Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Using a repeater and now upnp won't show

• 17-08-2008 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a netgear wireless router with upnp switched on. The playstation in a different room picked up the windows media server shares fine every time. Now I've added a linksys wrt54gl with dd-wrt loaded on it as a repeater. It does everything great but my upnp shares don't show up anymore.

I tried switching upnp to ON on the wrt54gl and Off (because apparently the repeater just mirrors the original signal and there's no need to have it on). Neither let's it show up. Firewall is off. I've also opened all ports for the IP address the wrt54gl is connecting as on the original netgear router.

They are two different subnets if that makes a difference? The original network is 192.168.0.1. The repeater was told to use this as a gateway and then uses 192.168.1.1 for its own address. I don't understand it fully, but apparently this shouldn't stop upnp working.

Any obvious mistakes I'm making?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Have you tried switching the routers around? Using the linksys by itself? Others have reported problems with upnp on linksys repeaters: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psnetwork&message.id=201834

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Thanks for the reply onikage. I didn't switch them around because the netgear can't act as a repeater so I was stuck with the arrangement.

I've actually just sorted the problem through a bit of luck and thought I'd write it here to help anyone with a similar problem. All the guides I read mentioned putting the linksys in 'repeater' mode but it was 'repeater bridge' mode I needed. This puts everything in the same subnet and upnp and daap etc. work grand now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Doesn't sound like its set up like a repeater? It has to be routing as well as repeating.

If it was just a repeater I'd expect it to be on the SAME subnet as the network it was acting as a repeater for.

Can you set the IP to be on the 192.168.0.0 network and the default gateway to be the orignal routers IP?

If its a true "dumb" repeater it should also pass any DHCP requests from the original router so any wireless client will also be on the same 192.168.0.0/24 network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Ah I see now...

There are two ways of creating an extended network. If both APs support it, you can use WDS which gives you one subnet. This is the normal "repeater" mode.

But innisfrees netgear AP doesn't support WDS, so the alternative is to use the dd-wrt specific "repeater bridge" mode. This is intended to work with any generic AP and puts you on different subnets. More about it here: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3655041

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Pretty much, yep. It's a universal repeater.

The original 'repeater' mode that I picked was after seeing it advised in many guides and following them. This leaves the original repeater at its 192.168.0.1 address and keeps the repeater at a 192.168.1.1 address. Anything joining the first repeater goes to 192.168.0.x and anything joining the repeater goes to 192.168.1.x (It too has DCPT or whatever that acronym is? I can't remember it now). They all share the internet connection off the original router.

The 'repeater bridge' mode required me to manually change the dd-wrt router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.2 and switch DCPT (again, wrong acronym, sorry) off. I had bad results trying to put the dd-wrt router into the same 192.168.0.x address when I was just trying repeater mode so I thought it wouldn't work with 'repeater bridge' mode. It did though after I reset the original router to let it settle all the new addresses about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement