Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Norway vs Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Was that intentional :eek:

Richard Dunne Man of the Match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

draw not bad imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well im only going to judge this game on the first half when the conditions were not Sh*te and on that basis ive been very happy with how this game has gone and how Ireland look pre-qualifiers when hopefully A.Reid will be playing and O'Shea will be LB not CB.

1-1 here at the Water Cube. . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

at least we actually held out until the end to get a result for once, although it was a bit panic-stations for a while there. scrappy goal to give away and its something that needs to be looked at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Obviously I hope we can get winning, rather than drawing, away from home. I think we are being gifted a great chance to get 3 points with the Georgian game being in a neutral venue.

Hopefully, we will be better for the game in Montenagro after a game under the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I think you can count on a draw in Montenegro

We really have to start this campaign well. I think we have to go for 6 points (obviously).
    I don't know who is left over in Montenagro after the split from Serbia tho? Its been well publicised they are a hell of alot better than their seeding sugests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There is good organisation at least. I would still be very concerned about the defence. But a huge improvement on everything we have seen since Kerr got the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

This Robinson guy is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I think you can count on a draw in Montenegro
    Even if Montenegro are strong, all the other teams will have to play them as well.

thats the first even remotely funny thing I've ever heard fat Pat say.
    "If we can get someone to invade Italy now we might have a chance of a result against them" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Even if Montenegro are strong, all the other teams will have to play them as well.

I think i already gave a comment in other thread about WC qualifiacation about Montenegro,i can copy/paste it here if you want

Paul Robinson said 'Ireland are good with the ball, not so good without it''

Very true...we have smart players.

PAT DOLAN YOU ****ING WANKER.

[edit] -estebanned - 1 month - GY

oops...... fat pat just went down in my books again.

"Trapaphoney"..........oh dear.......

BAROSSSSS :D 1-0 Cech Rep liverpool strikers past and present scoring tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Is there any highlights of the match later? Dont have setanta and dont have broadband....??

joe123 wrote: »
    Is there any highlights of the match later? Dont have setanta and dont have broadband....??

10:30 on Setanta Ireland

10:30 on Setanta Ireland

Do you not need to have a sub to setanta to get that??

• Advertisement

Nah. You get that on basic ntl.

Anyone got a link to the Irish goal by any chance?

did england lose i know they were 2-1 down

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

2-2 late joe cole scrambled goal

2-2 late joe cole scrambled goal

:mad: Damn you joe cole

noodler wrote: »
    Nah. You get that on basic ntl.

not on sky though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

That first half was very encouraging. Some of the passages of play were superb.

Steven Reid was class. I've been raving about him since he came back from injury. He looks to have everything a central midfielder needs. His positioning when the team have the ball is superb. He didn't seem entirely confined to the role Trap gave him and he got forward a bit. Even when Norway had the ball at one point he tracked a central midfielder almost to the Norway box. When Miller and Whelan played together they seemed afraid to upset the formation and certainly wouldn't be running towards the Norway box when Norway had the ball (or even when Ireland had the ball).

I don't know where Reid has got this confidence because I didn't think he had it 2 or 3 years ago but he demands the ball off teammates now. He encourages them by clapping their efforts and does his share of talking. His passing was excellent. Quick decision making and ball to feet. He linked the whole team together pretty much and brought so much of what we were lacking against Colombia.

Keane and Duff were excellent too I thought. Keane's touch was superb. Duff kept possession really well and was tracking back in last minute injury time. Good pass for Keane's goal and Keane's run was excellent.

Whelan did his job really well. Norway had most of the ball in the 2nd half and Whelan was winning a load of tackles. That's definitely the best I've seen him in defensive capacity.

Dunne was just what you expect from him really. Superb player. Nice block to stop a certain goal in the first half and Givens save before that was also excellent.

O'Shea is just an average centre half. A safer option than McShane because you know what you're going to get but McShane's a lot more likely to dominate an opponent. I definitely favour the McShane-Dunne partnership after tonight. Maybe I'm just been paranoid towards a player I desperately want to succeed but if it was that ginger guy with the dodgy run struggling with the balls over the top tonight I think he'd be getting plenty of stick.

Anyway, we played like a really good football team in the first half tonight. I think I'll go with Robbie Keane and write off the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does anyone think that Doyle has much to offer the current Ireland team? For me, I just can't see how he fits into the system we play at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Certainly some postives from tonights game, however I only saw the highlights.

Steven Reid would be a great player for Ireland, but you just can't rely on the guy to stay fit which is such a shame. If he remained fit it would be a no-brainer to start him in the centre.

While I am always uneasy about O'Shea, I think himself and Dunne are our best partnership at centre half.

I'd hope to see Andy Reid back for the qualifiers, it will be important to have that extra bit of creativity on the pitch to create chances.

Just heard that Georgia beat Wales tonight in Wales. We certainly haven't got this sewn up yet even on a neutral venue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

PHB wrote: »
    Does anyone think that Doyle has much to offer the current Ireland team? For me, I just can't see how he fits into the system we play at all.

Agree. Can't see him fit in at all.

Even taking into account his out-of-formness, he's just of no use up there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

First half was great but tbh im worried that the wet weather in the second half was a convienient excuse. The Norwegians certainly were not as put off as Ireland.

