Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Norway vs Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

When is this match on?

Edit...read the bleedin thread Des.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

For some strange reason I seem to automatically assume the all games featuring our national side will be live an the national broadcaster, or at the VERY worst, there will be delayed highlights.

According to my TV guide neither situation is happening.

I saw an ad for Setanta a while back and it said they were showing the away qualifiers, which will "not be shown anywhere else".

I kind of uncomfortably laughed it off at first, but could it possibly be that Setanta have secured exclusive rights to Irelands away qualifiers?

That's a disgrace. I'd say a very small percentage of the population subscribe to setanta, unless it's Setanta Ireland which wouldn't be as bad. Plus their coverage is second rate. It's like when TV3 showed the internationals, but you have to pay extra:eek:

I'd say the pubs are loving it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Aertel say Miller starts instead of A.Reid in a 4-4-2. :confused::confused::confused:

Given
    Finnan --- Dunne --- O'Shea --- Kilbane
    -- Duff -- S.Reid --- Miller -- McGeady -
    Keane --- Doyle
    Just had a look at Aertel myself. Centre of midfield will be Whelan and S. Reid or Miller - no place for Andy Reid :confused:. Why the hell is Miller even in the squad?

One can only assume that Trapattoni knows what he's doing; I sure as hell don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Fat bastard....

is he injured or what?

please tell me trap hasn't just left him on the bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A.Reid - Sunderland's best player and now captain.
    Miller - can't even make the Sunderland bench.

There's no way Trap is not playing Reid for football reasons. Maybe Keane asked for him not to start?

At least the Whelan-S.Reid partnership makes more sense than the one Aertel had up earlier.

Reid is captain of Sunderland........That is good.

That is a bad decision by Trapattoni on the face of it if A.Reid is fit.

Maby he sees something in Miller that he feels only he can add to the team but I doubt that, I really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

I remember there was a website before which had information on what football was being shown on "foreign" satellites.

If a Norwegian channel is showing it, and that channel is being broadcast free to air on satellite, and that satellite has a strong footprint on Ireland, and if I have line of sight of said satellite, I might just re-align my dish for the laugh.

EDIT:
    http://liveonsat.com

It's on in a few places, not free to air though.

Oh damn:

http://im.rediff.com/sports/2004/may/31euro2.htm

"From a tactical point of view it will be tough for Trapattoni to field Pirlo without upsetting the balance of his side. He adds creativity to the midfield but sacrificing Perrotta or Zanetti might leave the defence short of cover."

Maybe Trap just won't sacrifice his system for any player. :(

I'm crossing my fingers that Reid picked up a knock or something.

Knives out for the manager already?

Fickle, fickle.

It's only a friendly.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Knives out for the manager already?

Fickle, fickle.
    I think you're exaggerating a bit there.
    It's only a friendly.
    It's not only a friendly though. It's the build up for the big stuff. He said the team he picks against Norway will be 90% the team that plays in the first competitive. It doesn't look like Reid is injured. History has shown that he wouldn't change his system fit in Pirlo which makes me think it'll be the same with Reid because they're similar players.

I was delighted to get Trap. I didn't mind that he has a repututation for playing boring football because for once we'd be playing intelligent football. I'd much rather it contained one of the best passers of a ball we've ever had though. Even if it meant sacrificing one of the strikers.

Trap last week:
    "Andy has a lot of class and vision. He sees the game and certain opportunities and he can deliver. The continental influence is there; he's a good passer but I want him to be strong."

Strong in what way? I think Reid could be as good defensively as either Whelan or Miller.

I think you're exaggerating a bit there..
    I don't.

Here's why.
    I was delighted to get Trap.
    It was an absolutely wonderful coup for the National Team to get a manager like him. A wonderful appointment. I reckon he's better than Capello even.

I agree with the following.
    I didn't mind that he has a repututation for playing boring football because for once we'd be playing intelligent football.
    Yeah, with one of the best football brains on the planet at the helm. He knows what he's doing.

But then you say this.
    I'd much rather it contained one of the best passers of a ball we've ever had though. Even if it meant sacrificing one of the strikers.
    Questioning his picks already? Picks for a friendly match?

It's insane.

How about you give it a few games, competetive games at that, until you start questioning his tatics and team selections.

It's not only a friendly though.
    Yes. Yes it is. We all know how players of today approach these friendly games. They mean nothing to them, absolutely nothing.
    It's the build up for the big stuff. He said the team he picks against Norway will be 90% the team that plays in the first competitive.
    So, what you are saying is that he might be trying out one or two different things in midfield, and that 10% could be Andy Reid?
    It doesn't look like Reid is injured. History has shown that he wouldn't change his system fit in Pirlo which makes me think it'll be the same with Reid because they're similar players.
    History has also shown that he has had more success with his teams than failures.

Look, just trust the man and his judgements.

Des wrote:
    Questioning his picks already? Picks for a friendly match?
    How is that questioning his picks?

Forget Trapattoni is our manager for a minute.

If there's more chance of us being successful without Reid in the team then I'm all for it.
    I would rather we had that success with Reid in the team though.

I'm not questioning Trapattoni. I'm saying I hope Andy Reid is part of Trapattoni's team.

To put it another way. You've been told if you drink 3 pints of a certain healthy drink it'll cure a hangover instantly. Either way you'll drink it but it's a no brainer that you'd rather that drink had a nice taste rather than a rotton taste.

I'll be disappointed if Reid doesn't make Trap's team. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Never mind the midfield, having O'Shea at centre half and Kilbane at fullback is frightening. Is there not some decent Irish lads in the Eircom League or the Conference that could do a better job that them two:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Maybe he's going to play Keane in a withdrawn role.

S.Reid --- Miller

McGeady
    Keane
    Duff--

Doyle

I think in that system, Reid is the obvious choice to play in the position Keane is in. I think that between Doyle and Keane it is not so obvious for the lone striker role (over Keane).

I would think that Trapattoni is going to see if Keane can play that role and if Doyle is suited to the lone striker role. I would imagine that at some stage he will withdraw Doyle, push Keane forward and put Andy Reid in the creative role.

Going on my EPL viewing alone, I'd put select Hunt before McGeady and O'Brien before Miller for the actual qualifying game.

I also enjoy how eirebhoy selected McGeady on the left wing over Duff :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

GuanYin wrote: »

S.Reid --- Miller

McGeady
    Keane
    Duff--

Doyle

thats almost exactley what I would expect to see too if as said A.Reid wont partner his namesake in midfield although id like to see Delaney at LB ...Kilbane is a Donkey

wonder if O'shea would be played LB, CM (Millers position above) or continue in CB when McShane is fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

How the hell does Liam Miller even make it as a professional footballer? The last few times I've seen him for club and country hes been completey bollocks (apart from that wonder goal he scored against us, flukey git!).

Would a midfield of --A.Reid--McGeady--S.Reid--Duff-- suit us? Or would that leave us a bit open and exposed?

(taken me nearly a year for 100 posts. Faoi dheireadh!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

glenjamin wrote: »
    How the hell does Liam Miller even make it as a professional footballer? The last few times I've seen him for club and country hes been completey bollocks (apart from that wonder goal he scored against us, flukey git!).

Would a midfield of --A.Reid--McGeady--S.Reid--Duff-- suit us? Or would that leave us a bit open and exposed?

(taken me nearly a year for 100 posts. Faoi dheireadh!!!)

How did Zinadine Kilbane ever make it as a footballer:eek:, the scout must have had some hang over that day :D

Swap andy reid into the middle for mcGeady and it would have more balance imo :)

GuanYin wrote: »
    I also enjoy how eirebhoy selected McGeady on the left wing over Duff :)
    That's the way I think Trap will line up. McGeady on the left, Duff on the right. So they can drift inside constantly and join the play.

Trap on why Reid isn't playing:
    “At the moment I have to try to put out a strong team and it’s not easy to suddenly change five or six players. I’m looking for a team with character, with the right mentality and with good organisation on the pitch. We have enough offensive players like Robbie, Doyle, Duff and McGeady. The strong teams in the world, their midfield players are very, very strong. They can work, they can play, they can support the strikers, and we need those kinds of players in midfield. This is why I also think about Steven Reid.”

There's that word strong again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Against decent opposition you cannot play Andy Reid as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 formation. Andy Reid is a talented footballer, but he cannot perform all the duties of a central midfielder - especially when the two wingers are as light as Duff and McGeady. We'd just be over-run.

Andy summed it up himself perfectly (even if he was joking) when asked about a potential midfield partnership with Steven Reid "he can do the running, and I'll play the football". You cannot get away with only one midfielder who will track back and tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I hate Setanta so much. We have to put up with Pat Dolan talking sh!te?? At least when Dunphy and the lads talk sh!te, it's hilarious

• Advertisement

Absolutely huge decision, and I disagree completely.

Although at least we have a manager who will make the tough decisions, in my opinion the qualification hinges on Given, Dunne, S.Reid and McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

monkey9 wrote: »
    I hate Setanta so much. We have to put up with Pat Dolan talking sh!te?? At least when Dunphy and the lads talk sh!te, it's hilarious

Yeah agree there. He's such a feckin tosser its unreal. Trying to bring realism to celetanta, he's just annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

My Two cent:

1. Don't rate Delaney at all. Would rather see Kilbane there (who I'm not a huge fan of btw) or O'Shea.

2. We have a frail defence. McShane is not reliable enough, even Dunne can be a little sleepy at times. Finnan is not playing regular 1st team football. O'Shea/Kilbane/Delaney, all have negatives. Jury still out on Stephen Kelly IMO. So Trap needs to reinforce it from the midfield. This means creativity suffers. This may have a bad knock on effect, namely...

