Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Norway vs Ireland.

• 17-08-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Right so we are pretty close to Éire's last match before the serious business begins. The time between now and the match vs Colombia has flown by.

I don't know what to think of this game. Ireland thrashed Denmark last season but that was halfway through the groups and Norway failed to qualify as well, and have the same standard of player as us, so surely this match means something to them.
    I wonder have they a new manager.

Anyway I was reading in the Times that Trap will drop doyle and play 4-5-1, with A.Reid playing off Keane. I want to know what you think of this cause a good few people including myself wanted him playing as Defensive midfielder. The times though made a good point though, against Germany when Reid was playing deep he had nobody to pass to.

Who will partner Steven Reid I wonder.

I hope the match is a tough game, and hopefully O'Shea and Dunne can work together. It appears Maccer is back to fitness, but wasn't called up to the squad.

My prediction is a 1-0 defeat but most likely it will be a draw

Actually here is a piece from the Tribune:

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/soccer/article/2008/aug/17/a-friendly-to-get-acquainted-with-formation/

Its so good that we now actually seem to have some organisation and a clear focus after all the crap about 4 year plans and the likes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm hopeful of a performance, I really am. I think I can even see it.
    I'd be very happy if Doyle was dropped, I just don't think he fits into a system which works for the other players and he isn't good enough to base the system around him.

I'd like to see Reid off Keane, Duff and McGeady on the wings, Reid in the middle with the scary partner of O'Shea. I absolutely hate seeing it for United, but he can do a job defensively, and let Reid be a box to box person. I just don't see anybody else performing a classic defensive midfield role for Ireland, Carsley just isn't up to it.

McShane and Dunne in central defence with O'Shea protecting would be decent enough, and with those front four we should be able to score against most teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Good call on O'Shea PHB. If Fergie trusts him for United then its good enough for us in that position.

Didn't O'Shea play in midfield with Kilbane in Paris that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Trapp has it right, i'm pretty convinced of that. but i have absolutely no faith in our players. hence I'm not expecting much from the forthcoming campaign. although, given our history we'll no doubt put in a sterling performance against the Norwegians; just to falsely raise people's hopes, like.

ah more optimism needed leninbenjamin.

Apparently Joey O'Brien played well for Bolton yesterday in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Actually here is a piece from the Tribune:

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/soccer/article/2008/aug/17/a-friendly-to-get-acquainted-with-formation/

Its so good that we now actually seem to have some organisation and a clear focus after all the crap about 4 year plans and the likes.
    I'm not sure that I completely agree with how he wants Ireland to line out. But fair fucks to the man, he's thought about our strengths and weaknesses and has an organised plan on how we should be playing.

Compare that to Staunton :eek:

Guessing we're going to line something up like this.

Given
    Finnan-Dunne-O'Shea-Delaney
    McGeady-S Reid-O'Brien-Duff
    A Reid
    Keane

I think that's a fairly quality team, despite what the naysayers on this forum would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

My prediction is a 1-0 defeat but most likely it will be a draw.
    Why so pessimistic? Other than Riise, Carew and Pedersen, the rest of the Norwegian team only plays in the domestic league. Not to mention, Norway have been pretty poor in recent years. I think we should aim to win this one.

Me too, ok obviously we don't have a host of top quality players but that team that you named is comprised mostly of epl players, then one plays for an ambitous qpr team and the other won spl player and young player of the season.

Its a good enough team to have a chance at qualifying especially looking at scotland and NI, and in the euros turkey.

actually good point about result, I was thinking of norway like from98' world cup, we have much better playes then them, but I will remain cautious.

We are playing an away friendly. That in itself is an achievement!

I'm happy to see he at least understands how to play away from home, his goal is a 1-0 win and thats what it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Is the game on T.V cant seem to find it on SS or the Irish channels..

setanta 1...for some reason they show england on setanta ireand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Listening to Trap the only question is who'll partner S.Reid in central midfield from O'Brien/Whelan/Miller.

Miller didn't even make the bench for Sunderland on Saturday and isn't good enough.

O'Brien and Whelan formed Sheffield Wednesday's central midfield a couple of seasons ago when O'Brien was on loan there and they both played against each other on Saturday. O'Brien had a really good game apparently along with his central midfield partner Muamba and the 2 strikers. I think he's much more suited to the vacant role in the Ireland team than Whelan. He has loads of energy and won't give the opposition any piece. He was excellent against Sporting Lisbon last season in a defensive midfield role. I actually think now O'Brien might be the reason Carsley didn't get a call up.

Given
    Finnan --- Dunne --- O'Shea --- Kilbane
    S.Reid --- O'Brien
    -- Duff
    A.Reid
    McGeady -
    Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have serious reservations about O'Shea in any position bar FullBack, just feel he lacks presence for such a big man, doesn't seem committed whenever I see him. Something I find hard to phathom for a footballer.

I feel that Andy Reid will not score enough goals in the preferred formation of the thread (say in the same way Gerrard did last season in Liverpool's version). For that reason I would like to see a 4-4-2 with Doyle included and Reid playing centrally. Doyle's workrate and ability in the air is vital if we are playing two wingers IMO.

It would, no doubt, leave us a little short at the back. S.Reid would arguably be wasted in a mere defensive only role but I just think we need A.Reid's range of passing deeper down the pitch.

I feel Carsley should be in the squad at the very least, a fit S.Reid should have the legs on him, but if anything happens to any midfielder he would be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

hope keane can get a goal and get his confidence up for liverpool.

Question what would u rather your club win the champions league or ireland win the world cup or euros

Ireland. Already seen Liverpool win the CL.

I doubt many English fans would agree.

noodler wrote: »
    I feel that Andy Reid will not score enough goals in the preferred formation of the thread (say in the same way Gerrard did last season in Liverpool's version). For that reason I would like to see a 4-4-2 with Doyle included and Reid playing centrally. Doyle's workrate and ability in the air is vital if we are playing two wingers IMO.
    Not necessarily the preferred formation. It's what Trap said he's going to play away from home. He said the 2 Reid's will be strong enough alone in central midfield against the weaker teams at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

if we are to play 451 in the liverpool mold as suggested why not start Doyle in Keane's position and have Keane play his new Liverpool role i.e in the hole (gerrards from last year) ? then have the two reids in midfield and Duff & McGeady on the wings.

Given
    S.Reid --- A.Reid
    -- Duff
    Keane
    McGeady -
    Doyle

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Not necessarily the preferred formation. It's what Trap said he's going to play away from home. He said the 2 Reid's will be strong enough alone in central midfield against the weaker teams at home.

Indeed. My mistake. Would Keane be better ploughing a lone furrow up front in big games than Doyle though?
    if we are to play 451 in the liverpool mold as suggested why not start Doyle in Keane's position and have Keane play his new Liverpool role i.e in the hole (gerrards from last year) ? then have the two reids in midfield and Duff & McGeady on the wings.

Given
    S.Reid --- A.Reid
    -- Duff
    Keane
    McGeady -
    Doyle

Now that I like. Bar O'Shea as per usual. McShane's mistakes may appear more blatant but I feel O'Shea makes alot more by letting people ghost past him.

well thats just for this match, il Trap really likes McShane and i expect him to start most games when he is fit with maybe O'Shea at LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I think Trapp wants to play 5 genuine midfielders in an oldschool 4-5-1 (think US '94 with Sheridan / Townsend / Keane) rather than the 4-2-3-1 you see the big clubs playing these days.

Id still prefer Kilbane at Left back to O'Shea, he tackles and is decent in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I reckon we should stick with Delaney at LB. He was impressive against Colombia I thought and is playing regularly there for QPR.

Again, mainly to do with the article in the OP.

