Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

kowloon wrote: »
    Think I was chatting to one of your number today at salute, I was on my way out to the carpark with a Chassepot and a Martini :D.

Yes kowloon it was me and some of the lads from The Vintage Classic Rifle Association. We were helping the reenactment lads out on some of the stands. I'm the one with the jacket full of badges.

The Air Soft and Reenactment people put on great displays, an absolutely great show.

It was nice to get to speak to you, do you have any photos of the Chasspot that you could post here, it is a very interesting piece of classic rifle history.

If you would like to shoot Vintage Classic Rifle PM me and I will send you details.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland

Sizemore wrote: »
    128872.jpg

Sizemore seen some of de-activated M1 Garand at the Salute Show in Swords to Day.

Do you know that this rifle is used in the USA High powered rifle competitions. If your were to buy and license one of theses rifles you could use it for our vintage classic shoots and shoots in Mid-Lands.

One of the true Classic Rifles of WWII.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'll pop up some photos when I get a chance.
    Good to see some interest in the Chassepot, if it wasn't for the sheer length of the thing I doubt it would have left the rack all show :pac:.

Good to see some interest in the Chassepot, if it wasn't for the sheer length of the thing I doubt it would have left the rack all show :pac:.

Kowloon when you put the photos of the Chasspot up could you give some details of its history.

Seeing the Chasspot and some of the old deactivated classic pistols like the Webley .45 (the type
    used by Michael Collins) brought me back in time to my days in the Irish Antique Arms Society.

I was amazed at the interest from the very young to the very old and the discussion that classic firearms generate in relation to their history.

We got to talk to a couple who dived on the Aud, I see you mentioned it in the Lee Enfield Thread. We also got to speak to an Irish Gentleman who served as an officer in the British Army in Borneo.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

Seen you at the salute yesterday sikamick surrounded by defence force and reenactment personal are you recruiting the airsoft lads as well.

The WWII collection of weaponry was impressive even more was the
    conversations and knowledge people of all ages had about weapons from this period, scores of kids rattling off the name and type of the various firearms, they would put some of us to shame and should, makes you
    wonder why more effort is not put in to get people of all ages involved
    in active shooting. Great day.

• Advertisement

Red Renard wrote: »
    Seen you at the salute yesterday sikamick surrounded by defence force and reenactment personal are you recruiting the airsoft lads as well.

The WWII collection of weaponry was impressive even more was the
    conversations and knowledge people of all ages had about weapons from this period, scores of kids rattling off the name and type of the various firearms, they would put some of us to shame and should, makes you
    wonder why more effort is not put in to get people of all ages involved
    in active shooting. Great day.

Did you get to talk to me I would like to put a face to the name.

Re the Air Soft people, I took the opportunity to walk around and speak to every one that I could to promote The Vintage Classic Rifle Association.

One thing that I found in speaking to people at the show was there is a great interest in this and it is one area of the sport that could bring all the shooting sporting groups together and away from the politics.

Michael O'Connor

Some photos from the show and me looking the worst for wear from the night before, oh my aching head.

Note all firearms and Munitions on display are deactivated.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/58175/62374.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/58175/62375.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/58175/62376.jpg
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/58175/62376.jpg

Sikamick

Sikamick wrote: »

Mick & Joe at the weapons tent. Sikamick are you caught contemplating in this shot or concerned that the Lee Enfield is deactivated for sure.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Aaaagh the old 77 set, I remember them well, very seldom worked.

"Hello one this is Zero, message over.................(long pause)
    Hello one message over.......................(another long pause)
    Hello anyone message over........................." ;)

Red Renard wrote: »
    Mick & Joe at the weapons tent. Sikamick are you caught contemplating in this shot or concerned that the Lee Enfield is deactivated for sure.:D

I was deep in taught, but it was thinking about the history of these firearms and stories they could tell.:rolleyes:

Sikamick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddyenfield303

granson got this on the net

officially known as Fusil modèle 1866, was a bolt action military breechloading rifle, famous as the arm of the French forces in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 and 1871. It replaced the obsolete muzzle-loading Minié rifle. It was a great improvement on the military rifles previously in use and marked the real commencement of the epoch of bolt action, breech loading, military firearms generally. It was very easily converted to fire metallic cartridges in 1874 (Gras rifle), a step which would have been impossible to achieve with the Dreyse needle rifle. [2]

It was so called after its inventor, Antoine Alphonse Chassepot (1833—1905), who, from 1857 onwards, had constructed various experimental forms of breechloader, and the rifle became the French service weapon in 1866. In the following year it made its first appearance on the battlefield at Mentana on 3 November 1867, where it inflicted severe losses upon Giuseppe Garibaldi's troops. It was reported at the French Parliament that "Les Chassepots ont fait merveille!", or loosely translated : "The Chassepots have done exceedingly well !".
    In the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871) it proved greatly superior to the German Dreyse needle gun, outranging it by 2 to 1. Although it was a smaller caliber (11 mm vs. 15.4 for the Dreyse), the chassepot ammunition had more gunpowder and thus faster muzzle velocity (by 33% over the Dreyse), resulting in a flatter trajectory and a longer range which was 1200 yards (1100 m). The Chassepots were responsible for most of the The breech was closed by a bolt similar to those of more modern rifles to follow. Amongst the technical features of interest was the method of obturation of the bolt with a shielded rubber ring which was quite effective. It was similar in principle to the de Bange obturator for artillery. The Chassepot used a combustible paper cartridge holding an 11mm (.43 inch) round-headed cylindrical lead bullet. An inverted standard percussion cap was at the rear of the paper cartridge and hidden inside. It was fired by the Chassepot's needle (a sharply pointed firing pin) upon pressing the trigger. While the Chassepot's ballistic performance and firing rates were excellent for the time, burnt paper residues as well as black powder fouling did accumulate in the chamber and bolt mechanism after continuous firing. The older Dreyse needle gun and cartridge had been deliberately constructed in a way to minimize those problems but to the detriment of its ballistic properties.
    In order to correct this problem the Chassepot was replaced in 1874 by the Gras rifle which used a center fire drawn brass metallic cartridge . Otherwise, the Gras rifle was basically identical in outward appearance to the Chassepot rifle. Virtually all rifles of the older Chassepot model (Mle 1866) remaining in store were eventually converted to take the 11mm Gras metallic cartridge ammunition (fusil Modèle 1866/74).
    Prussian and other German casualties during the conflict.

I was amazed at the interest from the very young to the very old and the discussion that classic firearms generate in relation to their history.

We got to talk to a couple who dived on the Aud, I see you mentioned it in the Lee Enfield Thread.

My father was a salvage diver/photographer on the dives in 1976, he was talking to you at the show on Sunday.
    Below are 2 Mosin Nagant stocks from the wreck.
    audrifles1dx6.th.jpg

My father was a salvage diver/photographer on the dives in 1976, he was talking to you at the show on Sunday.
    Below are 2 Mosin Nagant stocks from the wreck.
    audrifles1dx6.th.jpg

Would it be possible for you to bring them to the competition on Saturday.

They would make an interesting conversation piece.

Michael O'Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sizemore

Michael O'Connor

will you have some vintage service rifles to look at?

Sizemore wrote: »
    will you have some vintage service rifles to look at?

_________________________________________________________________________________
    Yes PM me and I will send you the Details.

Michael O'Connor

Michael O'Connor

They're only stocks now, but if anyone from the club attending on Saturday is in North County Dublin or further North is passing by in a car with a generous boot I can certainly bring them along, otherwise I'll be travelling by motorcycle :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

They're only stocks now, but if anyone from the club attending on Saturday is in North County Dublin or further North is passing by in a car with a generous boot I can certainly bring them along, otherwise I'll be travelling by motorcycle :mad:.

I'm from Swords. PM me.

Sizemore seen some of de-activated M1 Garand at the Salute Show in Swords to Day.

Do you know that this rifle is used in the USA High powered rifle competitions. If your were to buy and license one of theses rifles you could use it for our vintage classic shoots and shoots in Mid-Lands.

One of the true Classic Rifles of WWII.

Michael O'Connor

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55685

Here is a link that has v good Garand forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

This is a bit of a curveball.But there is a few gunsmiths over in Germany now making/converting SEMI auto versions of various firearms of WW2 of both Axis/Allied sides.I have seen copies of semi auto,MP40s[schmeisser],Thompsons,MP44s,KG 43s,MG42,FG42s,Russian PPshs,various tripod mounted Mgs of Axis and Russian makes:eek:.As I said before they have been converted to SEMI only to very strict German standards[so strict that each model has to be approved by the BKA before it is allowed for sale].
    Soo I am just wondering would any of these be acceptable as well as vintage classification over here??Always fancied a K43 myself.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Are we running away with ourselves here? Will we ever get centrefire semi-autos licensed?

Are bolt actions the best we can hope for?

I'd love if some told me they already are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They already are dresden - see packas' exploits on an earlier thread, he's already gone through an SL8 and an AR-15 and is on something else now, can't remember what exactly.

Oberland Arms AR15.Hmm the AR in it's orginal configuration is becoming close to be avintage rifle as well.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    This is a bit of a curveball.But there is a few gunsmiths over in Germany now making/converting SEMI auto versions of various firearms of WW2 of both Axis/Allied sides.I have seen copies of semi auto,MP40s[schmeisser],Thompsons,MP44s,KG 43s,MG42,FG42s,Russian PPshs,various tripod mounted Mgs of Axis and Russian makes:eek:.As I said before they have been converted to SEMI only to very strict German standards[so strict that each model has to be approved by the BKA before it is allowed for sale].
    Soo I am just wondering would any of these be acceptable as well as vintage classification over here??Always fancied a K43 myself.:D

Note Grizzly 45, The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland is primarily for bolt action full bore service rifle and pistol.

The one thing we don't want to do is put a wrong image on The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland. I think one has to keep in mind Public perception also there is a huge difference between a deactivated Assault Rifle and a live firing version of same.

Just look back over a couple a weeks ago where some person reactivated deactivated auto firearms in the UK and what the results of that was.

The public view/perception of an old bolt action rifle and even the M1 Garand because of it shape and design, in my opinion would not have the same impact as one seeing someone holding an Assault Rifle.

One would hope that the feelings of a small few in what they would like to have does note spoil it for the greater many.

In saying that if the Garda give you a license for a live firing MP44 Assault Rifle in semi auto and it is in the criteria of age, so be it.

Michael O'Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

There is at least 1 M1 Garand and a 1903 Springfield on our fair Isle, licenced under very strict conditions(the Garand), so I cant give too many details, but I will be shooting it in the next while and I will take some photos and maybe some you tube footage. Cant wait (drools over keyboard)

dbar wrote: »
    There is at least 1 M1 Garand and a 1903 Springfield on our fair Isle, licenced under very strict conditions(the Garand), so I cant give too many details, but I will be shooting it in the next while and I will take some photos and maybe some you tube footage. Cant wait (drools over keyboard)

Don't rub it in you lucky b...ox, get it up asap.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 prodg

DTSC members and guests had an other great day on the Mid-Lands Rifle Range.

We got to shoot Lee Enfields MK4 .303, Swedish Mausers 6.5x55 and a rare Portuguese 1904 - 7.92 Mauser.

A special thanks to Johnpaul,Tony,Cris, Mary and Jim Griffin and all the Staff.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club
    and Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland.

I am really looking forward to the classic shoot this saturday. its been years since I have fired any of the classic rifles mentioned. And can imagine the turnout that dtsc will have going by the interest that has been generated since you first posted the founding of the vintage classic rifle association of ireland. so a big thumbs up and a very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 prodg

Note Grizzly 45, The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland is primarily for bolt action full bore service rifle and pistol.

The one thing we don't want to do is put a wrong image on The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland. I think one has to keep in mind Public perception also there is a huge difference between a deactivated Assault Rifle and a live firing version of same.

Just look back over a couple a weeks ago where some person reactivated deactivated auto firearms in the UK and what the results of that was.

The public view/perception of an old bolt action rifle and even the M1 Garand because of it shape and design, in my opinion would not have the same impact as one seeing someone holding an Assault Rifle.

One would hope that the feelings of a small few in what they would like to have does note spoil it for the greater many.

In saying that if the Garda give you a license for a live firing MP44 Assault Rifle in semi auto and it is in the criteria of age, so be it.

Michael O'Connor

I couldnt agree more. we need to keep the classic rifle association to bolt action only for the time being and dont want unnecessary attention drawn down.

quote=Sikamick;57143311]___________________________________________________________________

Ok fair enough.. Hence the reason I was asking.

Well, considering that they were film prop firearms that had been converted to fire real ammo for criminal useage.I dont quite see the connection between that and asking wether certain types of now vintage firearms are considerd acceptable for this category????:confused:

First off;being a bit pendantic here.We DO NOT have access to "Assault Rifles " here in Ireland or within the EU[with a few notable execptions].Assault rifles have SELECT FIRE capabilitiy.[IE safe,semi ,full auto.]
    What we might have access to here are semi auto "assault" rifle lookalikes.Or Semi rifles with military chacteristics and/or features .It is pretty important that this kind of defination is made as lumping everything in our and the general publics perception as "assault rifles",is vital to prevent misunderstanding and confusion further down the line.
    The Garand being a case in point.It is a semi auto BATTLE RIFLE [never had or was designed for FA,and fires a full power cartridge,not an intermidate powerd cartridge].
    But anyway,so the K43 or swede Lungmann are OK then,as they while being semis have none of the sheeple scaring things,like pistol grips,big mags etcand look from the laymans POV much the same as a Garand.

Thats the reason I asked.So as to know exactly what folks would and would not like to see at any future events.Nothing to do with spoiling it for anyone else,etc.As there are now many old semis becoming vintage,soas not to upset the total "purists"

That would be nice and chance a fine thing,or the bank account would allow. :)

There "reactivated" deacts, how much was newly manufactured?
    Even older specification deacs in the UK are butchered.

• Advertisement

Going OT here Kowloon.;) But from what I saw of the latest batch of reworked blankfiring Macs.It was the barrel,breech,bolt assembly,mag and barrel retaining system.Thing I have noticed about all these react deact stuff.It is the simpler designs that are most common.EG Sten,Stirling,Macs,or the infamous Russian Marakov blank firer pistol converted to live fire.There have been AKs as well,but not as common.

Advertisement