-bf and -gf?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

FruitLover wrote: »
    Hi, here's a tip! If you don't want to know things about <instert game title here>, don't click on a thread with <insert game title here> as the thread title!

Call me a genius, but I would have thought that that was obvious to most people
    Ehh...he created the thread :rolleyes:

Kiith wrote: »
    Ehh...he created the thread :rolleyes:

Haha, I must admit my spannerhood!

still doesn't invalidate my point though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I think my mistake was being born.

Well, anyway, not to give too much away, I loved the part where your in the Park and you get that premonition about the kid, and he falls into the Water. I was thinking at the time "well **** it I don't want to have to play this part again and maybe the Cops will save him". Except the Cops still didn't know who I was. And the identikit sketch of me was only 0.25% accurate.

The Kid died and your character starts saying "there's not a day that will go by that I won't regret that". ****! I felt bad, but it's about choices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FruitLover wrote: »
    It's been a while, but weren't they ex-bf and -gf?
    Nope, as I remember it one was the "killer", the other was the cop chasing him. The only meet properly up near the end of the game (not counting a couple of chance meetings and questionings). It's only when the ... *sigh* AI monsters turn up that suddenly they feel like doing the horizontal monster mash. In a disused subway car surrounded by bums I might add. And they say romance is dead. It was as if they knew at that stage the plot couldn't be saved so they just chucked in a pointless sex scene to get the ratings up.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

3 words spoiled this game for me. Quick Time Events.

Fail.

I thought they were a highlight of it. It's better than having to sit back and watch a cutscene. It draws you into it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

humanji wrote: »
    I thought they were a highlight of it. It's better than having to sit back and watch a cutscene. It draws you into it.

I think you're probably in the minority. I can't begin to express how much I hate them. A lot. Really really a lot. Hugely loads. I incredibly hate them very much.

Maximilian wrote: »
    I think you're probably in the minority. I can't begin to express how much I hate them. A lot. Really really a lot. Hugely loads. I incredibly hate them very much.
    In fairness, the whole game was a bunch of QTEs, so they were less irritating than, say, a 3rd person action / shooter that randomly throws in a QTE to "test" you (something like God of War for instance). The game was built upon the concept, rather than the concept used to elongate gameplay

Maximilian wrote: »
    So you're not mad on them, then?

Not as such. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

I completely agree.

I just downloaded it from XBox live last week, and had it finished the next day.

It reminded me of the time I was watching The Matrix, and when it reached the bit where Neo was about to dodge the bullets on the roof, my DVD player said "Press Play to Continue".
    And again later, when fighting Mr. Smith.
    And again in the...

Oh wait no - that didn't happen because it's intensely annoying!

For some of the "quick time events", they're so intense that you actually miss what's happening on screen!

Other than this though; I thought the game was wonderful - just that certain aspects of the controls and "game" could have been handled better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

They unveiled the successor to this, Heavy Rain today.

Looks like more of the same gameplay wise (which IMO is a good thing, as long as they don't go insane with the ending and I doubt they'll make that mistake twice), and looks incredible graphically. One to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wow, that looks great ! And heh, more context-senstive gameplay - that's gonna piss some ppl off :)

Definitely one to watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement