Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify these cartridges!

Options
  • 17-08-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

I was rummaging around in my desk the other day and found a small bag of various spent cartridges.

I remember finding a huge pile of them about eight or so years ago in a Coillte forest down in Wicklow. There wasnt anything around that showed signs of having been shot to bits, just cartridges all over the place.

Anyway, I collected a couple of them out of curiosity and quickly forgot about them.

Most of them are small nickel case rimfire .22's with a big "C" headstamp and the rest are a larger caliber brass with L13A2 RG 97 on the headstamp.

Any wild guesses at what was going on in the woods and the kind of gear being used?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Any chance of a few pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Sure, Ill have a go.

I don't have any pic's from the day though, just the cartridges.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

TomCo wrote: »
    and the rest are a larger caliber brass with L13A2 RG 97 on the headstamp.

A quick Google says that those are British-made 7.62 blanks.

Jonty wrote: »
    Any chance of a few pics?

untitled-1.jpg
    cakes.jpg

Edit:
    IRLConor wrote: »
    A quick Google says that those are British-made 7.62 blanks.

Interesting, seems a bit odd to go into the woods and shoot off a couple of boxes of blanks for a laugh. I wouldnt imagine it being cheap.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Interesting, seems a bit odd to go into the woods and shoot off a couple of boxes of blanks for a laugh. I wouldnt imagine it being cheap.

Perhaps the Army were out near there on exercises?

As for the .22, isn't that the CCI headstamp? Or am I mixing it up?

• Advertisement

Thats a CCI allright

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

IrlConor is correct, the larger / longer cases are British made 7.62 blank ammo, probably from the old Defence Forces FN rifle or GPMG.

In the old days we, or should I say the Defence Forces, used to hold exercises / manoeuvres in the woods through out many parts of Ireland. My unit was very active in the south Dublin / north Wicklow areas.

Many a time I remember civies walking right past me without even knowing that I and probably a whole platoon were near by.!!!!!

V Bull wrote: »
    IrlConor is correct, the larger / longer cases are British made 7.62 blank ammo, probably from the old Defence Forces FN rifle or GPMG.

In the old days we, or should I say the Defence Forces, used to hold exercises / manoeuvres in the woods through out many parts of Ireland. My unit was very active in the south Dublin / north Wicklow areas.

Many a time I remember civies walking right past me without even knowing that I and probably a whole platoon were near by.!!!!!

Mystery solved so!

Oh, just one more thing - did you not know how to clean up after yourselves? :D

Mystery solved so!

Oh, just one more thing - did you not know how to clean up after yourselves? :D

Not seeing and failing to pick up a hand full of cases, “eight or so” , your quote, out of possibly thousands is not bad in my book. I would not consider eight cases to be “a huge amount”, your quote…………

The DF have always made every effort / attempt to clean as they go. Have you any comments to make about the users of the spent .22 cases that you found or are you just anti military or anti shooting ??

V Bull wrote: »
    Not seeing and failing to pick up a hand full of cases, “eight or so” , your quote, out of possibly thousands is not bad in my book. I would not consider eight cases to be “a huge amount”, your quote…………

The DF have always made every effort / attempt to clean as they go. Have you any comments to make about the users of the spent .22 cases that you found or are you just anti military or anti shooting ??

First off, I was joking.
    Have you ever watched Columbo? I don't think you copped the reference.

Second, you took the quote TOTALLY out of context - "about eight or so years ago". There were many, many cases about the place. I just took a few out of interest, Im not in the business of hauling scrap.

Lastly, I have the greatest respect for our Defences Forces and I couldn't care less if they had left a metric-****-ton of brass in the woods. Its not exactly an environmental hazard.

Apologies if you misconstrued my post, hopefully this clears it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

The CCI stinger is the only .22 round i know in nickel
    22-stinger.jpg

Sorry TomCo, but I obviously took you up wrong and misunderstood your post

V Bull wrote:
    Sorry TomCo, but I obviously took you up wrong and misunderstood your post

Not a problem, no harm no foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

untitled-1.jpg
    cakes.jpg

Edit:

It would be dirt cheap. Military ammo only costs a fraction of civvy stuff for the simple reason that governments tend to buy the stuff in batches of millions and quite often buy straight from the manufacturer or from an international distributor.

A decent .223 hunting round could cost let's say about 80 cent and upwards. It's military cousin 5.56 NATO Ball bought in bulk by Willy O' Dea would be a fraction of that. Willy buys the stuff per container load, we buy it per box of 20 rounds and that's where the main difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just for general info.A 40ft container load of 5.56 NATO or a mix of various milspec calibres[7.62 NATO,9mm,7.62 X39,5.56 NATO,45ACP,50BMG.] Will run you 4.5 Million USD in CASH please with 50% up front and 50% on dropping off at the docks in Haifa Isreal.This is all USMILSPEC ammo as well.Current prices as of March 08.Dont ask where this info came from.:DBut my handling fee for a consingement is8% of the value.:D:D:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Can you arrange shipping from Haifa to Kildare for two containers??

There's a lot of shooting in a 40ft container :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Just for general info.A 40ft container load of 5.56 NATO or a mix of various milspec calibres[7.62 NATO,9mm,7.62 X39,5.56 NATO,45ACP,50BMG.] Will run you 4.5 Million USD in CASH please with 50% up front and 50% on dropping off at the docks in Haifa Isreal.This is all USMILSPEC ammo as well.Current prices as of March 08.Dont ask where this info came from.:DBut my handling fee for a consingement is8% of the value.:D:D:D:D
    Again, just for general information (:rolleyes:), how many rounds of 5.56 would be in that container for your 4.5 Million USD?
    At approximately EU€0.50 (USD$0.75)/round, that sort of money would buy around 6,000,000 rounds of Remington UMC FMJ in 20 round boxes in your local friendly gun dealer's shop.
    I'd be hoping for a bit of 'bulk' buying discount, and you'd have pop into the local Garda station counter to get the ammunition allowance amended on the old licence. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Garda: "What limit would you like, Sir?"
    Rovi: "6 million should cover it."
    Garda: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

230 per steel ammo box of 7.62 NATO.Est stacked10 X10 cans to a pallet.How many pallets in a40ft container?Oh ! do the maths yerselves...:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    230 per steel ammo box of 7.62 NATO.Est stacked10 X10 cans to a pallet.How many pallets in a40ft container?Oh ! do the maths yerselves...:D

A 40' should take 24 std or 36 Euro pallets.
    Don't think it will come down to how many pallets you can fit. I would think you will hit the 20ton weight limit well before the container is full.

I suppose that 7.62 is link, mixed tracer, ball and piercing ? Short little burts, let's say 2 orange streaks leaving the barrel, with a MAG ( GPMG in Hiberno-English ) and bambi is dead, gutted and roasted :p

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

MAG's not an English term, -Mitrailleuse d'Appui General – “general purpose machine gun” :P
    Nice piece of useless info!!

Correct, that typical gun was designed and is currently still manufactured in Liege. Hence the acronym in French.

Advertisement