3. .....Keane needs players to play around him who are quick and technically good. Fast one-two's etc. He suffers if the team is set up too deep. Doyle is not good enough for this type of play IMO. Though if Duff and McGeady are set up attack minded, to cut inside etc, it may work. One thing that was glaringly obvious from the last game to me was that we needed an A.Reid in the centre of midfield though.

4. Whelan and Miller are distinctly average. Actually Whelan has been awful IMO. I'm not sure Millers strengths are enough to warrant the omission of A.Reid. I'm not even sure if he is a defensive midfielder. I've seen him 'get stuck in', but in doing so giving away of alot of silly free kicks. I wonder if telling S.Reid to sit tight would be enough cover for the defence. Its all well and good having 2 bullies in CM, but if they can't use the ball well, its pretty useless tbh, as even with reinforcement, I see this team leaking goals.

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing how it works. Trap is an experienced coach, so we can only put our faith in him, and hope he still has it. This armchair supporter though, thinks omitting A.Reid for Miller is the selection which will be under the most scrutiny.

Agree with prvious Poster about key players. Given, Dunne, S.Reid, McGeady. Though I would add getting the best out of Keane, and also utilising A.Reid's talents are also key.

C'Mon Ireland!

Good post, but I disagree so much about Kelly. He was amazing last season and deserves a move to a top 10 side in the EPL.

Interview with Trap by Karl Spain.

http://home.eircom.net/javascript/Ewishes/sep/internationals.jsp

Good post, but I disagree so much about Kelly. He was amazing last season and deserves a move to a top 10 side in the EPL.

I agree that he was gr8 last season. Not sure about the step up to international football though. Finnan aside, he's certainly the best we've got RB wise, and I'd be hopeful of his potential. As I said though, I need to see more of him in the green to make the call. If Finnan still has it, I'd select him. If not, I'd defo give Kelly the chance and hope that he performs at an international standard.

Can't access the link from work. Will check it out later.

I was sort of dissapointed(in ways) by Finnan's return. Part of me wanted to see Kelly as first choice but then again if he wasn't up to it we would have been very short(contrast that to when we had the best rb in the epl stephen carr fighting it out with finnan and gary kelly)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

Joey O'brien?

JimiTime and Estie, could one of you change your avatar, it looks like one of you is constantly answering his own posts.

Thanks.

Yeah forgot about that, he's definetly an option but I would hope he can develop in the centre of midfield.

I was reading on foot.ie that stephen hunt has played left back for reading and has played well in the two games...as I said he would be a good option against weak teams at left back cause' his crossing is good.

LOL des, change my transformer thing...eh no.

Trap is the man, has to be better the Stan anyway, i'd don't really care about the result tonight once we play well, but tbh i think we'll beat Norway away they are no great shakes, not that we are either but i think we are better.

• Advertisement

jimmyboy wrote: »
    Joey O'brien?

Completely forgot about him! A regular for Bolton too. Dang you jimmyboy, compliacting things!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

if u open a betfair account, dont think u have to lodge any money, you can watch ireland v norway game online....

corban wrote: »
    if u open a betfair account, dont think u have to lodge any money, you can watch ireland v norway game online....

why not just watch it on tv??

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

if you dont have setanta sports 1 maybe?

i do so :p, only joking, come on over mine jimmy :D.

Its a expensive son of a ****.

JimiTime and Estie, could one of you change your avatar, it looks like one of you is constantly answering his own posts.

Thanks.
    There u go. Just for you.

pesireland wrote: »
    i do so :p, only joking, come on over mine jimmy :D.

Its a expensive son of a ****.

Dodgybox ftw.
    JimiTime wrote: »
    There u go. Just for you.

:eek:

:D

Dodgybox ftw.

whats a dodgybox ?? :confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Dodgybox ftw.

Seconded :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Your oponent Montenegro is playing against Hungary at the moment

62' Hungary 2 - 2 Montenegro

29' [1 - 0] T. Priskin

45' [1 - 1] Jovetic (pen.)

52' [1 - 2] Vukcevic

56' [2 - 2] T. Hajnal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

pesireland wrote: »
    whats a dodgybox ?? :confused::D

It is a one way ticket to hell.

I don't know what we are playing against, but Steven Reid is the best midfielder I have ever seen.

Better than some of the over hyped **** mentioned by people on sites like this.
    If Barry is worth 16 million, Reid is worth 50 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ever? Thats neat!...

Hope to see the passion tonight. Last one before the big games start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Duff and Keane, like old times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ireland are sh!t, Robbie Keane is sh!t, blah blah blah!

Get in!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well done Robbie

Ireland have looked good so far... rain is pouring down now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

They have been passing the ball very well. Great goal. McGeady is well over-rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Reid has been top notch so far.

The only negative is that O'Shea does not look solid at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

O'Shea never does. Ever, no matter who we are playing.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

What channel is it on lads?

• Advertisement
Advertisement