Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Paint fading badly

Options
  • 17-08-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

Have a 2000 red toyota celica that has a paint job that is fading badly. Have tried T-CUT in the past but it dosen't do a good job on either the bonnet or the back of the car. I think it may have to do with the materials in the car, which is some places feels like plastic. Can anyone suggest anything. Have considered getting it resprayed in certain parts of the body but I'm sure it would prove expensive. Any thoughts or tips on what I can do.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I'd first of all try a magnet to identify whether any of the panels are plastic. If they are then T-Cut probably won't help at all. Faded plastic is irrecoverable as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Red cars will always fade if not looked after. Ie. washed and polished regulary.
    Plastic will not recover from fadeing but metal will if you polish or buff..

I will give you a tip. Put wd40 on and rub.. Will bring up like new for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 barney24

Thanks for the reply's so far. I ran a magnet over the area's I felt were plastic looking. From my experiment it turns out it's not plastic. The magnet sticks to it as normal. I will try out the wd40.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

could be a bad respray?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Of course plastic can be brought back to life, why wouldn't it...

Here is a Mazda we done last week....

13.jpg

Right side polished, left side not polished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

thats not polished, thats buffed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

It's a terrible terrible colour (I should know, I have a red one). Red is quite difficult to match. Bring it to a professional and get their opinion on it. See if it can be corrected or if it needs spraying.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    could be a bad respray?

That was my first thought. Possible accident damage that was poorly repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Red on a Celica is code 3P0 from what I remember, which is the same as on a Yaris. not usually a bad red for fading

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Toyota red always seems to fade around that age of car. If its only on a certain part of the car then a previous owner might have parked it half in the shade half in sun for long periods etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Most older non-metallic cars have single stage paint without any clearcoat (built in UV protection) on top so would fade far more easily. And the pigments in red paint always faded the most.

A 2000 Celica according to Paintscratch.com comes in Super Red V Clearcoat only so would have a colour coat & clearcoat from the factory.

Do the panels like the bonnet and roof look the same (consistent) before you started polishing as horizontal panels will get more of the sun that vertical ones so would fade that bit quicker. If some panels looked much worst than others they probably had a poor quality respray or may have been partly parked (exposed) to the sun for long periods as suggested by others. If they look much the same but react differently to polishing well then there must have been a partial respray undertaken in places at some stage.

What you want is a chemical cleaner polish which will remove the oxidised paint but not abrade away whatever good paint is beneath. I'd suggest you try either Gollit or Carlack as they add sealant and UV protection as well, which T-cut and most products do not. Keep the car polished with either every 3 to 4 months. Otherwise it would require machine polishing at the very least or possibly a respray to put right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you wanted to spend the money i would say to try these lads
    http://www.detailer.ie/

Advertisement