Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most over-rated band? Under-rated?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I doubt if that comment was meant to be taken quite so seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh it was. Earthhorse has been orchestrating a campaign of hate against me and javaboy for quite some time now :mad:

Kold wrote: »
    I don't understand people's criteria for underrated bands!? How in the name of hell can a band that almost everyone that has gone that one step beyond radio in their pursuit of music knows the name of!?
    I agree. This is about critical acclaim or the lack thereof, I presume? I mean, if you define over-rated according to the amount of airplay, records sold etc, then Westlife are over-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I'd say the most overated for me would be a choice between either U2 or Muse. Both bands older material is excellent, but their newer material is very bland and generic.

As for underated there are quite a few bands I can think of that do'nt seem to get the attention they deserve:

Fields of The Nephilim
    The Cult
    Anathema
    Love Like Blood
    Amorphis
    Tiamat
    Paradise Lost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Over-rated: U2, Nirvana, Coldplay.

Under-rated: Parliament-Funkadelic, The Yardbirds, Ohio Players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Funkadelic and Elliot Smith are good shouts for under-rated. Although I'm not sure that it's under-rated as much as quite widely unknown. Sure, music-heads would probably know them but in general I'de say they're just under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Cremo wrote: »
    I will probably get banned for this but... Morrissey, i'm sorry i just don't get it.

Overrated definitely Morrisey with U2 a close second.

Underrated probably Rory Gallagher. Although he's not so much underrated as unrecognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Funkadelic and Elliot Smith are good shouts for under-rated. Although I'm not sure that it's under-rated as much as quite widely unknown. Sure, music-heads would probably know them but in general I'de say they're just under the radar.
    Well, RHCP are a pretty big band who were moulded by George Clinton in the 80's.

Indeed to quote Flea, whose bass technique borrows a lot from Bootsy's: "Parliament-Funkadelic should be taught in schools."

Then, there are all the hip hop artists who sampled both acts (that's how I discovered them) and you're left with the reality that this band(s) has shaped a lot of modern music.

I don't know whether Coldplay's mega success also means they're over-rated - considering I only ever seem to hear Coldplay-bashing. And those I hear praising them usually tend to be DJs on 98FM type stations. I think the exact same applies to U2.
    As for underated there are quite a few bands I can think of that do'nt seem to get the attention they deserve:

Fields of The Nephilim
    The Cult
    Anathema
    Love Like Blood
    Amorphis
    Tiamat
    Paradise Lost
    Killing Joke? New Model Army?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Over-rated ( good enough in thier day but importance so overblown in recent times). - Joy Division (and in particular the flunky Ian Curtis) and Happy Mondays.

Under-rated (As in not given the full atistic stripes he deserves)- Damon Albarn. (An annoying twat in conversation but damn clever at twinkling knobs). And Radioheads new stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

I'd agree with a lot of the bands mentioned here. Exception being Oasis.

I think Oasis should fall into the Underrated field. Bear with me.... I know that they are considered very successful, sell shed loads of records, but i seems that there is a general perception that they arnt a great band among most music fans. There's more to Oasis than Morning Glory. People i know who generally have great taste in music, seem to ignore Oasis. I really dont know why this is - i think their music stands up there with most great bands,

Overrated - Killers, Muse,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just to add my "i'll probably be banned comment" was when the thread was in the Alt&Indie forum.

totally forgot about Elliott Smith such a shame he doesn't get anywhere near the recognition his music deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Roisin89

I think Kings of Leon and Bloc Party are overrated. But I do like Bloc Party's stuff circa Flux

Of Montreal are totally underrated. They are awesome and the bassline in every song is amazing. Regina Spektor, too. and Tilly and the Wall.

lol I'm done.

Over-rated (in terms of critical acclaim) - My Bloody Valentine. Apart from the odd quite good number, it's just noise to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Overrated - Arctic Monkeys
    Underrated - Sigur Ros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Interesting that The Clash have come up several times in the over rated list, I just don't see their appeal at all and I thought it was just me.