It's important because on Tuesday, the Italian gave a firm indication Ireland at home and Ireland away are likely to be two different animals. When discussing the inclusion of the Reids, Andy and Steven, Trapattoni suggested the pair could only play together in central midfield at home against weak opposition. Away, the 69-year-old indicated he would deploy an extra midfielder at the expense of a second striker.

McShane is rubbish imo :D

Again, mainly to do with the article in the OP.

It's important because on Tuesday, the Italian gave a firm indication Ireland at home and Ireland away are likely to be two different animals. When discussing the inclusion of the Reids, Andy and Steven, Trapattoni suggested the pair could only play together in central midfield at home against weak opposition. Away, the 69-year-old indicated he would deploy an extra midfielder at the expense of a second striker.

hopefully that is only against the better teams away i.e italy & Bulgaria for starters

Now that I like. Bar O'Shea as per usual. McShane's mistakes may appear more blatant but I feel O'Shea makes alot more by letting people ghost past him.
    O'Brien and O'Shea were destroyed against Holland. 2 goals from passes straight through the defence. No one Irish player could be singled out for being at fault for the goal.

McShane in Cardiff. McShane, O'Shea and Kilbane are in line just before the half way line. Wales hoof a ball over the top into the right back position. McShane anticipates it well and is first onto it but he's up against Cotterill who has "blistering pace" according to his profile on the Wigan website. McShane is obviously not the fastest but he didn't let Cotterill by him. He tried to take him down because he doesn't have the pace to beat him one on one. Cotterill tries his best to make it to the box before going down but McShane got him down outside the box and he still won the peno. It would and should have been a good professional foul. :)

Anyway, my point is that McShane finishes that match as the guy at fault even though he did a lot more to try and stop the goal then O'Shea and O'Brien in similar circumstances against Holland.

The step out against Serbia was just trying to be too clever. He thought he was the last man back and if he stepped out would leave the striker offside. He didn't realise Delaney was on the same line as him. That's a mistake he'll make once in his career. At least it shows he's actually making decisions for himself because centre halves can get away with just following their partners instructions.

I remember McShane and J.O'Brien were tipped to start together against Cyprus when Dunne was suspended. McShane made a joke when asked about it by saying something like "as long as I'm doing the talking I don't mind". Maybe he does have to realise that he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does about the game and he should just follow Dunne's instructions when they're playing together. He is a very good reader of the game for his age but any centre half of his experience has tons to learn.

Mistakes or no mistakes, his defensive record with Ireland is pretty good considering Dunne missed half the games and Stan was the manager for most. Plus, Trap saw every minute of every game McShane has played for Ireland. He rates him highly even though he is error prone atm because he knows that can be sorted out.

Given
    S.Reid --- A.Reid
    -- Duff
    Keane
    McGeady -
    Doyle

That system just won't work imo. Doyle is not a good enough target man. Keane is not a good enough withdrawn striker. Reid and Reid in the middle is a bit dodge.

Personally I think it won't be a 4-2-3-1 ala United, it'll be a flat 4-4-1-1.

Steven Reid picked up an injury in training...:(

Just let the man stay fit....PLEASE.

I sort of wish Andy O'Brien came back. I follow eirebhoy's views on McShane but I would just feel more assured with Dunne and O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The step out against Serbia was just trying to be too clever. He thought he was the last man back and if he stepped out would leave the striker offside. He didn't realise Delaney was on the same line as him. That's a mistake he'll make once in his career. At least it shows he's actually making decisions for himself because centre halves can get away with just following their partners instructions.

More like that's a mistake he should have last made as a schoolboy. Every defender knows to look across the line before they step and 'not realising' as a professional defender doesn't cut it. If McShane is still making simple errors like that at his age then there's no hope for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Given
    S.Reid --- A.Reid
    -- Duff
    Keane
    McGeady -
    Doyle
    I agree with that team although Kilbane left back worries me slightly.

