Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner - Intermediate board buying??

Options
  • 17-08-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi Im fortunate to be living 1 to 2 hours from some of Australias most amazing beaches here in Brisbane.

Im 5'10" and 78kg Im well passed the foam board level and want to buy my own, deffo a beginner though. So many cheap going on Gumtree here so I just need to know what to look for.
    All help really appreciated. I have seen some 7ft od mini mals nearly new, back packers going home deperation sales so I wonder would one of these do me?

Gear here is so cheap and you can even surf up to an hour here on a good winter day before wind chill gets ya without a wet suit !
    cheers
    DM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah 7' would do, 7'6" - 7'9" might be better though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

so I wonder would one of these do me?

What do you want to achieve?

You wont throw a mal around like you would do a fish in 6-7 waves and you wont carve on a mal either. If it is relaxed style you want, buy a 7 6 mal or if you want to begin to carve it up but dont want to spend months adjusting to a short fish, get something like a 7ft or 6 8 fish.

I am roughly the same dimensions as yourself and have a 7 3 fish. Moves beautifully in all the swell I have attempted on her.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

IM not sure what I want to do !?!?

Boards are cheap here and I guess I just want to get use to catching waves and gain some confidence out there.

If I need to move on to a fish thats all well and good but I guess from what you say a Mal is good for now.

I cant exactly see my self cutting em up now but I do have 9 months of Summer coming up, a wagon, 3 thousand Km of beautiful surf and a GF who loves nothing more than to lie on a beach so I wont be nagged for spending to much time on the board :)

cheers
    Any good Yout ube vids on getting going ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

IM not sure what I want to do !?!?

I still maintain you should go for a 7ish ft fish. Lots of manouvrability and you might progress faster as well.

Be sure and check out Byron and Noosa you lucky b*stid. Byron on a good day is just bliss, just dont drop in on anyone. You are sure to get your nose bloodied!!

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Kell wrote: »
    I still maintain you should go for a 7ish ft fish. Lots of manouvrability and you might progress faster as well.

Be sure and check out Byron and Noosa you lucky b*stid. Byron on a good day is just bliss, just dont drop in on anyone. You are sure to get your nose bloodied!!

K-

Yeah been to both! Savage spots!

• Advertisement
Advertisement