Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods

Options
  • 17-08-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Folks, I'm out of the country at the moment but I believe there was some serious flooding in the Greystones Delgany area. Was any of it close to Charlesland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Charlesland was pretty much unaffected, apart from some large puddles here and there.

Most of the damage locally seems to have been on older roads and due to blocked drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Most of the damage locally seems to have been on older roads and due to blocked drains.

See here...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055357312&highlight=graystones

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Wow, just looked at the pic. Looks bad alright. I think the only danger in Charlesland is the tree/three trout river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Wow! Was around the Burnaby area this evening and it's all very muddy.

It's chucking down again now. Still nothing to speak of around the Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Redford/ The Grove very badly flooded yesterday afternoon - 8 foot high garden wall collapsed onto and buckled the whole side of a house at The Grove. The house looked very unstable I thought. Owners away on holidays aswell - can you image comming back from the sun to discover your house half demolished.

Regarding Charlesland Golf Club - got this from them today: - "following torrential rainfall on Saturday afternoon and evening the stream adjacent to the car park burst its banks and flooding to a depth of 16" penetrated the ground floor of the clubhouse. Severe damage has been caused to the locker rooms, committe rooms, golf shop, kitchen and all store rooms........."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was a serious flood at the bottom of the SAR on Saturday - covering one entire side of the dual-carriageway and the cycle-lane/footpath for about 100 yards. I had to drive through it and it was coming up over my bumper.... It was like driving through a river.

The N11 was in a bad state too - large amounts of water flowing down from the Glen of the Downs and the Sugar Loaf. I was going north, but southbound there was a 3 mile tailback between GotD and Kilmac.

Saturday was the wettest day I can remember for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

From the Herald...

Town ravaged as rising water level floods estate

"THE TORRENTIAL rain caused shock and panic in Greystones where flood waters rushed through a quiet estate. The flooding made its way down Redford Rise in the Co Wicklow town, knocking over a wall which in turn damaged the side of a house..." more...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Charlesland was pretty much unaffected, apart from some large puddles here and there.

The roundabout from Charlesland on the Mill Road was pretty bad, almost impassable (oh thanks go to the RTE guy who blocked the path which could have helped cars avoid the deep water!). At the same time, the road from Killincarrig to Delgany was blocked as was Windgates.

I think most of the damage locally was in areas of recent(-ish) development, and this is the first time they have really been tested.

Apart from outside the council offices (which has always been a problem in heavy rain), and down at the bawn (near cinema), the other areas are all near new development. Probably due to poor drainage solutions.

Advertisement