Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Off topic, true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Did anyone see the blankfire garands at SALUT? The lads from the 101st from Cork were shooting them in 30-06 blank:D

there was also a blankfire MP40!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 prodg

chem wrote: »
    Did anyone see the blankfire garands at SALUT? The lads from the 101st from Cork were shooting them in 30-06 blank:D

there was also a blankfire MP40!

yes chem i agree, the lads did the enactments very well and the weapons looked the part. and to see young kids dressed up in the uniforms just shows the interest they have in the history of the time.

Aren't most of the blank guns in fact plugfires?
    There is some controversy in the UK , I believe, over blankfires venting forward like a regular firearm versus those that vent up.
    Anyone know anymore about it?

Just back from a great day out at the range in Brittas. Thanks a mill for the day mick;) Im still smiling:D

You all made me feel very welcome and relaxed. Feel ive made some new friends and looking forward to getting started into the vintage club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland held it first competition today at the Dublin Target Sports Club Range.

We would like to say a special thanks to Dublin Target Sports Club for hosting this event and for sponsoring the medals and food.

A special thanks to Jim Griffin of the Tackle Shop, Rahan, Tullamore for sponsoring the prizes also to Johnpaul Craven, Tony Sanders, Noel Kelly from the NRAI/MNSCI and the Range Officers from the DTSC for their help in running the event.

Thanks to Kowloon for displaying his Rifles - Chesspot and Martini Henry, they raised great interest and discussion.

Clubs Attending: Hill Top - LRPC - NRAI - MNSCI - BRC - DTSC.

Vintage Classic Rifle Competition Results.

First place Gold : Eamon Dunne - DTSC

Joint Second Silver : Alan Kelly - Hill Top / Paul Smith - MNSCI

Third Place Bronze : Ivor Clegg - MNSCI

More to come, photos on the way, photographer in the dark room.

Michael O'Connor

Secretary to The Vintage Classic Rifle Association or Ireland.

Had a great day; thanks for the friendly welcome, the shooting and the grub!
    Not sure which application to annoy the sup with next :D.

Cheers Lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

kowloon wrote: »
    Had a great day; thanks for the friendly welcome, the shooting and the grub!
    Not sure which application to annoy the sup with next :D.

Cheers Lads!

Next up is the Midlands on the 27th for the classic shoot where you might get to see a vintage garand if someone can be persuaded . Well done all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 PMS

I agree 100%, an absolutely fantastic day, even the weather cleared up just as we were about to shoot. It’s almost 30 years since I last shot at that location believe it or not, a great day, great company and great food, thanks a mill to all, too many to mention.

Here are a couple of photos showing the quality and grouping of the shooters.

The Range - Copy.JPG

021.JPG

Shooters on the line - Copy.JPG

T S patching target - Copy.JPG

My first five plus sighter.JPG

• Advertisement

Sikamick wrote: »

The African big game bullet board has .303 military ball included from what
    I can see. Elephant have been shot and downed by the 303 it can be done if the shot is exactly placed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddyenfield303

bell used a 303 to kill elephants

bell used a 303 to kill elephants

In Bell's day, elephant still roamed open grass lands in huge numbers unafraid of distant hunters. Bell portered with him a collapsible elevated shooting stand high enough so that he could see over the tall elephant grass, he could take carefully aimed shots from far enough away not to spook the herd,
    somewhat like the old buffalo hunters did in N America.

He was probably one of the finest rifle shots that ever lived.
    With an intimate knowledge of elephant’s anatomy that enabled him to hit the brain from whatever angle he shot.

Those conditions are not found now!! Elephant are much cautious and have taken to thick cover. The ones left are generally of a larger type than the plains elephant he hunted then.

It is on record that, quite literally, lots of intrepid (Stupid) hunters have been killed by elephant, while trying to emulate Bell's feats. And it still happens on an almost annual basis.

The 7mm, 303 British, 30-06...even the 375 H&H Magnum are NOT gun enough to go into bush after elephant, rhino, hippo or Cape Buffalo. Too many men have been killed trying to prove otherwise!

Some Professional Hunters and Game Control Officers feel that the .577 Nitro Express is barely adequate for today's conditions.

Sikamick

thats true - great hunter great rifle lee enfield

Vintage rifle shooting events are popular around the world. It was about time an association was formed like the VCRAI in Ireland. Do you have a
    website.

http://lera.org.uk/news.php

http://www.ontariorifleassociation.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Website is in the pipeline!!! Just need to dig up some intersting content. :D

If you have an interest in shooting Lee Enfield - Swedish Mauser and the likes, The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland Membership forms are now available, just PM me your e-mail address and I will forward it on.

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland

• Advertisement

who do i send the form to

PM me and I will give you the details of where you can send the application form to.

Sikamick

A piece of History

itsminemv6.jpg

Sikamick

If you have an interest in classic rifle shooting Lee Enfield - Swedish Mauser Bolt Action Rifle, here your chance to do it.

Classic Rifle Shoot 27th Mid-Lands Range Tullamore, Offally. Be there early.

Sikamick

I will be there, I am still trying to get an authentic looking uniform and am really looking forward to a great day out.

Feck it! am gona miss this one! big 30 today and have afew beers to down with the family and friends. Dont fancey driving tomorrow;) Unless I can talk the girlfriend into driving me down, with the bed on the toe bar:D Or can you change it to a night shoot:confused: might be up around 6 tomorrow evening:p

Joking aside. Any idea what rifles/pistols will be there tomorrow Mick? Just so I can sicken myself more knowing what ive missed :(

Lee Enfields and Swedish Mausers as far as I know.

Sikamick

A very special thanks to Aidan Murphy and Martin McCann, Johnpaul Craven, Jim and Mary Griffin for running the classic Rifle shoot. The shooting was great fun, the food and the weather excellent.

This is a yearly event run by the people mentioned above and was what instilled the idea of setting up a Vintage Classic Rifle Association. This is an area of the shooting sports that didn't have much recognition or support in the past apart from that given to it by the Mid-Lands Rifle club.

A special thanks to the people that went to the trouble of dressing up, we had Mother Reilly, GI joe, a German Officer and a lot more, thanks again.

There will be eleven Competitions held a year, five in the Mid-Lands and six in DTSC. This is a great way for people to get into full bore target shooting and it is not expensive.

If you are interested PM me.

Photos to follow.

Michael O'Connor. aka Sikamick
    Secretary to The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland.

I was there yesterday and an an absolutly fanastic time. just seeing the amount of shooting going on with the people who attended and everyone all mixing and enjoying the day has to say a lot for the interest that has been generated in the sport and I for one am looking forward to getting my .303 and participating in further shoots and the midlands is a credit to all the people who are involved in the running of it and their hospitality was very much appreciated and the barbacue was excellent so I would also like to say thank you to john paul and jim griffin and their team of people who set up and organised yesterday. Thank you very much lads and roll on the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Cheers for a great day out yesterday lads. :D

Even managed to make a pretty decent show of myself on the scoreboards.

• Advertisement

Photos: More to come

Classic Rifle Shoot Mid-Lands

whorobbedmycameleditedgp3.th.jpg

Sikamick

Advertisement