Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bites kittens

Options
  • 17-08-2008 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

We've had our dog, a very excitable miniture cross breed called Rua, for about 5 months and she's close to a year old now we also have 4 kittens all from the same litter who are about 4 months old. They seem to like each other and play together all the time but the problem is that Rua is biting the kittens around the neck. She has done this pretty much from the first couple of weeks we introduced them. At first we thought she was trying to mother them because when she got a good grip she would pick them up, I know dogs don't carry their pups like cats carry their kittens. Recently though, since about the time she was recovered from her spaying operation, she seems to be becoming rougher with them, which is fine for the most part because they tend to fight back now but there is one kitten who is quite a bit smaller than the rest who doesn't fight back that much and the other day we found a small scab on her neck. We know Rua is just playing and I would never want to stop their fun altogether but can anyone give us advice on how to stop the neck biting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

izzyness wrote: »
    can anyone give us advice on how to stop the neck biting.

It is quite simple really ...don't let her.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

if she isnt stopped i forsee dead kittys .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Bitches do carry their pups by the scruff like cats do with kittens, so she is just mimicking natural behaviour in a playful manner. Still, this dog shouldn't be left unsupervised with the kittens, she doesn't know her own strength compared to them, and there will be an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 izzyness

We never leave her alone with them and they sleep in seperate rooms at night. When she is playing with them we and she starts to bite we tell her no and make her leave them alone by telling her to go to her bed and this doesn't always work cause the kittens usually follow her. I take her for long walks and my boyfriend plays with her all the time but she still has a boundless energy and wants to play with the kittens.

Advertisement