Springsteen too, some good songs but any time he releases anything its a super big deal, also what this 'The Boss' nonsense about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

chalad07 wrote: »
    People i know who generally have great taste in music, seem to ignore Oasis. I really dont know why this is

It's because they're a pack of talentless tossers. The phrase "All mouth and no trousers" could have been invented specifically to describe them.
    - i think their music stands up there with most great bands,

*cough* That's because they rob a lot of music from great bands.
    Overrated - Killers, Muse,

You think Oasis are talented but Muse are overrated?
    Muse get a lot of hate for apparently being a "soft" band (which I personally would disagree with) but even the haters can't deny Chris and Matt are two of the greatest guitar players around. RHCP get a lot of hate but again, Flea has more talent in his little finger than a lot of Indie Idols have in their whole band (roadies, crack dealers and hanger's on included).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

humberklog wrote: »
    Under-rated (As in not given the full atistic stripes he deserves)- Damon Albarn.

Wat? Everybody loves Albarn! Never heard a bad word about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I take the point that Oasis aren't the greatest musicians of all time but in Noel Gallagher they probably have the best songwriter around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Overrated - U2
    Underrated - Sparks

• Advertisement

I take the point that Oasis aren't the greatest musicians of all time but in Noel Gallagher they probably have the best songwriter around.

Well, he's the one writing these simplistic three-chord songs that they're playing so I'm not sure I agree with you. I also think his lyrics are sheeee-iiiiite, to borrow a phrase from his brother.

They made some catchy pop-rock tunes in their early days, granted (and I'm ignoring the many accusations of plagiarism that were levelled at them here), but a few catchy tunes followed by at least two dreadful albums does not a great songwriter make.

If I were a truly great songwriter like Bob Dylan or Nick Drake or Beck or whoever I'd be slightly insulted to hear somebody like Noel Gallagher talked about in the same breath as me.

He's a fair to middling songwriter who ran out of good ideas after two albums. That's the nice way of putting it btw. The not-so-nice way of putting it would be that he's an average songwriter who ran out of ideas to steal after two albums.

For the record I don't really care if people like them or not, horses for courses and I'm not the arbiter of other people's tastes, but I do object to the portrayal of Oasis as a great rock band, because they're a long, long way from being one, in my estimation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Kold wrote: »
    Wat? Everybody loves Albarn! Never heard a bad word about him.
    Noooo. Surely not. Now I'm more going with people I know or talk to rather than press,journos,freekyctiquees etc. Straw poll over last few years would certainly have him ignored on the whole by many people i've come in contact with. Album sales too (although they'd keep me in klypsos and cadet cola) haven't exactly been through the roof and talk of said albums has been lukewarm with the general unwashed that I mix with. These same people often like Ian Curtis (or the nonsensical myth of Ian Curtis). Can't figure that for the life of me.

I like Albarn, I think he's written enough good songs to deserve the recognition, but I don't think he's very consistent. Even in Blur I always felt there was a lot of filler on the albums.

On Your Own is a phenomenal party tune though, so just for that I forgive him his lack of consistency. :D

over-rated :- artic monkeys

under-rated :- doves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Metric are massively under rated, particularly commercially. They have a formula that has worked for so many ****ter bands who have garnered so much more attention. For example, if you were to compare them to the Ting Tings (at first glance a similar band) they have much better songs, an infinitely hotter singer who doesn't look like a horse, larger back catalogue and better indie chops (Broken Social Scene) and yet they are still virtually unknown here. By no means a phenomenal band but extremely underated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Over-rated: Nirvana

Under-rated: Neil Young (better than Dylan and all the others)

glasso wrote: »
    under-rated :- doves
    Yes. Good call.

I'm tempted to say The Fall also. Yes I know they have always been in receipt of much gushing acclaim, however 30 years on and they're still so unknown. Cult status - that's about it. And sticking with John Peel (R.I.P) favourites, I think the exact same applies to the very brilliant, wonderful, amazing Wedding Present.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Afaik, Blur, Gorillaz and The Good, The Bad and the Queen have all been spoken of very highly and quite rightly so. His solo work may not have flown off shelves but I can't remember ever seeing evidence of it being marketed.

I think he's a pretty class musician, and I can't think of many people that wouldn't enjoy at least part of his discography.

Not too sure about the Ian Curtis thing myself. Not my cuppa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I think Interpol are under-rated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Over-rated: The Smashing Pumpkins - great music, but Billy Corgan has a bloody annoying voice.

Under rated: The Kinks a little.

Advertisement