Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn Rovers FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours thread

• 17-08-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭

We've had huge happenings this summer with the loss of Mark Hughes who was brilliant as Blackburn Manager and good luck to him in his new job. I don't understand him moving for this job, I always imagined he would go to one of the bigger clubs in time.
    Our new Manager Paul Ince came to us after guiding MK Dons to promotion in his first season in charge.

Current Squad

1. Paul Robinson (Goalkeeper)
    2. Andre Ooijer (Defender)
    3. Stephen Warnock (Defender)
    4. Christopher Samba (Defender)
    5. Tugay Kerimoglu (Midfielder)
    6. Ryan Nelsen (Defender)
    7. Brett Emerton (Midfielder/Defender)
    8. David Dunn (Midfielder)
    9. Roque Santa Cruz (Striker)
    10. Benedict McCarthy (Striker)
    12. Morten Gamst Pederson (Midfielder)
    13. Zurab Khizanishvili (Defender)
    14. Johann Vogel (Midfielder)
    15. Aaron Mokoena (Defender/Midfielder)
    16. Steven Reid (Midfielder)
    17. Maceo Rigters (Striker) on loan to Barnsley
    18. Paul Gallagher (Striker)
    19. Carlos Villanueva (Midfielder) on loan from Adaux Italiano
    21. Sergio Peter (Midfielder)
    22. Danny Simpson (Defender) on loan from Manchester United
    24. Keith Treacy (Midfielder)
    25. Alan Judge (Midfielder)
    26. Julio Santa Cruz (Striker)
    27. Matt Derbyshire (Striker)
    28. Tony Kane (Defender)
    29. Martin Olsson (Defender)
    30. Jason Roberts (Striker)
    32. Jason Brown (Goalkeeper)
    33. Frank Fielding (Goalkeeper)
    34. Gunnar Nielsen (Goalkeeper) on loan to Motherwell
    35. Eddie Nolan (Defender)
    38. Jamie Clarke (Striker) on loan to Accrington Stanley

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't understand him moving for this job, I always imagined he would go to one of the bigger clubs in time.

He took blackburn as far as he could. Man City have a brighter future than blackburn.
    Hughes was promised a war chest to strengthen city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Now that I have that up, we got off to a great start to the season with a 3-2 away win against Everton.

David Dunn scored a cracker. Roque Santa Cruz also got on the scoresheet and Andre Ooijer scored the winner. Ince said afterwards that he nobody is leaving the club. I hope thats true.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Man City have a brighter future than blackburn.
    Hughes was promised a war chest to strengthen city.
    He might have been promised but Man City go through this every couple of years only for them to fall apart for some reason or another. It was a bad move imo. Man City will never be a top team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread just inspired me to look for Lemlin.

I'll be keeping an eye on Ewood more than usual this season cos of "the guvnor" as an ex Pool and Wolves player I have a strange soft spot for him (I can ignore his time at a certain previous club ;) ).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

didn't see much of the game yesterday but was surprised by the result. I had expected Ince to struggle early on, like Roy last year, as he learns his trade at the top level. and having said that, despite the performance yesterday, that's how i expect the season to pan out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ince was a disgrace at Liverpool Mike :(

and I'm not sure if he'll cut it as a manager in the PL either tbh, time will tell i suppose.

If he keeps his best remaining players they'll survive (okay that might be a bit of an if).

Plus a bit of this attitude might help

0,,10420~3335078,00.jpg

:D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Samba, Reid, Gamst and Santa Cruz are imperative to them. If Steven Reid had good levels of fitness, I think he would have followed Hughes to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I think Warnock will have a good season this year, he looked impressive against Everton and gave a great ball to Cruz. Nelsen was offside for the 3rd but its good to start on a win

What about Robbie Fowler signing on a free? It looks like happening - could be a play for pay deal I suspect.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Why hasn't Ritgers featured more? He barely laced his boots last season off the back of an excellent U-21 tournament. He's been sent on loan to the Championship this season I think.

