Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost Town!

Options
  • 17-08-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Letterkenny I mean, I was home last week for a few days! Where are all the tourists, has the weather kept them away or is it the damn price of everything?

As for the 'new' town centre(I mean all the new British shops btw) the place looks like an industrial estate! Could'nt they at least have brought in some architects to give a bit of interest to some of the buildings and not those square boring prefabs, all looking the same? Love the wider pavements in the main street though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i thought the same of the new 'town centre', its just a huge retail park, theres no personality about it

heard they made some improvments on the main street my self, havn't been in it for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It does have a real "bare" feel to it alright. That whole area is to be developed (depending on the outcome of the current recession) and when its completed it may be a bit more acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Another problem with the industrial estate is that its not too friendly to pedestrians on a wet day. Having to walk in the rain from Argos to Supervalue isn't fun. It's kinda sad that the retail parks are killing off the mainstreet.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

i am not from Letterkenny , but my family is and i have spent a large portion of my childhood there and go there a few times a year, the new town center has absouloutly ruined the town, its awful looking it has no heart or soul and is completely disjoined from the main street. as the years have gone buy the main street has seemed to decline as more people have moved to the new retail areas. i think in general they are horrible places, from cork to limerick to blanchards town to letterkenny they all look the same, big grey industrial looking buildings , surrounded by car parks and completely dominated by car traffic. i dont know who trains our town and city planners , but they are doing an awful job.

Letterkenny has great potential or had anyway, its got a lovely setting, but now it just feels like a bunch of disjoined housing estates a declining main street and some terrible industrial parks, it just looks like some hideous suburb not a town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

one question i always thought about,

you know when you are travelling on the derry road, you can see a bit of a lake, it's hardly the swilly itself is it? how come no business man/woman has not tried to set up boat/cruiser business or other watersports etc to attract the tourists? does ramelton big up it's historical link with the flight of the earls as it should?

wasn't there to be some sort of racing track to be built outside the town?

even the canal/stream could do with a bit of a job, i remember seeing some people fishing in it.

the town has great potential yet people down the country seem snobbish or informed of the potential of some areas in donegal.

as for the retail park, the one near the cinema? are all the shops still there? ye the buildings are ugly, but could the main street actually handled heavier traffic if the shopping centre on main st expand further? whats the story with the other set of ugly buildings on the blaney road (across from the athletic centre - xtravision) has anyone moved in yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

one question i always thought about,

you know when you are travelling on the derry road, you can see a bit of a lake, it's hardly the swilly itself is it? how come no business man/woman has not tried to set up boat/cruiser business or other watersports etc to attract the tourists?

Yes it is the Swilly, the problem with crusies from Letterkenny, is the tide; most of the time there is very little or no water in the swilly in towards letterkenny. There is one type of vessel that would be the great to use here but the cost would be very expensive.

There should really be a bridge from the derry road to the ramelton road across the swilly, this would really help with the traffic in letterkenny but that's a solution that makes too much sense to be considered by the powers that be, too late now anyway cause the country is broke.

Advertisement