Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I fecked up my CAO enormously..

Options
  • 17-08-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Ok, so i made a major mess of it , i changed it 3 times in the last ten minutes on July1st and god i feel like i've made a mistake, i want my number 9 choice so bad..how could i do this!?

The minimum points last year were 520 and i scored 545 but given that its so low on my list in terms of preference , i'm really not going to be offered it am i? God this sucks! is there any hope ? not really i suppose...

it's architecture btw. Its sort of been vocational since i was in about 3rd year, but i completely lost things during 6th year and got clouded over with all this crap going on in my life. Why ! I am willing to wait a year and reapply. But i'd love to get going now.. im really excited to do it.

any thoughts?

Comments

Don't you need a portfolio submitted early to be considered for architecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

not for UCD , surprisingly. i have lots of stuff (not completely up to scratch but i have a good few pieces) anyway, i just didnt submit... regrets? yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Myth wrote: »
    Don't you need a portfolio submitted early to be considered for architecture?
    Negative for UCD anyway.

What's your number one? You might be able to apply for a transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Here's the link for transferring courses in UCD

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

1. apply for one of the vacant courses listed on the CAO website.

2. apply for an architecture course in the UK and try to get into second year here in the course you really want next year

3. if you can get into a course in the same college apply for an internal transfer

dunno, i wouldnt say any of these options are great but look at every roundabout avenue to get into your course. the risk with waiting for next year is the points may go up.

go to www.qualifax.ie and type in architecture and see is there any level 6 course that can link into the course you want next year.

my mate desparately wanted his 5th choice before and he ended up getting it. a pure fluke but it's possible number 9 could come out at 6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm in somewhat of the same situation, looks likely i'll get my 6th choice when I want my 7th so badly, never thought id be looking so far down my cao really thats why I didn't put much thought from number 5 onwards.
    Though I'd be happy with both as there basically the same course I really want to go to UCC (7th choice...)
    6am tomorrow morning will tell all.

Good luck to all

I found this in the handbook, which is quite interesting..

When the ratings for all the qualified applicants (i.e.
    applicants who have met minimum entry requirements)
    have been calculated, a list of applicants for every course
    is drawn up in order of merit, showing for each course the
    applicant with the highest score at the top of the list, and
    descending to the lowest score at the bottom of the list.
    Within each course list, the fact that an applicant has put
    that particular course as her first choice or her tenth choice
    is irrelevant; only her rating will determine her position in
    the order of merit list for each course.

dunno though

if you dont get UCD tomorrow or in round 2 would you apply for the vacant places in UCD arts (evening) currently available on www.cao.ie and try to get in the back door.

mightn't be ethically right to potentially take a place from someone who really wants it just so you can get in the back door but theres nothing in the cao handbook about being having to be nice :D

of course theres no guarantee that would work. still hurdles after that to climb

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

daggy wrote: »
    Ok, so i made a major mess of it , i changed it 3 times in the last ten minutes on July1st and god i feel like i've made a mistake, i want my number 9 choice so bad..how could i do this!?

The minimum points last year were 520 and i scored 545 but given that its so low on my list in terms of preference , i'm really not going to be offered it am i? God this sucks! is there any hope ? not really i suppose...

it's architecture btw. Its sort of been vocational since i was in about 3rd year, but i completely lost things during 6th year and got clouded over with all this crap going on in my life. Why ! I am willing to wait a year and reapply. But i'd love to get going now.. im really excited to do it.

