Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn Rovers FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eagle eye wrote: »
    And Irish fans might like to know that Stephen Reid is back in the gym, there is no mention of a return date yet, but he is off the crutches a couple of weeks, was given two weeks holidays and then came back to head for the gym. I still doubt we will see him again this season but its great to hear that there has been no complications.

Definitely good news for Ireland with the midfield pairing we have atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well Big Sam continues to amaze. He is still unbeaten as Blackburn Rovers Manager.

Unbeaten in nine woohoo, still work to do in the league but with a game in hand we can jump out of the botton three without help from others. A deep run in the cup is very likely now, we still have not started anything close to a first team in that competition, maybe six first team regulars have appeared in the three games.

And Big Sam is only here since December and this guy now has 6 goals and 3 assists since then, a guy that Paul Ince said would have to work hard to prove himself. Sam picked him immediately.

1516548863-soccer-fa-cup-fourth-round-replay-blackburn-rovers-v-sunderland.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anyone have any highlights links to Blackburn's game with Sunderland from last night ?

If you go to youtube, it advertises this " Eplvids.blogspot.com " site that does not appear to actually have it.

i caught a glimpse of the two rovers goals in the pub last night, but didn't really get to see them, so trying to see them now somewhere :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Never noticed this thread before. Fair play to EagleEye for updating with news and rumours. I'll be checking back regularly.

Great win the other night in the cup. Setanta showed 10mins of highlights after the Merseyside Derby - not that many of us could stay awake! ;)

All in all, a decent transfer window for Rovers IMO. While I'm not a fan of EHD, holding onto RSC, even if he is out of form, was a big plus. Certainly good to see a defender signed in Givet, not that I know much about him but in my view, Samba, Khizanishvili and Ooijer, while they can have solid games, can also be worrying liabilities.

I'm always glad to see Nelson and Warnock start in defence, while Olsson and Simpson look to have good potential. I understand Givet can play either left full or centre half. If he's any use, pairing him with Nelson in the centre and having Warnock left and Simpson or Olsson right (now that Emerton's out) could make a reasonable foundation for the team.
    I still think more defenders than any other position need to be bought in the summer.

In midfield, while Reid and Dunn would notionally be great to have, if both were fit and in form but it's verging on the pharcical to expect that to ever happen IMO. Signings like Vogel and Grella have looked pretty pedestrian to me. Although I'm encouraged by what I've seen of Andrews. He's physically quite impressive, strong but dynamic too and seems to be a confident guy - not always the case when players step up a couple of leagues (see John Stead).

Out wide, I like Treacy, obviously with some Irish bias in there but like Andrews, he looks up for it everytime he's on the pitch. Villanueva seems to be adapting after an underwhelming start. I think the YouTube clips set our sights a bit high there! As for MGP, some of the magic is certainly gone, but the work eithic is still there at least. He's looked disheartened for a long, long time to me. Allardyce said that one or two (other than RSC) wanted to leave last month and he refused. I'd imagine MGP was one of them. I can see a move really turning things around for him but I'd obviously love to see his confidence restored while he stays at Rovers.

Up front, wasn't it gas to see Roberts and McCarthy bang in so many goals all of a sudden when it looked like RSC was leaving? They really have a good partnership and obvious friendship. Still, they're two great and one good strikers to have in any Premiership squad. Will also be intresting to see how Derbyshire gets on in Greece. I would have preferred keep him to give him his few mins here and there because he does get some goals coming on as a sub but maybe 6 months of 90min games will be great for his development. I'd say Allardyce also wants to give this new kid Blackman a run too when he can.

I did like that story about Allardyce saying to players hoping to leave last month that it was as much their fault as anyone else's that the club is in a relegation fight, and that it was up to them to get the club out of trouble. Really strong management if you ask me. If they want to get decent moves they'll do their duty from now til May and then the club are probably better off without them anyway as SA will have money from the sales and time in the summer to build his own squad.

