Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Notification by text message

• 17-08-2008 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Does anyone know how I can get my email account to send me a text message when i have new mail. Is there software out there that will do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

I know Vodafone used to provide the service of text notification, when using their own vodafone.ie email. Not aware of any other service, I'm afraid!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Some networks allow you to send email to numbers by sending then to a certain email. For meteor i think the address is 08xxxxxxxx@sms.meteor.ie (on my mobile atm. Not arsed to check at the moment.)

What you could do is forward all incoming mail to such an address.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

I can forward my email to my email@o2.ie and configure o2 email alerts to notify me everytime i get a new email. The only problem with this is o2 charge me 11c every time they send me an alert and I'm geting 30+ emails a day.

I'd like something that can be configured to only alert me at weekends a not more than once every two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robinvn

IsaBrown wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can get my email account to send me a text message when i have new mail. Is there software out there that will do this?

I used Flurry, http://www.flurry.com/help/tour/email.do, but then saw that sometimes it skips some emails, which made it pretty useles for me.
    Anyway, it's free and you can easily configure it... Hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

I get free text notification of emails arriving in my free vodafone email account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

Thanks robinvn, I tried seting up an SMS alert in flurry but get the following message.

:mad:Sorry, text message alerts are not yet available for O2 (Esat Digifone). :mad:

grey squirrel, do vodafone charge for the txt notification and is it configurable allowing you to restrict the number of alerts you recieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robinvn

I tried it once on my Meteor and that worked.. also they never charged me anything so not too bad for a free service. Pity it doesn't work on O2 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

The Vodafone text alert comes in every time you receive an email, but there is no charge for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

hey there,

if you are getting that many e-mails a day it might be an idea to get the push mail so that the e-mail goes straight to your phone rather than a text. I have it with vodafone it's 20 euro a month and it's dead handy for when i'm on client sites etc. i have my work email (microsoft exchange) and my personal vodafone.ie mail account both coming directly to the handset.

might be an option.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have my phone setup to connect directly to gmail and get an alert each time an email comes in. It's not actual SMS though, but it does beep at me and seems to be a touch quicker at responding to new emails than the PC installed gmail alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Some networks allow you to send email to numbers by sending then to a certain email. For meteor i think the address is 08xxxxxxxx@sms.meteor.ie (on my mobile atm. Not arsed to check at the moment.)

What you could do is forward all incoming mail to such an address.
    Doesn't seem to be a valid server. Tried sms.mymeteor.ie as well to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

3538xxxxxxxx@mms.mymeteor.ie

Yup thats it. Just checked that the address is correct. I didn't check however if the server actually works tho. Replacing mms with sms used to send sms versions logically enough, but ronny checked that so it looks like the server is no longer working :(

EDIT: correct address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I checked too. I forget to check my credit before and after tho. Does this cost money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

jmccrohan wrote: »
    3538xxxxxxxx@mms.mymeteor.ie

Yup thats it. Just checked that the address is correct. I didn't check however if the server actually works tho. Replacing mms with sms used to send sms versions logically enough, but ronny checked that so it looks like the server is no longer working :(

EDIT: correct address

Does anyone know if this can be done for O2.
    I rang cust care and he couldn't figure out what I was asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

There doesn't seem to be a charge at all. My credit hasn't changed.

But it turns out my current phone doesn't support html email. Wonder what happens to attachments....

/wanders off to do some testing. Back from testing (see info below)

Turns out that the subject of the email becomes the subject of the MMS (makes sense I guess),
    plain text shows as a text object,
    html text shows as a html object (which my phone won't support),
    attached images show as an image object.

I haven't tried audio or video yet, but presumably there'll be a max filesize on it anyway, anyone know what the max filesize is in a MMS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

anyone know if its possible to use your meteor email address with mail exchange on s60 phones, I've got an nokia e51 but don't know where to start. also would this cost much money each time i recieve a new email or does it just depend on the size of the mail?

Any advice would be great, thanks!

anyone know what the max filesize is in a MMS?

100kb i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

robinph wrote: »
    I have my phone setup to connect directly to gmail and get an alert each time an email comes in. It's not actual SMS though, but it does beep at me and seems to be a touch quicker at responding to new emails than the PC installed gmail alerts.

I do that aswell, using the inbuild Nokia email client on my N95. You can set it up to automatically check for mails periodically. However to do this it would be recommended to have a data add-on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement