Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most over-rated band? Under-rated?

Options
  • 17-08-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

(Dont hurt me!) but i think "Nirvana" is the most over-rated rated band ever! The best thing Kurt Cobain ever did for his music career was kill himself off.....
    Oh and "Coldplay".....dont get me started:D

Underrated? "The Gay Blades"....i love this band

(Btw not saying these bands are 'bad', just far too much hype in my opinion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Kudos on the Coldplay one but I think Nirvana are woth the hype.

Maximo Park are pretty under-rated, I think they're awesome

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I'd say Oasis but nobody with any taste rates them anyway. And no, the first two albums weren't that good either. They were only ok.

*lights cigarette and waits*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I will probably get banned for this but... Morrissey, i'm sorry i just don't get it.

I half agree with nirvana, in utero was the first album i ever bought and tbh it's one of the most under rated album in my collection despite nirvana's status these days.

You also say the best thing Kurt did was to kill himself, but that only made them more popular.

On the under rated side, i dunno, there are just too many that should be more recognised but due to various factors just aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Overrated-Queen: Fantastic singles band, but apart from Night at the Opera, they made pretty poor albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Cremo wrote: »
    I will probably get banned for this but... Morrissey, i'm sorry i just don't get it.

That's the best thing about Morrissey - he's loved or hated.

Keeps the fanbase pure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Phlann wrote: »
    I'd say Oasis but nobody with any taste rates them anyway. And no, the first two albums weren't that good either. They were only ok.

*lights cigarette and waits*

your wrong, nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

eoinf wrote: »
    your wrong, nuff said.

+1. Don't see how you could consider early Oasis ****e

I have always thought that post Ok Computer Radiohead are vastly overated. Would agree with Queen, never really got them.
    Have always thought Springsteen was wildly overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I agree with everything so far except the oasis one.
    I never got pink floyd, maybe there vastly overrated.
    Underrated is a tricky one, I could mention a few but they would probably be foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Clash. Everything about them irritates me. Over the years - mostly on the prompting of my friends - I've tried more than once to understand the appeal and I fail every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yep, I always thought Nirvana were over-rated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Killers, I simply don't get the appeal. They have such a boring, generic sound and Brandon Flowers has a really crap voice.

Most underrated? Sonata Arctica. Probably my all-time favourite band, yet they are virtually unknown outside metal circles and Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Remember to keep this civil.. people are entitled to their own opinion so less of the petty name calling and hang-bags at dawn.

Oh.. and most over-rated band? Muse... a great band but christ-on-a-bike, they're not the be and fecking end all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

+1 on most of the artists mentioned so far as overrated! I detest Coldplay, have never understood the hype about The Clash or Morrissey, and despite liking Nirvana I do concede that they're not as good as they're made out to be.

Most overrated for me - Manic Street Preachers. Pretentious lyrics, dull music, zero creativity or originality and on top of all that they have the world's biggest twat in Nicky Wire.

As for underrated, I am a huge fan of Garbage and while they've done fairly well commercially I personally don't think they get half the recognition/acclaim they deserve.
    But that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

most over-rated is u2, under-rated, very hard to say,

I'm afraid this might be foolish but IMO the most underrated band of all time is a group called The Travelling Wilburys, two quality albums and the greatest lineup of all supergroups, you rarely hear them on the radio or in top 100 lists.

Also the Clancy Brothers must be on the underrated list considering they were major influences on Bob Dylan, The Pogues, Johnny Rotten

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Over rated (and shite) - U2

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Over rated (and shite) - U2

That goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The Killers, I simply don't get the appeal. They have such a boring, generic sound and Brandon Flowers has a really crap voice.

Most underrated? Sonata Arctica. Probably my all-time favourite band, yet they are virtually unknown outside metal circles and Finland.

I'd have to agree, I first got into Nightwish about 4 or 5 years ago, and when I heard Tony Kakko singing Beauty and the Beast live with Tarja I had to find out who they were. First song I got from Sonata Arctica was Sing in Silence, absolutely loved it and kept going from there. I find it hard to pick a favourite song they've so many good ones. Probably comes down to The End of This Chapter, My Land, Replica, Kingdom for a Heart.