Bring on the mighty Coventry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

that was cracking! thank you very much! :D

Nice one Roque.
    ROQUE Santa Cruz has vowed to score the goals that will keep Rovers in the Premier League.
    The Paraguayan hitman, who was a transfer target for Manchester City throughout January, says he's relieved the transfer window is now shut, because it means he can fully focus on the task of preserving Rovers' top-flight status.
    Roque, who is hoping to keep his place in Sam Allardyce's starting line-up for tomorrow's Premier League clash with Aston Villa, said: "The challenge for me from now on is to keep playing well and hopefully add some more goals.
    "Before, everyone was talking about me changing clubs, but during the transfer window I was a Blackburn player and the safest bet was I would stay a Blackburn player.
    "I'm happy that the speculation has finished and me and the rest of the players can now concentrate on getting some points on the board."
    Having been the subject of three failed bids from City during the January window, Roque is now looking forwards rather than back and he insists he is happy to stay at Ewood for the foreseeable future.
    He added: "It was never a case of this (a move) being a thing I really, really needed to do because I'm no longer able to achieve things here.
    "I love to play football here and I love to play here with my friends.
    "For me, it was never a case of if I'm not going (to City) then I can never play football here anymore because I love winning games with Blackburn.
    "I have always said that Blackburn has given me a family and a big chance to play football and I feel very thankful for that.
    "I'm enjoying every single minute here."

And a radio interview here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I certainly think this is a more tricky fixture for Villa tomorrow then i first realised. I read today that Rovers are unbeaten in 9, Big Sam is doing what he is good at and making Rovers hard to beat again. Rovers were unlucky to lose at VP under Ince.

I think a draw but would like some of that Villa luck to see us through.

I certainly think this is a more tricky fixture for Villa tomorrow then i first realised. I read today that Rovers are unbeaten in 9, Big Sam is doing what he is good at and making Rovers hard to beat again. Rovers were unlucky to lose at VP under Ince.

I think a draw but would like some of that Villa luck to see us through.
    We now have a squad full of confident players. Fringe players have been playing the FA cup games for us and the first team feel they should have won the last two league games.
    Really our position in the league does not reflect the mood among the players and fans at the moment.
    I know you guys are flying at the moment but I really fancy an upset tomorrow, and to be honest I wouldn't call it that big of an upset if we beat you tomorrow as we have been showing great form.

• Advertisement

Big Sam saying it as it is. I'm also glad we have the FA Cup this weekend.
    SAM Allardyce is happy to see Rovers turn their focus back to the FA Cup.
    The manager believes the up-coming fifth round clash with Coventry City at Ewood Park on Saturday is very timely.
    "After losing our unbeaten record against Aston Villa last Saturday and having so many players away on international duty this week, I am pleased that the next game is a cup tie rather than a Premier League fixture.
    "It is always hard to plan as normal when a large slice of the senior squad is absent and, although the FA Cup is very important to us, the Premier League is our number one priority."
    Rovers reported no new injury problems after the Villa defeat, leaving just Steven Reid and Brett Emerton as the long-term absentees.

More good news
    Rovers midfielder Andy Haworth has signed a new contract with the club.
    The 21-year-old right-winger, who has made two senior appearances for the club this season, has signed a new deal until the summer of 2011.
    A product of the Rovers Academy, Haworth has come through the ranks, making his first senior start for the club in their 2-1 Carling Cup victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light back in November.
    His second senior appearance also came at the Stadium of Light as a substitute when Rovers drew 0-0 there in the FA Cup.
    Fans can see Haworth in action this evening for the Reserves against Newcastle United at Ewood Park.
    And I'm surprised at this one, was sure he had been elevated to no.2 for us.
    Rovers goalkeeper Mark Bunn has joined League one side Leicester City on loan.
    The 24-year-old stopper has joined the East Midlands club on a month-long emergency loan deal subject to Football League approval.
    Signed in the summer from Northampton Town, Bunn has had to be patient at Rovers, his only first team appearance coming in the 1-0 FA Cup with over Blyth Spartans in January.

More good news

And I'm surprised at this one, was sure he had been elevated to no.2 for us.

Mark Bunn has a 24 hour recall clause in his loan contract.

Will be interesting to see what happens at Old Trafford. They have to lose or at least concede there sometime.

Home draw to Chelsea if Rovers beat Coventry away in the replay too. Hopefully the performance first time round was due to the international players being a bit worn out. Andrews played well in midfiled for Ireland and Kisch did okay in opposition.

Good game on Saturday. Fair enough, Evans was unlucky to have his goal disallowed but other than that, between MGP's penalty shout and hitting the inside of the post, United were blessed. Great to see Rovers (or any team) match United for in the shots and shots on target stats at Old Trafford, especially in a game that wasn't just an attack-versus-defense training excercise. The little one-touch move towards the end of the game involving Tugay was a brilliant little cameo and example of the attitude the team brought.