Why hasn't Ritgers featured more? He barely laced his boots last season off the back of an excellent U-21 tournament. He's been sent on loan to the Championship this season I think.
    The problem for Rigters is that we have an abundance of very decent strikers. First of all theres Roque Santa Cruz, then Benni McCarthy after that you have Matt Derbyshire and Jason Roberts. He is behind all of them so its hard for him to get a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ince was a disgrace at Liverpool Mike :(
    Jeez Louise, that's pure bull. Although you probably had that opinion before he started playing for Liverpool, as we won nothing during his brief stint, that confirmed it in your mind - without any regard to his actual performances.

Ince was always one of our better players during his stint - he was just in a mediocre team. If only the team around him had shown half the energy and drive he did....

As for Blackburn, I did not like the look of Paul Robinson:
    - badly exposed at his near post for the first goal
    - dunno what he was doing for the 2nd goal, it was a powerful hearder alright, but it was straight at him, he managed to duck well under it
    - made an appalling mistake at 2-2, totally misjudged a cross that left the Everton youngster with an empty net to head into, luckily for Blackburn he missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah Mr. Alan - seriously like? Did you not watch the games he played for us?

Agree with Mike too - I have always admired Ince and I would like to see him succeed in this job. If I was a Blackburn fan I would be keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that Santa Cruz stays.

As for Blackburn, I did not like the look of Paul Robinson:
    - badly exposed at his near post for the first goal
    - dunno what he was doing for the 2nd goal, it was a powerful hearder alright, but it was straight at him, he managed to duck well under it
    - made an appalling mistake at 2-2, totally misjudged a cross that left the Everton youngster with an empty net to head into, luckily for Blackburn he missed.
    Yeah have to agree with this, but we sorted out Friedel so we'll sort him out as well.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah Mr. Alan - seriously like? Did you not watch the games he played for us?

Agree with Mike too - I have always admired Ince and I would like to see him succeed in this job. If I was a Blackburn fan I would be keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that Santa Cruz stays.
    Agreed. I think the purchase of his younger brother might have been done to keep him happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Rovers fan here!

at the start of this season i was tottaly disillusioned wit the sale of bentley and friedal but that seems to be it at the mo!
    We still have the rest of the squad that have done so well for us fr da last few years and people seem to forget that..
    Bentley was unbelievable for us but he had to go if he wanted to....hes the kinda player who would leave u down if his hearts not in it..

and after the embarrisin Fowler transfer were starting to get linked with quality players again!

Joaquin would be fantastic i think!!

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_4007576,00.html

things are lookin up...especially with a nice win over evertons youth team on saturday!:pac::D

Welcome Happydayz. I would love to see that happen but I won't hold my breadth. I think we have good man for that position in Brett Emerton.

It seems we are going to sign Keith Andrews from MK Dons. Don't know anything about him but Ince obviously does.
    Ince also said that he intends to make two more signings before the transfer window closes. I've read some rumours but nothing that seems likely.

Just seen Paul Ince on sky sports news. He is making it clear nobody is for sale unless theres 20 million offered for somebody and as he says, thats not going to happen.

Blackburn boss Paul Ince says he is focusing on adding to his squad rather than contemplating losing players. "No players are for sale," Ince told Sky Sports News. "I want to keep all my best players and that is what I intend to do, but at the same token I am looking to bring in another two or three players if possible.
    "I am telling you, no one is for sale, unless somebody offers me £20million for a player, which is not going to happen, then no one is for sale.
    "But I don't want to keep talking about people coming in, people going out we have had a good week, we have had a good result so let's talk about the good things, the positive things at Blackburn rather than people picking up phones and trying to unsettle my players."

And just as soon as I posted above, the very latest from Ewood Park. Roque Santa Cruz has just signed a new four year deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That's a good endorsement for Ince.