At the end of the day Ireland failed to beat Norway - nothing good about that.

kraggy wrote: »
    Even taking into account his out-of-formness, he's just of no use up there.
    He was ok tonight. He played very well against Colombia though. Keane was too good tonight to go risking him up front on his own in 2 weeks. They've formed a decent understanding and will do well together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I saw some of this.

I think Doyle should be dropped and Keane pushed forward with Andy Reid coming in.

McGeady continues to be the most over-rated non-english player I've heard of :)

Oh, and your defence sucks.

****s sake setanta sports annoy me. Its a disgrace when ya cant see your own country play football.

Who said setanta sports would be good competition for sky? More like get more money of the poor sap who pays for them.

****s sake setanta sports annoy me. Its a disgrace when ya cant see your own country play football.

Who said setanta sports would be good competition for sky? More like get more money of the poor sap who pays for them.
    It could be worse. We could be Scotland. Their home games are on Sky and away games on Setanta. As far as I'm aware our away games have been on pay channel (Sky) for the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,711 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sure didn't they sell the home match rights aswell until Bertie stepped in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Positive performance. S.Reid was immense! i was delighted watching him. O'Shea showing why people are reluctant to see him at CB. Keane looked sharp. Doyle is not up to it, though I'm not sure who'd replace him. All in all, i was happy with performance. Feeling alot more confident, mainly due to S.Reid. Pleassse stay fit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

GuanYin wrote: »
    I saw some of this.

I think Doyle should be dropped and Keane pushed forward with Andy Reid coming in.

McGeady continues to be the most over-rated non-english player I've heard of :)

Oh, and your defence sucks.

Yea but the problem with Keane moving further forward is that he doesn't perform as well. We need a striker better suited to playing up front alone. I know technically Keane is up there as well, but he is there to link Midfield with lone striker.
    I don't know if Daryl Murphy is worth a shot up there. I doubt it tbh. He did play that particular role for Sunderland aganist Liverpool. He seems more mobile but less clinical than Doyle. (And i don't rate Doyle as being all that clinical himself!!)

Lads lets face it Ireland Have a Very Average Squad imo, to make the world cup would be a massive acheivement for Trappa.

We have very average players, playing at poor Premier League clubs and Championship Players and some are not even regulars at their clubs, Gone are the good days when we had a few from Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Villa, Chelsea Etc.

I think the Forgen players in the Premiership has hit the Irish international team just as hard as Englands tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Very happy with the first half performance, cant really judge on the second half due to the conditions.
    Stephen Reid was fantastic, really enjoyed his performance, fizzed some beautiful passes in to Keane.

Doyle was abit dissapointing, I think he is abit short of confidence and a goal would do him the world of good. I would not be in favour of dropping him to push Keane further forward as I believe Keane is at his most effective when he is playing off a front man. And I dont think it would be in our best interests to play our best forward player in a postion where he is not as effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Doyle isn't just lacking in confident, he's just not a target man, he doesn't have it in him.

I think Murphy with Keane playing off him would be the best, at least Murphy can play as a target man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Doyle isn't just lacking in confident, he's just not a target man, he doesn't have it in him.

I think Murphy with Keane playing off him would be the best, at least Murphy can play as a target man.

Can he really though?? I haven't seen enough of him to say for sure. The best game i saw him play was last year when Keane played a 4-2-3-1 of 4-3-3 if you like, and he and Stokes were the wide men with Jones up top.
    He has a bit of pace a decent shot, doesn't score that many though... Also maybe a little bit lightweight to do the lone forward job.
    People like Drogba and even Kenwayne Jones have the strength and spped to play that role. Torres has electric pace although not as strong so he can play that role. I just don't think we have any striker capable of doing it.

Hope i'm wrong though. Wonder will Murphy get his game with Cisse arriving at S'land now?

Tbh haven't seen enough about Murphy to make a fair judgement of his skills, so i'll bite my tongue for the moment on this one.:)

Maybe some sunderireland fans can shed some light on murphys pros/cons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

GuanYin wrote: »
    I saw some of this.
    Spot on. Robbie's the most natural finisher we have and by setting him out as an out an out striker it will stop him doing that annoying thing he does of wandering around the middle of the park like a headless chicken. It would also accomodate Reid whilst allowing Traps to pack his midfield with "strong" players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dave Mooney has made the Magic Flight, maybe he should get a chance, he's obviously good enough now that he's gone to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

pesireland wrote: »

I think the Forgen players in the Premiership has hit the Irish international team just as hard as Englands tbh.

That comment, posted without a hint of irony, sums up why the Ole-Ole brigade deserve nothing but contempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Who knocked the ball back across our box for their equaliser? Brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

That comment, posted without a hint of irony, sums up why the Ole-Ole brigade deserve nothing but contempt.

*pulls up seat for the uber fan fightoff!

Who knocked the ball back across our box for their equaliser? Brutal.

Kilbane. But to be fair Kiely (what is he doing near that squad by the way?) flapped at it and Kilbane was unsighted.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    *pulls up seat for the uber fan fightoff!

Its not, I'm just pointing out what a boneheaded post that was, and how regrettably its a common thought process amongst Irish sports consumers, aka the Olé-Olé barstool brigade.

• Advertisement
Advertisement