Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many can be carried

• 17-08-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

i dont know how many you can fail in other courses but mine says 1...would there be any chance in 2 been carried into next year because it seems silly to have to repeat a semester for only 2 subjects

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

It's one in my course too...

Or 55 credits to be exact. Less than 55 credits and it's a no go to next year. I had to repeat just the one, but i pity the people with 6/7+ to repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Eh what do you mean carried over ? also what do you mean by credits ? Im new to this college malarkey again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sarge wrote: »
    Eh what do you mean carried over ? also what do you mean by credits ? Im new to this college malarkey again :D

Your allowed to fail one subject but continue onto the next year in your course, you have to repeat the exam you failed at the end of year then along with the rest of your exams for that year.

you get 5 credits for each module you pass and you need to get 60 credits to pass the semester or 55 and carry one of your subjects

draffodx wrote: »
    Your allowed to fail one subject but continue onto the next year in your course, you have to repeat the exam you failed at the end of year then along with the rest of your exams for that year.

you get 5 credits for each module you pass and you need to get 60 credits to pass the semester or 55 and carry one of your subjects

Module = subject ? Then if thats the case i get it ! If not I'm lost again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Module = subject ? Then if thats the case i get it ! If not I'm lost again.

yeh each subject within a semester of a course is called a module

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    yeh each subject within a semester of a course is called a module

If for talks sake you fail two , do you repeat the two subjects or one ?
    Also is there not a way if you scored over the required pass rate on one subject you can transfer that to another ? Sorry asking a million questions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

If for talks sake you fail two , do you repeat the two subjects or one ?
    Also is there not a way if you scored over the required pass rate on one subject you can transfer that to another ? Sorry asking a million questions :D

Your have to repeat any subject you fail, no getting out of it.

You can 'pass by compensation' and what that means is that say you get 35% in a subject, but you've got 45% in another, you can subtract that 5% from your 45% subject and add it to your 35% subject to bump it up to a pass.

So yeah, technically you can fail a subject (get below 40 but above 35) and pass it if you have enough marks in others.

Get below 35% in any subject though and you have to repeat it - no way around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

You need to have an excess of double the marks of what you are missing to pass...

E.g u get 35% you will need 50% in another subject to bring the both of the to 40%...

10% becomes 5% this way.

Advertisement