Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arrrrgggh, am i being unreasonable

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Is it me or is that behaviour ridiculously forward and bordering on rude and was i right to be annoyed by it???
    Methinks you answered your own question?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

the op repeatedly said the guy invited himself over...Maybe you're just **** at reading threads?
    touche

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

I have to agree with the OP only this afternoon a friend of mine text me to say she was calling over, I made her a cup of tea and offered her a biscuit, around an hour later she said "I'm hungry" she did the same last week and it pissed me off. If I'd invited her for lunch or dinner her hunger would have been my fault but she was only calling over for a chat so I don't see why I should be expected to cook for her. You're right OP plus any time I call over to someone's house for drinks I never turn up empty handed I'd always bring chocolate or crisps or something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

definetely dont answer the door next time. TBH if he was annoying me that much, i wouldnt have bothered with him at all.

I don't understand why you let him back in after the dinner.
    I'd have got him good and liquored up, confiscated his keys and shoes, took him for a spin up the mountains and dumped him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I never answer my front door unless i'm expecting someone, otherwise i just ignore it.

I never answer my front door unless i'm expecting someone, otherwise i just ignore it.

Criminal TV liscense guy evader alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't understand why you let him back in after the dinner.
    I'd have got him good and liquored up, confiscated his keys and shoes, took him for a spin up the mountains and dumped him.

LOL:D!!! I don't know either!! I think i was just dumbfounded by his behaviour and was at a loss as to how to handle it!!

Methinks i just need to book my decent man sensors in for a full service!! Honestly!! Hairy backs and Unmannerly gobsheens:rolleyes:..... theres gotta be SOMEbody normal around the corner!!!;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd say the looking through the cupboards was a bit off. Not good, unless he was doing it to tidy up after the night before or looking to make you something for breakfast.

The inviting himself was a bit presumptuous too(tbh I would have uninvited him in your shoes). Indeed as he invited himself you would have expected him to bring something. Sounds like you provided everything. Not good.

The "fix you" bit may have been just an off the cuff, jokey remark. Men are more likely to say such stuff and it not having any weight behind it. But considering the rest it just adds to it.

I would say he sounds like a bit of a knob. Not my cup of tea anyway if it was a woman pulling that stuff.

I would agree with How Strange, you're just incompatible and grate off each other. Some people are just like that; very presumptuous, at least to those who are more reserved(I would be the latter). Not a great match.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

He didn't ring, he just arrived over ?
    Why didn't you ask him to leave ?

Turning up late when you have cooked for him is very rude, sounds like he generally has no manners at all and expects your place to be like his mothers.

• Advertisement

LOL:D!!! I don't know either!! I think i was just dumbfounded by his behaviour and was at a loss as to how to handle it!!

Methinks i just need to book my decent man sensors in for a full service!! Honestly!! Hairy backs and Unmannerly gobsheens:rolleyes:..... theres gotta be SOMEbody normal around the corner!!!;)

Sometimes you just have to let things playout for the amusement factor.

Does he still live with his Mamie by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The more I was reading this thread the more it was reminding me of someone...

The looking in presses..

Turning up uninvited..

The rude comments..

He reminds me of my mother in law!!:eek: Get rid!!!:eek: If he is like this, can you imagine his MOTHER!!!

Wibbs wrote: »

I would agree with How Strange, you're just incompatible and grate off each other. Some people are just like that; very presumptuous, at least to those who are more reserved(I would be the latter). Not a great match.

Yes, i would agree, i am very social and outgoing, but i am also quite reserved about certain things, especially at home, and especially about stuff like that, as im fiercely independent and really like my own space.

I think the whole thing has went beyond the amusement factor.... i think thats why i continued to entertain him, part of me wanted to see what other crazy things he'd do!! Still if i ever write a book it will at least be a most entertaining chapter.

O, and yes, i was muchos pissed off bout the dinner incident, that was a huge reason why he was never invited into my boudoir i confess!!

He no eat my meal he no get sexy time LOL;)

And for the record, he doesn't live with mammy, building his own house at the mo, and doing strange things with it by all accounts, told me he wasn't painting his bedrooom as the bare plasterwork was 'such a beautiful colour'..... WTF!!!

I had to break it to him that the beautiful colour wouldn't last and eventually it'd dry out to a sh*tty chalky pinkish-white colour..... MONG!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think the whole thing has went beyond the amusement factor.... i think thats why i continued to entertain him, part of me wanted to see what other crazy things he'd do!!
    :) yea but be careful about that, as you never know with some loons out there.
    O, and yes, i was muchos pissed off bout the dinner incident, that was a huge reason why he was never invited into my boudoir i confess!!

I would have put the last line slightly differently...... ;) Seems like a fair trade in fairness.:D
    And for the record, he doesn't live with mammy, building his own house at the mo, and doing strange things with it by all accounts, told me he wasn't painting his bedrooom as the bare plasterwork was 'such a beautiful colour'..... WTF!!!

I had to break it to him that the beautiful colour wouldn't last and eventually it'd dry out to a sh*tty chalky pinkish-white colour..... MONG!!!!!
    Still it's his bedroom, so..... Just another tick on the list of incompatibilities though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I dont know why people are so hung up at "univited guests"...I love people calling over for a cuppa or whatever. Or if someone says "will I call over for a glass of wine"..thats fine by me too :)

I also wouldnt have any problem with someone wanting something to eat in my house either, food is there to be eaten, as a guest in my house I would have offered/or if they asked, I would have made it. Because its my house, and they are a guest in my house.

