Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most over-rated band? Under-rated?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Over-rated: The Smashing Pumpkins - great music, but Billy Corgan has a bloody annoying voice.

:mad: Smashing Pumpkins = greatest band ever. Imo :)

In fairness, his voice is quite nasal so I do understand why some might not be into it. Not me though - he's an arrogant cnunt but I think he's a brilliant singer and musician!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Kold wrote: »
    Afaik, Blur, Gorillaz and The Good, The Bad and the Queen have all been spoken of very highly and quite rightly so. His solo work may not have flown off shelves but I can't remember ever seeing evidence of it being marketed.

I think he's a pretty class musician, and I can't think of many people that wouldn't enjoy at least part of his discography.

Not too sure about the Ian Curtis thing myself. Not my cuppa.

I wasn't a party to the great "Blur vs. Oasis" debate of 1995, being on the "They're both **** pop bands" side of the fence, but Albarn has proved that as a musician, he actually has some talent, improving and diversifying with age. Oasis, on the other hand, proved themselves to be one-trick ponies with little or nothing to offer the world apart from a mouthful of self important **** commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I would agree with that mostly. Though both Albarn and Gallagher are amongst the most obnoxious artists around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,779 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Muse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Spootie

Will Oldham definitely under-rated, the man's a genius. Also agree with Elliott Smith.

Over rated Damian Rice whiiiiiiney

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone mentioned Queen only recorded one good album (Night at the Opera) - may I point that person to Sheer Heart Attack - easily thier best LP record thingy.

Over-rated is a pointless discussion tbh as no gems will be uncovered, no reappraisal will occure.

So I'll highlight a band that never let the side down and yet always got a bums rush from music critics - The Stranglers - for 8 years they never released a bum single or b side. Sure, everyone knows Golden Brown but thats merely a hint of a repertoire full of strange 5 o'clock shadowy menace or top 40 toe tapping delight. (they had far more hit singles than such a band should have really). The albums could be variable esp later on but the good far outweighs the bad.

They had the coolest front man since the days of Classic Rock era (and the hardest bass player).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I just had a singles collection by them: No More Heroes is one of the best songs of all time, Peaches is... sleazy and rather chauvinistic, but damn! I can't resist it! It's that fuzzy bassline... Strange Little Girl, European Female and Always The Sun are utterly gorgeous. Skin Deep and 96 Tears are ridiculously catchy. And I love their version of Walk On By.

And, to lower the tone, Jean Jacques Burnel was a fricking hottie! :D And he still looks quite well for his age.

There was something kinda attractive about Hugh Cornwell when he was younger too - possibly the voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Is it possible for a band to be overrated in a particular region? :p

If so, Kings of Leon in this neck of the woods. The emperor has no clothes! And, and this is from a Bob Dylan fan, he really can't sing. I'll admit a song or two is listenable, but their albums are interminable.

Cue the slings and arrows ;)

Yeah but I think it's universally accepted Dylan can't sing.

Hmmm... in my opinion Kings of Leon are a breath of fresh air in the midst of all this bland, generic "indie".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

As I always say. Bad singer, great vocalist :P

But the squeals and such from the Kings of Leon singer hurt my ears. And the lyrics aren't much cop, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

i think what Mike says needs to be echoed; This isn't sodding Q magazine. A list of the 'over-rated' and the 'under-rated' is largely pointless because it's completely subjective.

Nobody has laid down criteria for who does the rating, be it 'over' or 'under'. Chart sales and success are, presumably, right out the window.

this strikes me as just another thread for people to

a) have a go at big bands
    b) show off their breath of knowledge of music by mentioning some ruddy also-ran.
    c) mention their favourites.

I can think of oodles of bands who don't sell many records but are loved by critics, and even more who sell records by the shedload and are hated by the critics.

I could list them here, but ultimately, what would be the point?

I could list them here, but ultimately, what would be the point?
    a) have a go at big bands
    b) show off their breath of knowledge of music by mentioning some ruddy also-ran.
    c) mention their favourites.

Answered your own question there, bub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Most over-rated - Nirvana , Radiohead , Muse , Foo Fighters ,

Most under-rated - Republic of Loose (great pop songs) , British Sea Power , Grandaddy ( they were as good as the flaming lips IMO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Over rated - U2, Muse, and dare I say it Led Zepplin. Led Zepplin good and all but I know some people who talk about them as if they are gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

fitz0 wrote: »
    Over rated - U2, Muse, and dare I say it Led Zepplin. Led Zepplin good and all but I know some people who talk about them as if they are gods.

Ooooh, thats a good one. Possibly the most over-rated band of all time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I sort of agree. Although I mainly just think that IV is hugely overrated.

The first one is a fantastic album (my favourite of theirs) and I like a few tracks off the next two as well, but I just don't dig all that sub-Tolkien wankery that started to surface later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The Zombies are one of the most under rated bands, an absolute must for any fans of The Beatles, Love etc.

Phlann wrote: »
    all that sub-Tolkien wankery that started to surface later.
    LOL I know - it's so Tap it's not even funny. I still like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I wouldn't necessarily say Zepplin are Over-rated. I have the same problem with them that I do with The Who and The Stones. Essentially, a large proportion of their catalogue is old blues tunes, with not a lot added. I'll listen to the originals thanks.

What was it Muddy Waters said about Mick Jagger?

Something like "He stole my music... but he gave me my name."

Always liked that quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

fitz0 wrote: »

zeplin are gods and if they were real gods , they would be thor the thunder god

i think the who are incredibly over rated and i tottally agree with whoever said the foo fighters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

U2 and Nirvana = over rated

under rated = Opeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Nirvana were not overrated! The only thing people seem to remember for them now is Kurt's suicide, Smells like Teen Spirit, or Courtney Love.
    Listened to Nevermind recently and i admittedly had forgotten what a stomper it is. It really is an immense album. Same goes for In Utero and Unplugged. Great albums and a blast of fresh air to listen to again.

Overrated - Queen, Guns n' Roses, Amy Winehouse,Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Libertines,Killers and pretty much everything between the covers of a copy of NME.

Underrated - Efterklang, Einsturzende Neubauten, XTC, Kerbdog, God is an Astronaut, Whipping Boy

U2.. ARE THE MOST OVER RATED BAND EVER.

I ****ING HATE THEM. :mad:

Yes yes, also agree with the RHCP.. Sooooo over rated!!!!!

Blood Sugar Sex Magik is pretty damn good, I think.

But yeah, somewhere along the way they lost the plot a bit.

Nirvana were not overrated! The only thing people seem to remember for them now is Kurt's suicide, Smells like Teen Spirit, or Courtney Love.
    Listened to Nevermind recently and i admittedly had forgotten what a stomper it is. It really is an immense album. Same goes for In Utero and Unplugged. Great albums and a blast of fresh air to listen to again.

Well put. People tend to put the man before the music when it comes to Nirvana sometimes.
    Underrated - Kerbdog, God is an Astronaut, Whipping Boy

*tips hat*

Good choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

U2 = Overrated. What a complete shower of self righteous bástards.

Dandy Warhols = Underrated.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Well put. People tend to put the man before the music when it comes to Nirvana sometimes.

*tips hat*

Good choices.

Could be.

Could be that some people see Nevermind as overrated and In Utero as their only one true classic, and thus Nirvana are overrated as they are regurly put ahead of bands with far more classic albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Coldplay - this years Muse and all but, yeah - their new song is absolutely terrible, how can a 'rock' band rely almost solely on their vocals for an entire song?

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Could be.

Could be that some people see Nevermind as overrated and In Utero as their only one true classic, and thus Nirvana are overrated as they are regurly put ahead of bands with far more classic albums.

Could be. Or...or...it could be that people often criticise the music as if they haven't listened to it; telling us it's depressing when it's laced with humour or negative when it's often full of hope, albeit a jaded, cynical hope.

I don't contend that any criticism of them is misguided, or even that claims they are over-rated are "wrong" (though I disagree with them), just that a lot of the time people don't seem to have the fundamentals right.

Also, Unplugged is an incredible live performance, one of the best ever caught on camera if you ask me.

Advertisement