I'm very impressed to see him sign a new deal, I do think that his brothers arrival definitely helped matters but Ince deserves the credit for making it happen. His interview with sky was very good, all he wanted to talk about was the positives, I like that. He has also told Benni McCarthy that he is going nowhere and will have to fight for his place. Its great to Jason Roberts back to his best. He had a horrible start at Blackburn with injury, McCarthy is reported to have said that he feels that he will find it hard to get into the team with the form of Roberts.
    Things are definitely looking up. Now all we need is a bit of cover on the right side both full back and midfield. I think we are strong enough everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah, hope Ince does well, always came across a nice bloke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

always came across a nice bloke

like when?

when he was pictured in a Utd jersey before leaving his boyhood club westham? or when he was transfer listed at Liverpool for leaking information to the press?

always came across as not a very pleasant person to me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Jeez, don't get yor knickers in a twist. I meant from what I've seen of him in interviews since he's become a manager.

I am extremely worried about our defense. There seems to be far too much space at the back, and we don't have a natural right back. I think Ince has to sort this out before the transfer window closes. I think we are strong enough in midfield and up front we have no worries. We now have four top class strikers. Santa Cruz and Roberts looked fantastic today and McCarthy and Matt Derbyshire are proven in the premiership.

ROVERS have this evening completed the signing of Australian midfielder Vince Grella from Torino on a four-year deal.

This guy can play defensive central midfield and also right midfield. He has played in Italy for the last 7 years, paying with Empoli from 2001-04 and then for Parma from 2004-07 spending last year at Torino. He was also being pursued by Fulham.

We just signed Keith Andrews from MK Dons. I know its Ince's last club and all but I don't for the life of me see any reason to sign this player. He failed to make Championship grade and he is 27 years old so I don't see him improving at this stage of his career.

I just hope I'm wrong and that Ince has indeed discovered a gem.

I guess Andrews is Inces man on the inside so to speak.

Mike

• Advertisement

We've had huge happenings this summer with the loss of Mark Hughes who was brilliant as Blackburn Manager and good luck to him in his new job. I don't understand him moving for this job, I always imagined he would go to one of the bigger clubs in time.
    Our new Manager Paul Ince came to us after guiding MK Dons to promotion in his first season in charge.

Current Squad

11. Vincenzo Grella
    17. Keith Andrews
    28. Tony Kane (Defender)
    ??. Maceo Rigters (Striker) on loan to Barnsley
    Updated squad, was unable to edit original post.

I was talking to someone regarding the situation at Blackburn last night. Suffice to say a certain club came knocking on our door late Monday evening with an offer of a certain controversial midfielder and cash for a certain left back. We flatly refused the offer and told them to go on their merry way as we would not consider this to be such a WISE deal and that our full back was not for sale anyways.
    Apparently a certain manager at the other end was not aware that this deal was being discussed and that all hell broke loose today when he was informed of said approach and his controversial midfielder being offered to another club.

I think everyone can get the picture there and I can't name names as it would be unfair to my contact. But there it is, thats what that ruckus at a certain north east club was all about today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I was talking to someone regarding the situation at Blackburn last night. Suffice to say a certain club came knocking on our door late Monday evening with an offer of a certain controversial midfielder and cash for a certain left back. We flatly refused the offer and told them to go on their merry way as we would not consider this to be such a WISE deal and that our full back was not for sale anyways.
    Apparently a certain manager at the other end was not aware that this deal was being discussed and that all hell broke loose today when he was informed of said approach and his controversial midfielder being offered to another club.

I think everyone can get the picture there and I can't name names as it would be unfair to my contact. But there it is, thats what that ruckus at a certain north east club was all about today.

Would wholly believe that. Wise acting behind KK's back now seems to have been the bread and butter of how my club is being run (into the ground).

Current Squad

11. Vincenzo Grella
    17. Keith Andrews
    23. Robbie Fowler (Forward)
    28. Tony Kane (Defender)

I just updated the squad to include Robbie Fowler. He played in our Carling Cup win over his old enemies Everton the other night. He played well from all reports. I was worried about our defense but suddenly its turned solid, with two different sets of defenders having clean sheets in two consecutive games. Stephen Warnock was given a reminder last night that Martin Olsson is just waiting for his opportunity to claim a place in the team. The future is starting to look bright again.

I stopped updating this thread as dismay set in and we watched the performances get worse and worse under Mr. Ince as we slid right to the foot of the table. You could see that I was concerned the minute he brought in Keith Andrews which seemed a very strange signing to me, and also his failure to bring in a Right Midfielder which left even the most hardcore fans questioning him. Our defense was in tatters and it was clear that the confidence was gone from a lot of players in the team, most notably Samba, Nelsen, Warnock and Ooijer which was our whole first choice defense and Morten Gamst Pedersen who recently admitted how his confidence had drained due to being dropped on match day without explanation and having to sit in the stands confused.

I have to say that I thought that Paul Ince might be a good man for us when he first arrived, but it became clear very quickly that this was not the case. I felt we had another Brian Kidd on our hands and the quicker we got rid of him the better.

So we got an early Chrismas present with the sacking of Ince and the arrival of Big Sam who for me is the perfect man for the job. We are a small Lancastrian club and we all know he was successful with a very similar club before. Things have improved immensely in the few weeks since Big Sam's arrival.

New Additions.

Since the January window opened we have made three signings.

19 year old Nick Blackman from Macclesfield. Blackman made his Blackburn debut on Thursday night for the reserves and scored, he also hit the crossbar on a delightful debut. This game also seen the return of David Dunn who was pulled just after half time having made a satisfactory return, he could be in the team to play Newcastle on Saturday.

We also signed 15 year old US youngster Jackson Ramm over a host of rival clubs, we offered Cambridge some compensation, as they are not entitled to anything by law for a 15 year old player.

And we signed 27 year old French International Gael Givet on loan to the end of the season with the option to make the deal permanent in the summer. Givet is a Centre back who can also play at left back.

• Advertisement

Amazingly for a team that a lot of people said would go down only four weeks ago, if we win our game in hand we go 12th.

An article from yesterdays Mail.
    Harry Redknapp was effusive in his praise of Sam Allardyce as he put a fresh stamp of approval on their once frayed friendship.

'His attention to detail blows me away,' said the Tottenham boss.

'How a manager like that has stayed out of the game so long is beyond me.'

It was a welcome back for a man who was at the top of his game little more than 18 months ago. He may not have been the FA's, or specifically England's, cup of tea - he is after all more Tetley's than Earl Grey - but as he chose to leave his beloved Bolton, 'Big Sam' and his meticulous planning were in demand.
    Sadly, his appliance of science ultimately left Newcastle United, whom his Blackburn side face today, bewildered. Allardyce's legacy at Bolton is still in place. The legacy he yearned to shape on the bigger stage at St James' Park, however, has been left close to ruins.

One nickname afforded him at Newcastle was Darth Vader due to the fact he breathed heavily into a microphone as he huffed and puffed his way round their training ground - but there is something more Freudian in that.

Here is a man still ahead of his time, keen to be recognised for his empire building. His failure at Newcastle continues to rest uncomfortably on his shoulders. Friends say he tried to change things too quickly. Others that the club and players were unaccustomed to modern sports science and innovation.

Damien Duff may have argued Newcastle were fitter under Kevin Keegan but some team-mates were so impressed by Allardyce's regime they still see one of his fitness gurus, Michael Pellegrino, privately. One of Allardyce's big advocates, 39-year-old Gary Speed, said: 'You need the players to buy into it. If they do it half-heartedly, it isn't going to work. If I'd gone to any other club than Bolton at 34 I don't think I'd be playing now.'