Obviously, United had the better of the posession but I think leaving out Vidic, allbeit with the midweek game in mind, did open doors for Santa Cruz.

It was my first time seeing Givet play and I was impressed. He's got a bit of flair to his defending, or maybe it's just because he looks like yer man from Razorlight ;) A few communicative mistakes but they're understandable given that he's new. I would much prefer him to Samba but maybe will need to see more of him.

Oijier had a really good game I thought. I'm not a fan but he did well and you could see his experience with the dutch national team. He wasn't phased against such top players. Benni Mac was annonymous when he came on I thought. Warnock had a stormer (again) and it was the best performance from MGP I've seen in a year or so, though that's not saying much. It looks like Warnock at left full is spurring him on. Fair play to Andrews. He did fine and stayed on the pitch when both his midefield counter-parts Grella and Dunn were called ashore. It's great for the national team to have him playing week-in-week out in the PL.

An important run of games coming up now. Hopefully we can get by Coventry. We then have Hull away which is a crucial game for us, we need to get a win, we are due one after all the close games recently. I'd be hoping for 6 points or at least 5 from out next three PL games. I think we can take Hull, we haven't lost to Everton over the past couple of seasons, hopefully that can continue. Then we have the postponed game away to Fulham, we should be good enough to get at least a point out of that one. The performance the weekend was very good but as Big Sam says we are not getting the luck going our way at the moment, hopefully that will turn in our favour over the next while. I was delighted with the performance of Diouf, he showed a lot of energy, I can see him playing a big part for us over the remainder of the season. He could yet be the bargain buy of the January window.

Tuesday, 24 February 2009

The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON
    Coventy v Blackburn R5R, 19:45
    Sunday, 01 March 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Hull v Blackburn 12:30
    Wednesday, 04 March 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Blackburn v Everton 20:00
    Wednesday, 11 March 2009
    Barclays Premier League
    Fulham v Blackburn 20:00

So we are out of the FA Cup due to our second team not being good enough last week. No harm in that as we could not afford to be risking good players when we are battling for survival. The win yesterday takes us out of the relegation zone and things are looking good right now.

Steven Warnock showed yesterday that he might just be a top class midfielder. He got a goal and an assist, magnificent stuff from him. He only played there due to David Dunn not passing a late fitness test. Dunny is a worry again suffering from lots of niggling injuries this season, its good to know we have backup now in Warnock for that position. Thats Stevo's third time to play in that position and he has impressed twice. Great new for Irish fans as well, Keith Andrews had a stormer yesterday.

On Robbo, hopefully its only a bit of bruising and nothing more serious.
    Sam Allardyce has revealed that goalkeeper Paul Robinson has headed to hospital for an x-ray.
    The Rovers number one didn't reappear in the second half on this afternoon's win over Hull City at the KC Stadium, coming off worse in a challenge with Hull defender Michael Turner.
    "He's gone for a precautionary x-ray," said the Rovers boss after the game. "We don't think the damage is too severe, but he's gone just in case.
    "I think it was his shoulder or his chest that was hurt."

• Advertisement

Dioufy impressing people already with his hard work.
    ROVERS keeper Jason Brown believes the signing of El Hadji Diouf has given everyone a lift - on and off the pitch.
    The Senegal international has made an immediate impact since joining the club from Sunderland in January, turning in a number of all-action performances like the one at Hull on Sunday.
    And Jason believes the African's selfless desire to work hard for the team has had a positive influence on the rest of the squad.
    The Rovers stopper said: "When Dioufy comes into the building, not only is his hair bright but so is his whole aura, and he's fantastic to have around the place.
    "He puts a smile on people's faces and he works hard, he puts a decent shift in for the squad, and it's fair to say that's what Blackburn is about.
    "When Mark Hughes was here, we were probably the hardest working team in the league and that is what we want to get back to.
    "Teams used to hate playing against us and that is what we want to get back to, just under a different manager.
    "Ask any manager in the league, they used to hate coming to Ewood and when we went to their place, because we were constantly in their faces.
    "I think we can hold our hands up and say maybe there have been games this season when we haven't done that, and that is what the manager wants us to get back to.
    "When we are doing that no-one likes to play against us, and I'm sure we'll win more games than we'll lose."

He only joined us in January but he has impressed since his arrival. This deal will give him much needed experience. I think this lad is going to be very special and I'll be keeping a close eye on things at Blackpool for the next while.
    Young striker Nick Blackman has joined Championship side Blackpool.
    The 19-year-old forward, who only completed a permanent move to Rovers on a two-and-a-half year deal in January, has signed on a one-month loan deal.
    Blackman has impressed during his short time with the Ewood Park club, scoring on his Reserve-team debut in the Lancashire Senior Cup win over Oldham Athletic, before finding the back of the net in his second match in a Reserve league game against Bolton Wanderers.
    The former Macclesfield Town frontman then impressed against Blackpool in the Senior Cup in front of former Rovers Manager Tony Parkes who is now in charge as Caretaker Manager at the seaside club.
    Blackman has been signed in time to make his debut against Lancashire rivals Burnley at Bloomfield Road this Tuesday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Dioufy impressing people already with his hard work.

I have been impressed with his general work rate alright. But once he keeps his head down and his saliva in his gob he should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Derbyshire scored tonight for olympiakos.

The relegation battle is crazy at the moment. Who'd have thought you get four points from two games and end up back in the bottom three at the end of it. Crucial game against Hull now. I said a week or so ago that I expected us to get 6 points from these games, well 7 would be fantastic and would go a long way towards easy our relegation fears. Fulham got beat by Hull tonight, hopefully we can do a job on them.

• Advertisement

A point is better than nothing from tonight i suppose, no team deserved to take all 3.

Roberts missed a good chance, that was basically all we created.

Im hoping Brown can get the groin sorted before our next game. he impressed tonight, in particular with that great save. He is confident in the air, a good 2nd choice keeper to have.

I don't think the formation worked tonight though - maybe forced to play like that with Pedersen and Dunn out, but Diouf in my opinion was terrible. I can only remember him giving in one decent ball.

Couple of things to read. I like this young Blackman, he seems to have earned respect at Rovers very quickly and this loan spell is gonna give us more clues as to exactly how quickly he is coming along.
    SAM Allardyce has urged his players to ignore what the rest of their rivals are doing and concentrate on the quality of their own performances.
    The Rovers boss has spelled out what he believes is the target for survival, and does not want his players to be distracted by what is happening around them during the run-in.
    Speaking ahead of tomorrow's trip to Fulham, Big Sam said: "The bottom line is we need to get the points.
    "We know how many points we need to get to be safe, and we have to strive to get to that total as quickly as we can, then it doesn't matter what everyone else does because we'll be okay.
    "Yes, there is an extra bit of pressure on you perhaps when other results come up that you didn't quite expect, like the Middlesbrough-Liverpool one.
    "I think that put extra pressure on us in the Hull game, but we coped with it and came through it with a victory.
    Nick Blackman grabbed his first goal for his on loan club Blackpool last night.
    The Rovers striker, who is on loan at the Seasiders for a month, made his first start for Caretaker Tony Parkes' side on Tuesday evening, and marked the occasion with a goal.
    After Sheffield Untied had taken the lead, it was Blackman who grabbed the leveller just before the break, bursting through to latch onto a through ball to fire past Paddy Kenny.
    Blackman played all but four minutes of the game, the game ending 2-2.
    At the Liberty Stadium, Alan Judge played the full 90 minutes for Plymouth but they fell 1-0 to Swansea City thanks to a late spot kick. Paul Gallagher's hamstring injury sustained at the weekend ruling him out of action.
    Tony Kane was back in the starting line-up for Carlisle, but they slipped to a 3-1 home defeat at the hands of Leyton Orient.
    Frank Fielding was back on the winning side for Rochdale as they put memories of their weekend derby defeat firmly behind them with a 3-0 win over Bradford City. The scoreline didn't tell the full story with Fielding in outstanding form in goal for Keith Hill's side.
    IN-FORM midfielder Keith Andrews is hoping to weigh in with a few more vital goals between now and the end of the season.
    The Republic of Ireland international, who has been one of the mainstays of Sam Allardyce's midfield, scored what proved to be a priceless winner in Rovers' last away game at Hull.
    Now the former MK Dons star, who also grabbed a precious late equaliser at West Brom earlier in the campaign, is looking to make a similar impact during the run-in.
    "I don't care if they come home or away, but hopefully I can chip in with a few more between now and the end of the season," said the 28-year-old.
    "Obviously, the main task is for us to stay up, but if I can add a couple of goals then that would be great."
    In the meantime, Rovers head to Fulham looking to inflict a third straight home defeat on the Cottagers.
    After losing 1-0 to Hull in the Premier League last week, Fulham were then unceremoniously dumped out of the FA Cup by a rampant Manchester United at the weekend.
    However, Keith insists Rovers are under no illusions about the size of the task facing them at Craven Cottage.
    "There's no shame in being beaten by Manchester United but in terms of league form, I know they lost their last game against Hull but overall they've been a fantastic outfit at home, picking up the vast majority of their points at Craven Cottage.
    "We are under know illusions it will be a very tough game. But it is certainly a game that we feel we can take points from."

A priceless win for Blackburn tonight away against Fulham.

2-1 in the end,

Dempsey had put Fulham ahead, but goals from Diouf and Roberts won it for Blackburn.

Brings Blackburn out of the relegation zone, and heaps more pressure on Newcastle.

Delighted with this win tonight.

Absolutely delighted, from all reports it was a well deserved win, we were far the better team. Up to 15th now and really we deserve it.

Big Sams record is impressive. Two defeats to top four teams, nobody else has beaten us since he arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Savage win away at Fulham, especially from a goal down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Great character shown!, that's why we're staying up. Diouf off the mark aswell. Anyone know a good site for watching Rovers games online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Boots09

Great win away at Fulham hopefully can drive us on for the rest of the season now!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

woo! intertoto cup here we come:pac:

So the loss to Arsenal did not do any real damage as we stayed in 15th spot after it. One more game in the month of March and if we win that we are surely well on the road to safety and possibly a Manager of the Month award for Big Sam as we are currently the most successful in the Premier League through this month.
    Sam Allardyce doesn't believe Saturday's defeat at the hands of Arsenal will affect the side in the final nine games of the season.

Rovers were on the end of a heavy 4-0 defeat at the Emirates Stadium, but the Rovers boss believes it was the victory over Fulham at Craven Cottage the previous Wednesday evening that was the more important result of the two away trips.

"I don't think it is so bad, it is disappointing but the key result for us was the three points at Fulham," said Allardyce.

"Anything we had gotten from Arsenal would have been an outstanding bonus for us."

Theres still no news on a return date for Roque, from what I hear its a day by day thing. Both Grella and Givet are expected to be fit for the West Ham game.
    In other news Matt Derbyshire got two for Olympiakos the weekend.

This is a list of our remaining games. I personally believe that we will take around 14 points from them games. I'm going for three home wins, one away win and two home draws, can't see us getting anything away to Chelsea, Man City or Liverpool(unless we park the bus).

Blackburn Rovers Final 9 Games:
    Sat 21st - (H) - West Ham Utd
    April
    Sat 4th - (H) - Tottenham
    Sat 11th - (A) - Liverpool
    Sat 18th - (A) - Stoke City
    Sun 26th - (H) - Wigan Athletic
    May
    Sat 2nd - (A) - Manchester City
    Sat 9th - (H) - Portsmouth
    Sat 16th - (A) - Chelsea
    Sun 24th - (H) - WBA

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

run in isnt too bad only Chelski and ManC (A) <<because they are good @home, (plus playing against sparky, should be good game)

Rest we should be able to get results from, maybe draw from Liverpool.
    2 wins + 2 draws should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Matt Derbyshire scored the first goal in Olympiacos's 3-0 win yesterday to win the Greek league. He has scored 4 goals in 228 mins for Olympiacos or one every 57 mins on the pitch. Impressive stuff. I don't know how the league in Greece works but I just can't see him getting enough games to qualify for a league medal, which is a bit of a pity. As against that given the league is wrapped up I'd imagine he might get a fair bit more game time for the remaining games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Derbyshire scored two for the Enland U-21s after coming on at half-time as well as having an effort with his first touch ruled out for offside. The boy really looks to be on fire at the moment

That's 6 goals in 273 mins total (one every 45 mins) since he went on loan to Olympiacos. Anyone reckon letting him go on loan might have been a mistake by Big Sam?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7959957.stm

Fantastic result on Saturday coming from a goal down again. A few very entertaining periods of the game. Warnock was everywhere, Diouf was good (even if he is a complete d*ckhead ;)) and fair play to Samba.

Andrews was an interesting one at right back. His second start there I think. I wonder if Trap might see it as an option for Ireland. IMO Andrews has been alot better than Gibson and a bit better than Whelan in midfield for Ireland but given the weakness we've shown at right back with Kelly and McShane (setting aside O'Shea's stint in there against 10 man Italy) could this be an option?

It would meaning slightly weakening the midfield but suring up a weak area of defence. Ideally, Whelan and/or Gibson would pick up a bit of form and reduce the impact taking Andrews out of midfield would have. Either way you look at it it's not exactly an embarassment of riches but could make all the difference when you consider the recent goals we've conceded due to errors on the right side - (McShane/Keogh & Kelly).

Derbyshire scored two for the Enland U-21s after coming on at half-time as well as having an effort with his first touch ruled out for offside. The boy really looks to be on fire at the moment

That's 6 goals in 273 mins total (one every 45 mins) since he went on loan to Olympiacos. Anyone reckon letting him go on loan might have been a mistake by Big Sam?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7959957.stm

I didn't want him to go out on loan, especially considering Diouf is the guy who came in essentially to cover for his move, but at the end of the day it was the best for the lad.

I think he is a quality forward player, great movement,effort, commitment and above all that finishing touch. I just hope when he does come back to the club that he will get his chance, he might not fit into Sam's style of play,

I don't want to see him becoming the new "James Beattie" because i think he could move on and be much moe of a success than James was since leaving Rovers.

Interview with Big Sam. Its an hour long. He discusses his life and its a bit of fun really but some interesting points in it. One very notable is when he is asked about promising young players and its clear that Aaron Doran is top to of the list in his mind.
    Its available here.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/articles/2009/04/08/brfc_sam_allardyce_special_070409.shtml

I'm disappointed in my fellow Rovers that this thread dropped all the way down to the 7th page in my enforced absence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If i was you Eagle Eye, i would be more worried that your manager seems more interested in petty imaginative squabbles with other managers to garner favour with him mate Alex Ferguson, than on keeping Blackburn Rovers in the Premier League.

Thats what would worry me.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If i was you Eagle Eye, i would be more worried that your manager seems more interested in petty imaginative squabbles with other managers to garner favour with him mate Alex Ferguson, than on keeping Blackburn Rovers in the Premier League.

Thats what would worry me.
    Tell me with 100% certainty that it didn't happen and I will say that Big Sam was wrong but its not his style to attack other PL managers. Maybe it was a misunderstanding but maybe it wasn't, in which case the onus would be on Benitez to explain himself.

I won't comment on what Ferguson said, even though its well known I'm not a fan of the man but I do respect him as a great manager.

that what didn't happen?

that what didn't happen?
    The hand waving gestures, he has never explained them himself but left Sammy Lee to do it for him. He also did not turn up in his office for the usual drink afterwards and never sent any word that he would not be turning up or apology for not turning up.

Firstly the hand waving gestures were taken as a lack of respect towards Blackburn and then the not turning up after the game was taken as a personal slight by Big Sam. Can you really blame him after all he has done for the LMA of which Benitez is a member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The hand waving gestures, he has never explained them himself but left Sammy Lee to do it for him. He also did not turn up in his office for the usual drink afterwards and never sent any word that he would not be turning up or apology for not turning up.

Firstly the hand waving gestures were taken as a lack of respect towards Blackburn and then the not turning up after the game was taken as a personal slight by Big Sam. Can you really blame him after all he has done for the LMA of which Benitez is a member?

First of all, Rafa doesn't normally do the whole "drinks after a game" thing.

And secondly, and most importantly, if there was one manager he wouldn't arrange to meet for a drink it would be Sam. The guy who has been banging on for years in the very public domain how Rafa only has the job cause he's a foreigner, that he's lucky not to have been sacked several times etc etc

And, to be fair, it is pretty much inconceivable that if he had been so very very hurt and offended that he wouldn't have mentioned a word of it to sammy lee when they went for drinks after, and didn't bother to make mention of it for a week, but then suddenly because shocked and appalled.

Just look at Rafa in the clips even, he's laughing away happy out, looking in the direction of the players who are looking at him.

