Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from Japan

Options
  • 17-08-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭

I've been looking into buying a performance car in the near future, i looked at lots of cars but i've been looking at an evo7 lately but to buy em here is a lot, to get one from Japan including delivery it'd be about 10 grand, but i've absolutely no idea how much the vrt would be and you cant put it into the online vrt calculator! If anyone here has any idea of a ballpark vrt price it'd be much appreciated. I'd be looking at a 01 car. If anyone has any expierence of importing their own car any advise would be appreciated too! Thanks all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You can put them in the on-line calculator, but bear in mind that you also need to pay VAT as well as VRT on a jap import (or any import from outside the EU). The VAT you pay is 21% on the price of the car plus shipping. Then VRT on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Just to be clear, you have to pay duty on a Japanese import car which is levied on the price of the car plus incidental costs involved getting it into Ireland (shipping, auction fees, transport costs in Japan, etc.). Duty is 10% of this figure, which is then added to the cost of the car and you are charged VAT @ 21% on the total. It can add up to a tidy sum on newer cars and you won't get your car off the docks until you pay it (and they charge a daily rate for leaving it there, too!)

Then after all that, you pay the VRT....

Advertisement