I dont think Keane can play the lone striker role as he wanders around too much looking to get involved leaving us with no one up front to get hold of the ball. I much prefer to see him play off either Doyle or Murphy.

• Advertisement

Steven Reid picked up an injury in training...:(

For **** sake! We're never gona have a good central midfield partnership. If only Gibson was better :( We desperately need a top class midfielder, its a joke.

PHB wrote: »
    For **** sake! We're never gona have a good central midfield partnership. If only Gibson was better :( We desperately need a top class midfielder, its a joke.

Again, FFS can he stay fit for 2 minute :rolleyes:

PHB wrote: »

Glad you're not the manager. Wouldn't really inspire confidence.
    I think Stephen Reid has to play when fit. He is pretty box to box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Glad you're not the manager. Wouldn't really inspire confidence.
    I think Stephen Reid has to play when fit. He is pretty box to box.
    And when is that?

He's worse than Darren Anderton.

Arguably the only box to box MF we have and I mean "when fit" just like I said.

Trap said yest he expects him to make the Norway game.

Steven Reid is a very good player but not near top class. He could have pushed it though if he didn't have injury problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Stephen Reid, the glass man. Hope he's fit to play.

McShane's nearly a lost cause at this stage.

Steven Reid is a very good player but not near top class. He could have pushed it though if he didn't have injury problems.

Did someone say he was?

Stephen Reid, the glass man. Hope he's fit to play.

McShane's nearly a lost cause at this stage.

McShane Who :confused:

:D

Does anybody think a win would be a good indication of where we're going?

I'm thinking now with the Georgia game moved it gives us a big chance, cause that could be a 'banana skin' as they say for italy and bulgaria. I was fearing that game really but hopefully its made a bit easier at a neutral venue.

It would be class if we can go on another insane loseless streak like under McCarthy, at one time we went like 16 games without officially being beaten.

also something i thought was amazing, from 2001 to 2006 we only lost something like 5 or 6 games competively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

also something i thought was amazing, from 2001 to 2006 we only lost something like 5 or 6 games competively.

Yeah but we drew an absolute sh/tload of them too.

• Advertisement

ye like in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

What time is the coverage starting tomorrow?it must be early if kick-off is at 6...i read in the Star today that Michael Robinson is going to be an analyst...i remember seeing him with Liverpool in his day...supposedy is a highly rated pundit in Spain

5.30 analysists...hopefully dolan is doing it...fat fool.

6 KO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mousey007

I presume he probably is along with Robinson...he knows his stuff in fairness.I think Setanta have some of the World Cup qualifying as well??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

For some strange reason I seem to automatically assume the all games featuring our national side will be live an the national broadcaster, or at the VERY worst, there will be delayed highlights.

According to my TV guide neither situation is happening.

I saw an ad for Setanta a while back and it said they were showing the away qualifiers, which will "not be shown anywhere else".

I kind of uncomfortably laughed it off at first, but could it possibly be that Setanta have secured exclusive rights to Irelands away qualifiers?

I kind of uncomfortably laughed it off at first, but could it possibly be that Setanta have secured exclusive rights to Irelands away qualifiers?
    Yep.

Aertel say Miller starts instead of A.Reid in a 4-4-2. :confused::confused::confused:

Given
    -- Duff -- S.Reid --- Miller -- McGeady -
    Keane --- Doyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Yep.

Well that's just fantastic, whatever happened to the promise from the government that all Irish internationals would be broadcast free to air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well that's just fantastic, whatever happened to the promise from the government that all Irish internationals would be broadcast free to air?

There was no such promise.

It is all Home Competetive Internationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Hrmmmm.

Miller didn't make the bench against Liverpool iirc.

I thought the manager said it would be 4-5-1?

Is Keane playing midfield?

yeah thats what most thought, apparently Trap made this apparent last week.

However now they say Doyle will partner Keane up front.

• Advertisement
Advertisement