Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety gadget for door hinges where can I get one ?

Options
  • 17-08-2008 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Do anyone know where I could buy a device to protect a toddler from getting his finger jammed in the hinge side of a door? I seen devices online that would be perfect but no shops that I've tried in Dublin stock them.Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Would a hook do the job? Cant remember exactly what they are called now. You would attach the hook part to the wall and then the other part on the door so the door cant be closed. We picked up a few in woodies last week. Put them far in so only adults can reach them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Speer

Ludo wrote: »
    Would a hook do the job? Cant remember exactly what they are called now. You would attach the hook part to the wall and then the other part on the door so the door cant be closed. We picked up a few in woodies last week. Put them far in so only adults can reach them.
    Nah,hooks aren't the job.Adults forget to put them on.There are so great products i've seen on the internet that'll do the job.A product called 'fingershield' is brilliant and practical.I asked in homebase today and they hadn't a clue what i was looking for.If anyone knows a stockist of this kind of product i'd be grateful.

Buy it online...probably way cheaper. Or better yet...make one yourself. They dont exactly look like high tech items.

Hooks also serve a dual purpose so they are great...prevent crawler (not toddler yet) from going into a room and closing door behind him and deciding to sit behind it and leaving us locked out. Also prevent them from repeatedly slamming door against stopper until it rebounds and hits him on the head :D

Cant wait for online order.Have to find something tomorrow in a shop.surprised mothercare or mamas and papas don't have anything like this.Thanks for your help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Is it a sponge type of thing that stops the door from closing ?.
    I bought some of them in a local (Tralee) discount store 2/3 years ago.

• Advertisement

it's like a long strip of plastic that blocks toddlers from sticking their fingers into the door gap yet it allows the door to open and close without any bother.

dh0661 wrote: »
    Is it a sponge type of thing that stops the door from closing ?.
    I bought some of them in a local (Tralee) discount store 2/3 years ago.

Unfortunately they don't prevent the danger the OP is trying to prevent....the hinge side of the door will still close with those foam door stopper yokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Speer wrote: »
    it's like a long strip of plastic that blocks toddlers from sticking their fingers into the door gap yet it allows the door to open and close without any bother.

I do know what you are on about, every Mc Ds restruant in the country is fitted with them but I think that they are only available to those in trade and not for homes.

http://www.fingersafe.com/whatisfingersafe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Could you do something make shift until the online order arrives if you need it sorted so soon? Put on your Blue Peter badge (and listen to the a-team music). A bit of cello and cardboard would work temporarily.

• Advertisement

I'm heading down to woodies to see if they have anything.Looks like I'll have to order online because I'm hopeless at DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Hey OP, go to your nearest Woodies DIY. They are about 85c each there.

killwill wrote: »
    Hey OP, go to your nearest Woodies DIY. They are about 85c each there.
    I tried woodies.They never heard of the strip of plastic that blocks the hinge side of the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

I know the sponge things...I think we got them in them pampers goodie bag when my wife was in hospital.

I find if you roll up a tea towel and chuck it over the top of the door it does the trick just as well...and you can size the tea towel to whatever thickness you like.

On a side note...does anyone know if there is such a thing as a fire place protector...or something you can form around the edge to save a little one from hitting their heads should they fall??

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

I've seen one of them in my childminders house and as far as I know she got it in Smyths, a padded/inflated hose that she secured to the edge of the hearth of the fireplace. hth.

Yep...smyths definitely have them. I got that fire place protectors there a few weeks ago. Rip off though. 28 euro. I should just have got some pipe insulation and used that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

pipe insulation? You mean the stuff in your attic? Mine would rip that to shreds or eat it!

Advertisement