Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash - Other driver not taking responsibility

Options
  • 17-08-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

A bloke crashed into my wife today, he won't accept responsibility but the Gardai said it quite clearly was his fault. We have his insurance details. Can anyone tell how do the Insurance company decide who's fault an accident is?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You contact their insurance company telling them your story. Advise if you have any supporting witnesses / photos. Contact your own insurance company with the same. Let them deal with it between them then. People always deny responsibility, your insurance docs tell you to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Insurance company may also contact the Garda who attended the scene and ask for his/her opinion on the cause of the crash.

tbh your wife's claim is looking good. just make sure your insurance company does everything to avoid having to pay out so your wife's premium doesn't increase. they probably will anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your insurance company advise you not to admit liability at the scene of an accident even if it obviously your fault. The reason for this that when suffering from shock after an accident no matter how small, you may say something including admitting fault where fault is not so clear cut.

Make sure you get the Garda's name and contact details along with any other witnesses. Also inform you insurance company first thing tomorrow morning just incase the other party is has a different account of events after having a night to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

thanks lads, we will be on to AXA tomorrow morning. The Gardai said to contact them if he refuses to pay for the damage. I arrived at the scene just after it happened. Amazing that an someone could crash into the side of a car with a woman and her mother and not ask them if they are ok. It happened on the fly over (M1) approaching the airport.

I'd say he is looking at some bill, two doors will need to be replaced and there is damage under the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hope your wife and her mum are both ok and not too shook up. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,442 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Some sound advice up there. One thing I'd check is if the both parties have the same insurer. Be wary if they do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ats

was that around PM last night? think i drove under the bridge as the Gardai where attending the scene,. not that that's any help to you of curse. like the others said. have the wife inform her insurance co, and include the contact details of the Gardai at the scene, the Garda should have a report done up at some point and he can pass that on. had it happen to me before, the lad rear ended me (careful now ;)) and at the scene admitted liability but then came back to me with a quote of 500 to get my car fixed without anyone even looking at it. so he took back his admission of liability saying it was my fault even though he was on record with the cops fior having saying it was his fault. silly little twat was driving mammys car on a provisional license. so i just let the insurance company handle it.

boomerang wrote: »
    Hope your wife and her mum are both ok and not too shook up. :o

thanks boomerang, they are both fine now.
    unkel wrote: »
    Some sound advice up there. One thing I'd check is if the both parties have the same insurer. Be wary if they do!

Why? We're both with AXA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

dubmick wrote: »
    Why? We're both with AXA
    Because AXA will have to pay out regardless of who is at fault. Their only way to minimise their loss is to say that the accident is 50/50 so both parties lose their no claims bonus and pay more to them over the next few years.

Cynical? Me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Hagar wrote: »
    Because AXA will have to pay out regardless of who is at fault. Their only way to minimise their loss is to say that the accident is 50/50 so both parties lose their no claims bonus and pay more to them over the next few years.

Cynical? Me?

Wouldn't be worried bout this comment OP, by the sounds of your description the third party will be footing the claim.

• Advertisement

Good news lads Axa have confirmed that the other drivers insurance will be taking care of this. He still said he wasn't in the wrong! Idiot

Total damage was €2,600. Axa have said that the won't pay out depreciation costs as the car is eight years old. I think they should pay something. Do the insurance companies pay out anything for inconvenience? I didn't take a car rental from them as I used one of my parent's car.

Advertisement