Glad someone else appreciates them.

Most over rated artists today, any rapper that came out within the last 3-4 years with the exception of *maybe* one or two. Ciara type hip hop artists. My Chemical Romance, BellX1, Kaiser Chiefs. Tiesto is definitely over rated. Great DJ but people think he's God.

Under rated, I think Depeche Mode are nowadays, except among hardcore fans, Republic of Loose being an obvious Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Well if this thread hasn't been done to death. Every band that's ever gone platinum is going to be mentioned here. Someone's gonna say Radiohead and then I'll quietly seethe at their ignorance. As for Nirvana, overrated definitely but it doesn't stop them being a fairly decent band. Foo Fighters are a thousand times worse.

Anyway, for overrated I'll go for Metallica. Never enjoyed a song, don't really see what they brought to the table whatsoever.

Underrated is difficult because you've got to be fairly obscure, so I'll go with a band that I rediscovered in my collection yesterday because I've been listening to mostly electronic music over the last few months; the Notwist. Neon Golden is a really good album... Apart from the song Neon Golden.. which is really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

underrated = neil young

over rated = was going to say ac/dc who i loathe but i realise there just popular , theyve no real credibility so i will have to say bruce springstien ,hes seen as a messiah by most , especially dj,s

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

irish_bob wrote: »
    underrated = neil young

over rated = was going to say ac/dc who i loathe but i realise there just popular , theyve no real credibility so i will have to say bruce springstien ,hes seen as a messiah by most , especially dj,s

Neil young under rated? That's a first. I'm sure you could argue he was over rated. I wouldn't he's super.

Over rated. Generally any NME type band. I also think NME should be made a genre at this stage.

Under rated. Elliott Smith. Celine Dion won an oscar ahead of him, this makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I have always thought that post Ok Computer Radiohead are vastly overated.
    Kold wrote: »
    Someone's gonna say Radiohead and then I'll quietly seethe at their ignorance.

See, on the one hand I agree with Bubs. In fact, I would probably go further and say that everything post The Bends is vastly overrated. On the other hand Radiohead are still capable of producing some really great tunes, clearly kick ass live and have ruthlessly pursued their own musical vision, for which you have to tip your hat to them. Overrated isn't the first word that springs to mind, just not to my taste.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, I always thought Nirvana were over-rated.

And to think you have the gall to call yourself a moderator of Alt & Indie. For shame, missy, for shame.
    basquille wrote: »
    Remember to keep this civil.. people are entitled to their own opinion so less of the petty name calling and hang-bags at dawn.

Lost is a poorly plotted show with little or no direction and whose premise, despite its fan's protestations, is neither original nor interesting. Furthermore, the ensemble cast produce uneven performances which only highlight the paucity of good writing underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Most over rated - Pink Floyd

Most under Rated - The pixies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I'm afraid this might be foolish but IMO the most underrated band of all time is a group called The Travelling Wilburys,.

+10000000000000000000 totally agree!

over-rated: fall out boy! how these guys are popular is totally and utterly beyond me!

under-rated: picturehouse. great band with some class songs but totally overlooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Over-rated : Hootie and the Blowfish....bland singalong anthems, America's Oasis
    Under-rated/often overlooked : Beautiful South, Paul Heaton

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Most under Rated - The pixies

I don't understand people's criteria for underrated bands!? How in the name of hell can a band that almost everyone that has gone that one step beyond radio in their pursuit of music knows the name of!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Kold wrote: »
    I don't understand people's criteria for underrated bands!? How in the name of hell can a band that almost everyone that has gone that one step beyond radio in their pursuit of music knows the name of!?

They know the name of,,,,, but most of my mates think there shit and I love them. It was only my opinion chief.

I could have said mankyarmpits(local band) but nobody has heard of them so I doubt they could rate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

As someone else said, an under-rated band could be a band that doesn't appear in top ten lists regularly. And I think that bands who don't need massive amounts of exposure and hype to believe in themselves are often under-rated/over looked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Earthhorse wrote: »

And to think you have the gall to call yourself a moderator of Alt & Indie. For shame, missy, for shame.

Do explain? Not rating Nirvana somehow impedes the ability to moderate a forum? That's a first?

Advertisement