Plus the fact that Rafa would NEVER think a game was only after 2 goals, that early on. Its just unbelieveable. Had it happened at the end after Ngogs late 4th, maybe, but that early? I simply dont believe it as it doesn't add up at all.

(incidentally, on your first point, why should he have to explain himself to a man who has shown him such a massive lack of respect since he joined liverpool. I have no doubt if the FA question them, there would be no problem, but i see no reason for him to even dignify something so silly with a response)

are you the only one in the world clinging to the notion that Benitez may have been signalling to his players the game was over, easy?

come on EagleEye.

Oh and Benitez did explain his gesture, although imo he shouldn't have, he explained it about 24-48 hours after Ferguson & Sam publically slated him.

Explanation here straight from the mouth of Steven Gerrard: (rafa said the same a few days earlier)
    "We had the set-pieces up on the board before the game and he'd told Xabi Alonso to do a certain free-kick.

"Xabi did the opposite but we managed to score from it, so he was basically saying 'don't listen to me, do your own thing'.

Now..... doesn't that make more sense than Sam & Alex crazy concoction?

Oh, and sayign Sam doesn't bad mouth other managers as a habit? I could provide you with any number of articles where he rants about Rafa going back nearly to the time Rafa arrived at Anfield.

For example, this mini rant preceeded his one after the blackburn game-anyone would think he was trying to start a row with someone to help his mate, when his moaning went largely un-noticed, he brought out the big guns & SAF help him along with their concocted tale.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5133010/Liverpools-Rafael-Benitez-loves-to-whinge-says-Sam-Allardyce.html

Then Sammy Lee, Sams friend questions why Sam didn't mention it in the hours they spent together after the game and Sam has a cheek to respond that Sammy Lee should have stayed out of it? That it was none of his business?!! it was between Rafa & Sam?!!? the Hypocricy nearly makes me sick. Its none of the assistant managers of Liverpools businses, but Alex Ferguson....he can butt right in :rolleyes:

Your manager willingly allowed himself to be publically used as a puppet by Alex Ferguson. For a club facing relegation, its testament to Big Sam the "man", that brown nosing Sir Alex is more of a priority for him.

Big Sam has no class, no humilty, no clue. I hope Blackburn get relegated as a result of his actions, and if i was a Blackburn fan I would be furious with his conduct.

big sam wrote:
    "I think they are disrespectful and quite humiliating. I waited to have a word with Rafa Benitez in his room after the game but as usual, and unfortunately, he didn't turn up"

if it was the usual thing that Rafa would not be in his room after the match, why did Sam wait for him there? and then complain when the expected result occurs. ie: him not arriving.

• Advertisement

You guys wear you Liverpool goggles all day. I'm backing Sam all the way unless you can come up with proof that he wasn't insulting Blackburn with the gestures. And Rafa never explained himself, others did the explaining and the reason for that imo is that he knows he is not a good liar so he didn't want to try it on in front of the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,737 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Oh and Benitez did explain his gesture,

He sent Sammy out to do his dirty work for him Mr. Alan, your passion in defending your manager on a story from last week leads me to believe your more trying to convince yourself than you are eagle eye.

the only one displaying any sort of goggles here is you....

fans of every club have laughed at the ridiculous allegations made by SAF & Big Sam.

Is the fact that he wasn't even looking at the Blackburn bench not confirmation that it clearly wasn't directed at Sam? Is the fact that a real explanation has been provided not proof?

are you really trying to say that you, a man who in the past has criticised Rafa for being so conservative, are saying Rafa was signalling to his players that the game was won, with over 45 mins left? are you really saying that EagleEye?

Boggles wrote: »
    He sent Sammy out to do his dirty work for him Mr. Alan, your passion in defending your manager on a story from last week leads me to believe your more trying to convince yourself than you are eagle eye.

afraid not boggles, i was actually curious as to EagleEyes opinion when the story broke, but he wasn't around since...seeing your manager being used as a pawn by another manager when your own club is looking straight at relegation must be tough, i thought his reaction might be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,737 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

afraid not boggles, i was actually curious as to EagleEyes opinion when the story broke...seeing you manager being used as a pawn by another manager when your own club is looking straight at relegation must be tough.

More assumptions Alan, as far as I am aware, Big Sam spoke out first during his press conference, and Ferguson was asked a question from a journalist a couple of hours later on the back of what Sam said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement