Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Best decade for rock/metal?

• 17-08-2008 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

i was wondering what was the best decade for rock and metal and i think it was without doubt the seventies. any different ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

80's imo. some of the best metal came out in that decade,metallica/slayer/anthrax etc.

80's and 90's probably for rock,g n' r/faith no more/grunge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Did you really have to type '4' instead of the word 'For' in the thread title? And while I'm having a gripe, were seven question marks really necessary?

As for the question itself, that's a tough one. I'm going to go with the nineties as that's the decade that most of my favourite albums were released in. How come you chose the seventies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I'm sure this has been done before. 60's for me, their is something about the naivety of the decade, that everything was up for trying (could an album like ummagumma be released today?), rock had been born and metamorphised out of Rock'n'Roll and blues into something that was flamboyant and fun. Most of the great bands of the seventies have their starting point in the 60's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

This is the best decade ever. More variety; more bands to hear. Metal clones are dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

randy lug wrote: »
    i was wondering what was the best decade for rock and metal and i think it was without doubt the seventies. any different ideas?

Why does it matter? I'll listen to music from any decade as long as it's good. There's been great music made every decade since as long as Rock has been around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Definitly the 80s for me. So many great and highly influential bands came out that decade like Iron Maiden, Sisters of Mercy, Bathory, Fields of The Nephilim, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cult, megadeth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

70's and 80's, but I think every decade (including the 60's) has their gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Definitly the 80s for me. So many great and highly influential bands came out that decade like Iron Maiden, Sisters of Mercy, Bathory, Fields of The Nephilim, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cult, megadeth etc.

Actually Maiden came out in the 70's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

theozster wrote: »

Very true, but they did'nt release their first album until 1980.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Why does it matter? I'll listen to music from any decade as long as it's good. There's been great music made every decade since as long as Rock has been around.

Calm down there bosco, he was only asking a question. :rolleyes:

Anyway, in my opinion, I'd say the 70's. Some fine musical talent came from that decade (i.e. AC/DC, Dire Straits, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Calm down there bosco, he was only asking a question. :rolleyes:

Calm down there yourself, I was only answering the question. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Now as (to paraphrase John Peel) you have all the latest music and all the greats that have gone before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I'd have to say the 90's simply because thats when Korn was released, aswell as mate feed kill repeat. They would possibly be my top two albums of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

theozster wrote: »

Ahhhh I was gunna say that...

You can't just say 'which decade'. Each decade certainly has its seminal gems, all of which need to be fully understood to see why all the older guys like me think HIM and My Chemical Romance are ghey.

Deep Purple - Machinehead. Machinehead is an album, not a band, I always like to say. And it's truly a landmark in terms of where blues and rock began to move towards what we call metal today.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. I'm sure enough has been said of this album in the past, and on into the future, for us to know that it's dark doomy undertones set the tone for innumerable acts which came in Sabbath's wake.

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny/Painkiller. 2nd album was just simply a work of art. Painkiller is considered their greatest by many but I found that as you get older you realise that SWoD is their true zenith.

All of these bands have their roots in the late 60's thru to the 70's - whether it be the date they formed, or whether it be the times from which they derived their own influences.

The 80's did indeed provide us with thrash, as Metallica and Megadeth were formed, while the 90's gave us GREAT albums, but in truth we often confuse great albums with great bands. Can anyone say with hand on heart that RHCP have produced an album better than Blood Sugar Sex Magic? Or that Alice in Chains were always improving after DIRT?

I suppose it's fair to say that every fan has his/her favourites but for me, if you took the years 1977 - thru 1987 and left the rest out I doubt I'd be missing much... Except the stuff from pre-1977 LOL.

By the way - Acheron's Bebo is up and running too so feel free to send in an Add request and we'll try keep you apprised of metal gigs in the south.

Blaze Bayley (ex Maiden) and Gorgoroth coming up. As well as Vreid...

www.bebo.com/acheron_promotions

Advertisement