any thoughts?
    when i opened my leaving cert results i was over the moon i got 450 and i was gonna be happy with 300 but then depression hit..
    :confused: i rechecked wat i put in my cao and realised i cant do 5/8 choices on my cao because i didnt achieve certain grades in certain subjects. I dont want my first two choices now and blah blah i bascially made a b0llix of it all!!!
    I know my only option is to wait a whole year and reapply for the cao with a proper list of choices (i must have been langers or something applying this year) but is there any other way into courses avoiding the evil cao???:(:(

i did a portfolio for an art college nd got 260 add that to my lc points and got like 705. the coure is 780....
    I got an A1 in the mocks Art and B1 in the leaving so I thought id get higher in my portfolio and get my 1st choice therefore throwing down any thing underneath that...
    now im f***ked I couldnt bear missing out of 1st year college with all my friends and be stuck 3hours away from the city.(thats how far the drive is
    but then again missing out on one year is better than doing a four year course that I dont like........
    yeah I better look into plc courses but if I put a Course I wanted second knowing that i would be clear of getting it by 50 points is gutting!

MY ADVICE TO ANY 5TH YEARS : spend time doing your cao and expect the unexpected:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

a definite yes for the CAO - do not think in terms of points, think in terms of what you want to do; that is how you should put your courses down from 1-10

• Advertisement

I found this in the handbook, which is quite interesting..

When the ratings for all the qualified applicants (i.e.
    applicants who have met minimum entry requirements)
    have been calculated, a list of applicants for every course
    is drawn up in order of merit, showing for each course the
    applicant with the highest score at the top of the list, and
    descending to the lowest score at the bottom of the list.
    Within each course list, the fact that an applicant has put
    that particular course as her first choice or her tenth choice
    is irrelevant; only her rating will determine her position in
    the order of merit list for each course.

dunno though

i think all it means is that if it was between you and someone else for architecture then just because you had put it ninth and they had put it first would not come against you. it comes down to points. but what takes precedence over the quote from the handbook is that you will always be offered your highest choice that you qualify for and you are automatically barred (through the 2008 cao system) from anything below that. if your choices 1 to 8 are all 550 and above and architecture in ucd is 540 or less then you have your number 9 option. slim i know

serves me right...Damn it.i was looking at my application and i prob dont even qualify for3 or 4 of my choices but i suppose that wont really improve my chances. god this is frustration!

the freephone exam helpline is 1800 265 165. i presume they are open tomorrow :rolleyes:

serves me right...Damn it.i was looking at my application and i prob dont even qualify for3 or 4 of my choices but i suppose that wont really improve my chances. god this is frustration!

if you dont qualify for 4 of your choices then you have improved your chances by 50%. now you only have to hope that 4 courses of your first 8 are 550 or above instead of 8. light at the end of the tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

yeah its so frustrating... esp if all your friends are prob ranting on about gettin their course! I think your in the same boat as me..
    you cant book accom cos u dont know where ur goin,
    youve got your points but they feel useless to u.
    .............wanna help petrol bomb the cao office??? haha messing

hahaha right well then i'm almost 98% fecked since i scored almost 100 points above choice number one. **slaps self**

whats choice number 1? some courses are very volatile. remember the points listed for 2007 are the FINAL round points and while some courses like arts rarely change between rounds others can change according to the points table for 07 in the paper on wednesday by over 100 points. yeah i know its slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

I fear i may have also..

I got 405 so didn't get my first choice which delighted me because i realised too late that i didn't want to do it..

I got 20 over last years minimum points for my 2nd choice which i really really want but it only takes in 75 people..

So sad thinking that i might not get it for putting it down second..

Edit: Got it. :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

ryanj wrote: »
    do not think in terms of points, think in terms of what you want to do; that is how you should put your courses down from 1-10

Its amazing the sheer number of retards who cant grasp this most basic of concepts. If someone doesnt go for courses they just want, instead basing it on points, they deserve whatever **** gets thrown at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

im regretting my CAO choices, i kinda only bothered with no1 then put rest down randomly and ive a horrible feeling im gonna miss out on no1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The information is all there in the handbook and online. I don't see how it's complicated at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Myth wrote: »
    The information is all there in the handbook and online. I don't see how it's complicated at all.

/agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

CAO is really straight forward.

UCAS - now thats another kettle of fish altogether...

Advertisement