Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW 1.4 c v Hyundai Coupe 1.6

Options
  • 17-08-2008 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

looking at buying 2nd hand car but can't choose between 07 vw 1.4 comfortline (no extras) or a 07 1.6 Hyundai Coupe. both cars with low mileage & well priced. i'm not a speed merchant so 0-60's isn't very important and a test drive in the vw seemed ok.
    the plus side on the vw for me is its re-sale value, safety features and general reliability, but i have a gut feeling that i could get bored with it. the plus side of the coupe is its looks, its bigger engine and its sunroof.
    any suggestions? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sorry to put a fly in the ointment, but the Golf isn't that reliable, in fact the Hyundai will be more reliable. Resale on the Coupe is very strong too,
    I wouldn't say the Hyundai will retain more value after a few years, it won't be far behind.
    The bigger engine in the Coupe won't make that much difference, the 1.6 is pretty lazy, should be about the same as the Golf performance wise.

Golf will have heated mirrors, cruise control, curtain airbags, auto lights and wipers that the Coupe doesn't get, but the Coupe will have alloys and fogs, sunroof and half leather over the Golf.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't know how frugal a 1.4 Golf is but I had an '02 Hyundai Coupe 1.6 and found it pretty crap on petrol for a 1.6. It struggled to get 30mpg whereas my current 1.8 litre Civic easily gets 40mpg. Both doing the same daily route too.

SEAT Leon might be a good compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget the Golf in 1.4 form, it only has around 75/80bhp which is gutless in such a heavy car. You would need to at least get the 1.6 FSi engine for decent enough performance. And I'm not talking about speed here but decent take off and comfortable overtaking.

The Golf does have good resale values which seems to be due to the Irish fasination of being seen as an icon of status or image for the 20 somethings but reliability can be patchy on them, the 1.4 non TSi engine is known to be weak along with the gearbox. The Golf would probably win on safety over the Hyundai too being a fresher design and aimed at a different market.

The Hyundai on the other hand is stylish, nice to drive, more reliable and has a longer warranty. Downside is that the interior lets you know that the car was built with a tight budget in mind, from the after market, out of place stereo to the cheap shine off some of the trim. The 1..6 will not burn up roads but is fine for Irish roads, the point of the Coupe is that it is more for style and value for money than performance.

As an alternative it might be worth looking at the Kia Pro Cee'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Having both experience with the Coupe and the Golf i think you are two completly different markets. The back seats in the coupe are grand it your not over 5"5 and the driver/passengers aren't tall either. They are a very heavy car and you are very low as far as a driving position is concerned.

I would be more keen on buying the older model, rather than the facelift with doesn't look as good IMO and from what i've seen myself they haven't sold as well as the previous.
    Something like this
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/Coupe/1.6-FX/1119225/

As for the Golf i find they are spacious for what they are. Nice drive and with the comfortline you will get as colm mentioned the auto lights on etc. As mentioned above, with the power to weight ratio i would say the two are the same power wise. There are so many Golf's out there to choose from, not as many Coupé's. I think you would get a better deal in the long run on the Golf, but as for depriciation, the lad i know with the coupe has a 05, with full service history and 90kms+ and got offered €15.5K for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I'm 6'1 and find the front of a coupe fine, back is a bit cramped but I figure anyone under 5'10 would be fine height wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Golf 1.4 , generally a bit sluggish. Recommend a 1.6 golf or tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Tragedy wrote: »
    I'm 6'1 and find the front of a coupe fine, back is a bit cramped but I figure anyone under 5'10 would be fine height wise.

The front seats are perfect, the fella i know is 6"6, but even in the back with some1 smaller it is still very uncomfortable and claustrophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭omerin

thanks for the replys. i would have concerns over the resale value of the kia and seat, but i do like the look of the seat.
    i've never owned a diesel car in my 12 years of driving, but looking at car sales websites with the budget i have the diesel golf would be an older car then 07 with generally high mileage.
    i'm edging towards the coupe but this is doing my head in :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Go with what you happier with!
    I would go for the Hyundai myself. And with the way the market is at the moment we're all screwed with resale.

A car is very rarely an investment, so go with something that is fun.

Both cars are fairly sluggish. But do not buy into this whole VW most reliable cars on the planet.
    The copue looks fun, its trying to look fast, go slow. The golfs i think are kinda boring, both are fairly common on the roads so you aint going to stand out.
    If your young and don't have to ferry kids around why not try the coupe?
    If you enjoy having the mates in the car with you get the golf, but if your getting a golf, seriously look at the leon.
    Its more sporty feeling to drive then a standard golf.

Give more info on budget maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

hey,
    just traded a 06 coupe in, gave me no trouble whatsoever, solid relaible car - 07 slightly newer design and better looking, and if u shop about should get one reasonable enough.Fairly good mpg also.The 1.6fx lacks a bit of pep on the way to 60, but if that is not issue, defo think solid, good, reliable comfortable car(not just for hairdressers:). Have driven a 2.0 also and better but mainly from 0-60 perpective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

bazz26 wrote: »
    Forget the Golf in 1.4 form, it only has around 75/80bhp which is gutless in such a heavy car. You would need to at least get the 1.6 FSi engine for decent enough performance. And I'm not talking about speed here but decent take off and comfortable overtaking.

The Golf does have good resale values which seems to be due to the Irish fasination of being seen as an icon of status or image for the 20 somethings but reliability can be patchy on them, the 1.4 non TSi engine is known to be weak along with the gearbox. The Golf would probably win on safety over the Hyundai too being a fresher design and aimed at a different market.

The Hyundai on the other hand is stylish, nice to drive, more reliable and has a longer warranty. Downside is that the interior lets you know that the car was built with a tight budget in mind, from the after market, out of place stereo to the cheap shine off some of the trim. The 1..6 will not burn up roads but is fine for Irish roads, the point of the Coupe is that it is more for style and value for money than performance.

As an alternative it might be worth looking at the Kia Pro Cee'd.

The golf is one of the lightest cars in its class! (Thats the first and only time I've said something positive about one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I'd go with the Hyundai Coupe ,unless you have kids or aged 40 +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

What price is the Coupe?

I'm selling a 2006 Blue 1.6L 21k mls warranty untill Feb 2011 for €15,750 which is a pretty good price imo :) Drives like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Ronanom wrote: »
    What price is the Coupe?

I'm selling a 2006 Blue 1.6L 21k mls warranty untill Feb 2011 for €15,750 which is a pretty good price imo :) Drives like new.

did you pay extra for 5 yr warranty?

Keith C wrote: »
    did you pay extra for 5 yr warranty?

UK import I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

My Dads Sata Fe came from the UK and it benefited from the 5 year warranty here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

It's actually a Northern car originally. Quite a big thing if someones wanted to sell it on in 2 years time IMO.

Advertisement