Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Where are the frontmen?

• 17-08-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Are there any classic rock frontmen left today? When you look at muppets like Chris Martin being hailed as a great it really makes me think how theres such a lack at the moment.

Where are the Axl Roses, Mick Jaggers and Freddie Mercury's of our generation?

The only person I really like is Scott Weiland but hes to much of a junkie to sing coherently half the time anymore and musically is past his peak.

Any opinions? Who are your top frontmen of now? Is the classic frontman dead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Justin Hawkins is good imo, though everyone would disagree probably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Corey Taylor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tony Kakko :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

matt bellamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

matt bellamy

Matt Bellamy is awesome no doubt about that but I'm thinking frontmen in the classic rock n' roll sense of it, Bellamy wouldnt really come into that catagory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

matt bellamy

I was thinking that alright, but as the next poster said, that was the next thought. Yeah, Scott or Justin were the only two really I could think of in the classic rock n' roll fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Alexi Laiho great presence and great guitarist cant think of many leader signers who also do lead solos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

The only person I really like is Scott Weiland but hes to much of a junkie to sing coherently half the time anymore and musically is past his peak.

Any opinions? Who are your top frontmen of now? Is the classic frontman dead?

He's been off heroin for years ffs! I don't understand why people still go on about that...
    Did you see him at the Ambassador with VR this year? No way is he past his peak...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I am not a fan but I would have thought Richard Ashcroft would fit the bill of a classic frontman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Matt Bellamy is awesome no doubt about that but I'm thinking frontmen in the classic rock n' roll sense of it, Bellamy wouldnt really come into that catagory

Ah ok.

Pelle Almqvist from the Hives fits the bill pretty well I think...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

In the past rock was supposed to be over the top and very audacious, and so the frontmen adopted their image, style and demeanour to reflect this. Nowadays rock is more subdued and calmer, and their frontmen reflect this accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Ah ok.

Pelle Almqvist from the Hives fits the bill pretty well I think...

Howlin' Pelle is good alright, so is Justin but has he not retired from music? I remember at the last Darkness gig he showed us all his newfound gut - it was not pretty!

Going to see Queen + Paul Rodgers in Oct x2 - I think he would fit the bill, although there are few if any youngers performers who do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Depends on how you look at your frontmen.

The singer with Oliver Dawson Saxon literally blew all 4 gigs away with his power and energy up front.

Dan McCafferty of Nazareth has a muted presence which belies his years, and Steve Harris, depsite not being the actual frontman of Maiden certainly tears up the stage with his machinegun bass runs up and down the rig.

Though I dislike his music you have to consider Robbie 'Pork Pie' Williams as an excellent showman.

Other than that you really really want to go and look at the genre of music you listen to. Indie and other such ****e rarely produces a performer the likes of Jagger or Mercury - they hail from glam/rock, and Axl is from Metal.

Check out Wired Desire (playing Dublin on the 30th) and Crowning Glory (rumoured to be here on tour in September). You'll see some ****ing great frontmen right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Glassheart wrote: »
    He's been off heroin for years ffs! I don't understand why people still go on about that...
    Did you see him at the Ambassador with VR this year? No way is he past his peak...

I wouldnt believe that for a second, hes absolutely still on something. And yeah I saw them he was pretty good but seen a good few clips of the STP tour and hes pretty bad. Plus Libertad sucked and he gets a lot of the blame for that...his new solo album will be interesting though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Are there any classic rock frontmen left today? When you look at muppets like Chris Martin being hailed as a great it really makes me think how theres such a lack at the moment.

Where are the Axl Roses, Mick Jaggers and Freddie Mercury's of our generation?

Probably a case of rose tinted glasses, you're talking about these legendary Rock icons, and that kind of iconic status takes time to get. I'm sure people were looking at Axl Rose back in the day and thinking to themselves "Hmm, where's the great frontmen like Robert Plant and Bonn Scott?"

There's plenty of great frontmen out there today, no doubt about it, but they haven't exactly been noticed by the public conscious in the same way that the legends you're speaking of have, and that takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

I wouldnt believe that for a second, hes absolutely still on something. And yeah I saw them he was pretty good but seen a good few clips of the STP tour and hes pretty bad. Plus Libertad sucked and he gets a lot of the blame for that...his new solo album will be interesting though

He's been drinking a bit more than he should but that's about it.
    Some of those STP shows have also been great btw...

It's Guns n Roses fans who 'blame' him for VR stuff.I thought his contributions were the best thing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It definitely depends on the style of music. Straight off the top of my head I reckon Phil Anselmo, Rob Flynn and Corey Taylor are excellent frontmen but your question was phrased awkwardly:
    Are there any classic rock frontmen left today?
    I would have thought that Classic Rock by definition isn't going to contain "current" bands like The Verve, Muse, Velvet Revolver or Stone Temple Pilots but rather bands like Aerosmith, The Who or The Eagles. Depending on your age you could classify it as "music your parents listened to when they were in college" :).

Advertisement