Allardyce's time at Newcastle was tarnished by training-ground yarns of goalkeepers told to kick the ball as high as possible while defenders were allegedly told: 'I don't want you thinking you can play football. Just lump it up the pitch.'

But Speed, looking to return for Sheffield United after a back injury, added: 'Sam's portrayed as old school, but he's open to ideas. He'll try anything to get that extra one per cent out of a player. Pilates, stretching, yoga, none of it outlandish but it works. A lot of people disregard something like yoga. I would have as a young player. I would have been too busy playing golf or something.'

Although Allardyce has had to cut his cloth at Blackburn, his staff at Bolton sometimes numbered 20 and many joined him at Newcastle.

Mike Forde, who helped formulate ideas from American sport, is at Chelsea while Mark Taylor, who helped bring in the club's cryotherapy room where players recover in temperatures of minus 120 Celsius, is at Fulham. Many of the analysis team are at Manchester City.

The system was simple enough when broken down into sports science, analysis and football coaching. Everything was in the detail.

ProZone picked up stats about a player's performance. Sportscode allowed Allardyce, via his microphone in the stands, to order a video re-run of an incident and use it in his half-time team talk. Injury prevention was at the forefront of his thinking - especially with a small or ageing squad.

He also picked up the Zamar treatment used on injured horses where ice-cold solutions are pumped round muscles under a bandage to aid recovery. Then there was the Chinese doctor using herbal remedies, acupuncture and Tai Chi.

Allardyce said: 'It's not a perfect science. But you've got to get as close as you can. I might tell them we are going to go for a walk. It's called dislocated expectation. Doing something beyond the norm can be good for morale.'

That morale is seemingly on the up at Blackburn, where Allardyce has grabbed his chance to start afresh. While the coaching staff is a shadow of what he is used to, his preparation is just the same.

He is on the training pitch every day and players are informed about opponents even on matchday with a little video refresher session of strengths and weaknesses.

Defender Zurab Khizanishvili said: 'We were so down when Paul Ince was here - that is why we did so badly. Fresh minds have come in and there is work to be done.'

A win against Allardyce's former detractors at Newcastle would make that work worthwhile.

But it is not down to rocket science - just meticulous planning.

Current Squad

11. Vincenzo Grella (Midfielder)
    17. Keith Andrews(Midfielder)
    18. Paul Gallagher (Striker) on loan to Plymouth
    28. Tony Kane (Defender)
    31. Bryan Hodge(Midfielder)
    36. Marcus Marshall (Striker)
    37. Alex Marrow (Midfielder)
    38. Mark Bunn (Goalkeeper)
    39. Aaron Doran (Striker)
    40. Bjorn Bussmann (Goalkeeper)
    41. Andrew Haworth (Midfielder)
    42. Gavin Gunning (Defender)
    43. Jamie Clarke (Striker) on loan to Accrington Stanley
    ??. Frank Fielding (Goalkeeper) on loan to Rochdale
    ??. Roystn Griffiths (Midfielder)
    ??. Gael Givet (Defender)

Robbie Fowler: Contract Ended
    Sergio Peter: to Sparta Prague undisclosed
    Eddie Nolan: to Preston undisclosed

I'm not sure what the story is with Roystn, his loan period ended and clubs in the lower leagues are struggling to pay wages. His contract is very close to its end.

Big Sam and his assistant were both at the Carling Cup semi final tonight. Interesting stuff, maybe we should not read too much into it as it was a local game. The reason its interesting is becuase McDonald was with him. At the same time as this game, Gael Givet made his debut for the reserves and one would normally expect the Manager or if he could not make it that his assistant would be at this game with an expected first teamer making his first start.

Anyways we'll see over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

8.30 Another interesting and widespread transfer story being reported is Blackburn's interest in Eidur Gudjohnsen. Big Sam knows the former Chelsea man well but will he be able to convince him to quit Camp Nou for Ewood Park?

If true, that would be a fantastic signing. Such an intelligent footballers and I would love to see him back in the Premiership.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    If true, that would be a fantastic signing. Such an intelligent footballers and I would love to see him back in the Premiership.
    Well it doesn't impress me at all tbh. I know he is a class act and Sam gets the best out of older players but he is 30 and the only way this happens is if RSC goes to City, which would leave us with our top 3 strikers including Eidur all aged 30 or older.

We don't need a striker unless we sell RSC, we do need a RM. Its the most crucial position that needs filling. We got to stay up and getting a RM and holding on to RSC seems the most promising way forward at this stage. RSC signed a four year contract last August so there is no worries about him going on the cheap even in the summer. I'd be surprised if there is anything to it anyways as Eidur would have to take a pay cut I'd imagine to come to us.

Great news, RSC starts tomorrow by the looks of things
    Roque Santa Cruz is set to start for Rovers in tomorrow's FA Cup fourth round tie away to Sunderland.

The Paraguayan striker hasn't started a game since the 3-0 defeat away to Wigan in mid-December, following a calf injury and the sensational form of fellow forwards Benni McCarthy and Jason Roberts.

Roberts, who has scored four goals in his last four league games, is one of five players however who misses out on the trip to the Stadium of Light.

The former Grenada international, along with David Dunn and Andre Ooijer, are all rested, whilst Matt Derbyshire (groin) and Keith Treacy (knee) are both injured - none of whom will travel.Aussie ace Vince Grella, who is nearing full fitness, and new signing Gael Givet, who played 45 minutes for the reserves in midweek, are both pushing for a place in the starting line-up.

Boss Sam Allardyce said: "I feel like we've got a big enough squad to cope with the FA Cup and the Premier League, at the moment."

Nice to see this, apparently he was not very happy before Christmas.
    Alan Judge has put pen-to-paper on a new deal with the club.
    The Rovers midfielder has signed a new contract at Ewood Park, which will take him through to the summer of 2011.
    The Irishman, who is a product of the club's Academy, made his Rovers debut as a second-half substitute in the Carling Cup victory over Grimsby back in August and followed that up with his first start in the famous blue-and-white halves away to Blyth Spartans earlier this month.
    The 20-year-old said: "I'm very pleased to have been offered a new contract.
    "The new manager has already given me a go against Blyth and put me on the bench against Stoke in the Premier League, so it's working well so far.
    "I'm very happy here and hopefully I can push on now and get a few more games under me belt."

Well theres two things that seem certain after this. RSC is staying and we are about to sign somebody.

Olympiakos have confirmed they have agreed a deal to sign Blackburn striker Matt Derbyshire.
    As revealed by skysports.com Olympiakos have lined up a shock move to sign the England Under 21 international on loan until the end of the season.
    Blackburn have allowed Derbyshire to go out on loan with Roque Santa Cruz, Benni McCarthy and Jason Roberts all ahead of him in the pecking order.
    Derbyshire has travelled to Greece to undergo a medical before tying up the formalities of the move to Athens.
    Olympiakos have confirmed the move on their offical website with a statement revealing they have no option to buy Derbyshire at the end of the loan spell.
    "Matt is expected in Athens tomorrow for his medical and to sign the contract but the deal has been agreed, he will be joining us for six months," a club spokesman said.

Aaron Doran is the latest promising young Rover to commit his future to the club.
    The Irish winger follows in the footsteps of Alan Judge and Alex Marrow by penning a new long-term contract here at Ewood Park.
    After being involved in the pre-season games against Macclesfield and NAC Breda in the summer, the 17-year-old Academy graduate was given senior squad number 39 by former Rovers manager Paul Ince in September.
    A regular for the Reserves, Aaron has represented the Republic of Ireland at all youth levels and featured for his country in the UEFA Under-17 Championships in Turkey last May.

The rumours flying around concerning us at the moment are too much. One guy has come up with the notion that we sell Roque for 25m and we are signing Peter Crouch.
    Then there is the El Hadj Diouf rumours, which seem to be more down to earth but not certain by any means.
    And this Egyptian 21 year old Ahmed Muhammadi claims he is finishing his signing today on loan for 6 months.

But this bit is for real

Two more bids for Roque turned down this morning already. Don't let him go Sam, please don't let him go.

And hot off the press, Big Sam obvously hear me
    Sam Allardyce has advised Manchester City not to waste their time making a fresh approach for Roque Santa Cruz.
    The Blues have been tracking the Blackburn striker since the summer and have already seen three bids rebuffed by Rovers.
    That, though, does not appear to have curbed their desire to land the Paraguay international, with a fourth offer reported to be in the pipeline.
    However, with Matt Derbyshire having joined Olympiakos on loan and Allardyce yet to bolster his attacking unit during the January transfer window, Rovers have made it clear that Santa Cruz will be going nowhere.
    "There is not the opportunity now to get the quality of striker we need to allow us to even consider letting Roque Santa Cruz move to Manchester City," said Allardyce.
    "So for me, he stays, although I can't put it to bed completely until the deadline has passed.
    "It's impossible, from any manager's point of view, to see what happens between now and then.
    "But I certainly wish it was the 3rd of February tomorrow."

Welcome El Hadj Diouf to Ewood Park, now I'm getting slightly worried because a rumour I completely dismissed over the last three days has surfaced on Setanta Sports this morning and its regarding us being interested in Peter Crouch. If thats the case and I don't like it at all, it certainly means RSC is on the way out which I don't like either.
    We'll see as the day develops although you don't expect much business on a Saturday.

Squad as of this morning.

1 Paul Robinson Goalkeeper
    2 Andre Ooijer Defender
    3 Stephen Warnock Defender
    4 Christopher Samba Defender
    5 Tugay Kerimoglu Midfielder
    6 Ryan Nelsen Defender
    7 Brett Emerton Midfielder
    8 David Dunn Midfielder
    9 Roque Santa Cruz Striker
    10 Benedict McCarthy Striker
    11 Vincenzo Grella Midfielder
    12 Morten Gamst Pedersen Midfielder
    13 Zurab Khizanishvili Defender
    14 Johann Vogel Midfielder
    15 Aaron Mokoena Defender
    16 Steven Reid Midfielder
    17 Keith Andrews Midfielder
    18 Paul Gallagher (on loan to Plymouth) Striker
    19 Carlos Villanueva (on loan from Audax Italiano) Midfielder
    21 Gael Givet (on loan from Marseille) Defender
    22 Danny Simpson (on loan from Man U) Defender
    23 El Hadj Diouf
    24 Keith Treacy Midfielder
    25 Alan Judge (on loan to Plymouth) Midfielder
    26 Julio Santa Cruz Striker
    27 Matt Derbyshire Striker
    28 Tony Kane Defender
    29 Martin Olsson Defender
    30 Jason Roberts Striker
    31 Bryan Hodge Midfielder
    32 Jason Brown Goalkeeper
    34 Gunnar Nielsen Goalkeeper
    36 Marcus Marshall Striker
    37 Alex Marrow Midfielder
    38 Mark Bunn Goalkeeper
    39 Aaron Doran Striker
    40 Bjorn Bussmann Goalkeeper
    41 Andrew Haworth Midfielder
    42 Gavin Gunning Defender
    43 Jamie Clarke Striker
    Maceo Rigters(on loan to Barnsley) Striker

Well we got really bad news the other day with the confirmation that Brett Emerton has in fact done serious cruciate knee ligament damage. The man gives his all in every game, will be sorely missed over the remainder of the season.

And Irish fans might like to know that Stephen Reid is back in the gym, there is no mention of a return date yet, but he is off the crutches a couple of weeks, was given two weeks holidays and then came back to head for the gym. I still doubt we will see him again this season but its great to hear that there has been no complications.

• Advertisement
Advertisement