But, he annoyed you anyway, and if a friend behaved in the same way, am sure you wouldnt have been offended..he grated your nerves in the first place, so everything he did would have been noticed..Id prob be the same in that instance.

Ya should just leave it be with him. He obv really pisses ya off.

A crude way of putting it i admit, but if he didnt respect my efforts to cook him something by at least turning up reasonably on time to eat it, then i didnt see why i should put out!!!

Wibbs you're so diplomatic!! I really can't think how anybody could actually conceivably like bare plaster though!!!;)

Wibbs you're so diplomatic!! I really can't think how anybody could actually conceivably like bare plaster though!!!;)
    Actually I like the colour of plaster before it's gone off. Better than the sickly magnolia common in a lot of homes.:D

I think the whole thing has went beyond the amusement factor.... i think thats why i continued to entertain him, part of me wanted to see what other crazy things he'd do!! Still if i ever write a book it will at least be a most entertaining chapter.

Well know you know he made you feeling hugely uncomfortable in your own home, thats never a good thing.

Again I am puzzled as to why you let him back in your house.

Fair enough, your life, your house, your rules.

People are odd and it seems he is a tad clueless.
    Methinks i just need to book my decent man sensors in for a full service!! Honestly!! Hairy backs and Unmannerly gobsheens..... theres gotta be SOMEbody normal around the corner!!!

Eh at this stage I think there is no such thing as normal and once we get out of our twenties and heading to 40 we are willing to put up with a lot less and we are very well defined in what we like and don't like which makes it harder.

Thaedydal wrote: »

Eh at this stage I think there is no such thing as normal and once we get out of our twenties and heading to 40 we are willing to put up with a lot less and we are very well defined in what we like and don't like which makes it harder.

Normal in relative terms then, or at least relative to me.

And im as odd as two left feet in ways i will freely admit!! (and stubborn and exact and fussy also!)

These encounters are all part of life I guess!!

Actually I like the colour of plaster before it's gone off. Better than the sickly magnolia common in a lot of homes.:D

Until it dries out!! I had my little heart broken by a plasterer before so i confess to not being so keen on plaster since!!!

As for said sickly magnolia i am in the process of buying a house covered in the stuff

**shudder**

• Advertisement

You and the romans.

Not everyone can stomach strong colours, I have family members that still cringe at the dining section of
    my kitchen done in purple ( African Violet to be precise. )

You and the romans.

and the crazy dude from County Galway... LOL:D

I went thru a phase of strong colours in my house...thinking back they were pretty vile,, shocking orange and yellow and such like, real eye-hurting stuff!! my own bedroon was a radiating turquoise at one stange....seriously, the walls throbbed!!

African violet sounds very rich and lovely though!!

As for said sickly magnolia i am in the process of buying a house covered in the stuff

**shudder**

Sellers get told to paint it that colour by the estate agents,
    big bright and neutral, clean fresh paint job in the cheapest bright colour there is.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

caoibhin wrote: »
    Without even reading the original post, and this being the ladies lounge,

Yes, yes you are being unreasonable.

Awaits infraction.

Screw the infraction, if you can't offer anything sensible to the conversation I think TLL can do without you for a bit. Banned for two days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Weirdo tbh. (Him, not you!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

arrrrgggh, am i being unreasonable

For the record, it's aarrrgh. Note the two as, the three rs, and the single g and single h.

K thx bye. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

You and the romans.

*puts on classics hat* neither did the greeks/romans. they painted it bright colours like red/green/yellow.

op it sounds cheeky but it depends on the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

TBH OP I think you're overreacting. If I ask anyone over to mine, I make sure I have a few munchies on hand, just to be a good host and all that shite. That said, most of my guests bring something over with them.

Some people don't have clearly defined sense of boundaries but you sound like yours are a bit too defined. If you really liked him this wouldn't even be an issue so maybe you're just looking for reasons to give him the bullet?

I did hate the 'fix you' comment though!

edit: just read the rest of the thread. He is a tool. Don't open your home up to a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Do ye have any bishcuits or cheese on this thread? The shtomach is shtuck to my backbone!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

OP:

The guy is an idiot, because he made you feel uncomfortable in his own home.

However, notwithstanding the fact that your date was a dead loss, it's not unreasonable in my book for someone to go looking for food in someone's house. In fact, I rarely produce a bottle of wine to share with a friend without a plate of cheese, crackers, pickles and quince jelly, but that's because I am (and I hate the term) a "foody".

I don't think "God, I'm starving, have you got any food?" is unreasonable, but that may well be because nobody sits in my home in a state of hunger - or even of peckishness, because food is usually thrust upon them. I raid the fridge at my cousin's, because she's always fed at mine. Though in fairness, when I say "raid" I'm after a piece of cheese, a slice of bread and the spread, and I'd hardly make off with one of tonight's T-bones and a head of lettuce.

So yes, yer man was a moron. I can't say I'd be offended by finding someone in my larder though - far worse if I discovered them elbows-deep in my knicker drawer.

Advertisement