Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to buy a Nehalem

Options
  • 17-08-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

It's supposed to be out in a couple of months isn't it, who's going to be buying, I'd guess it'll cost an arm and a leg initially, any guesses on what a new board, ddr3 and a nehalem will set you back ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MooseJam wrote: »
    It's supposed to be out in a couple of months isn't it, who's going to be buying, I'd guess it'll cost an arm and a leg initially, any guesses on what a new board, ddr3 and a nehalem will set you back ?

After 10 years with AMD I'm by now fairly swayed towards getting one of these. To get full use of all three memory channels you need three DDR3 DIMM's which only ups the price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Not going to get one of the first ones. Prob would wait half a year when price comes down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Think I'll hold tough with my spec below until Larrabee comes out and see what all the fuss is about.
    TBH I don't think I'm going to improve much over below plus I've ordered 4gb of 1066mhz Corsair dominator and my 4870x2 2GB is on the way from dabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Ya the software industry has to catch up to current gen Quadcores before bothering with Nehalem...sure it will be fast but the software industry and chip sales are always miles behind the latest and greatest from Intel, AMD, etc. Hell Intel's own figures show how few 45nm Quads are actually in peoples homes and software houses can't risk alienating the vast majority:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8870&Itemid=35

So that's why I'll be building a dual-booted DAW/Gaming rig next month around a Q9650 or Q9550, 4Gig RAM and a P45 mobo. If it was just gaming I'd get a E8600 but my music production is a higher priority so Quad all the way:)

I'll see how things have changed at the end of summer '09.

Regards.

Advertisement