Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition/clubs

Options
  • 17-08-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi,

I'm new to cycling and was wondering what clubs in the south Dublin/Wicklow region are the most competitive?
    i.e. which focus more on racing than on social rides??

Also is there a yearly league or regular competition?

And in competition, how are races divided? what are the standard of the divisions?

I've tried finding this out on-line but its hard to find out!!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I've been looking for similar info, so I'll be interested to see the replies.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Try to Google Orwell Wheelers and Bray Wheelers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

pmg001 wrote: »
    I'm new to cycling and was wondering what clubs in the south Dublin/Wicklow region are the most competitive?
    i.e. which focus more on racing than on social rides??

On the south side, Bray Wheelers, Orwell Wheelers and Sorrento all have fairly active racing scenes. There's probably a few more as well, but those are the ones that come to me off the top of my head.
    Also is there a yearly league or regular competition?

Most clubs are in a club league with a few other clubs that runs every week from around March till the end of August. There is also a calendar of open races, which anyone can enter, provided they've got a racing license from Cycling Ireland.
    And in competition, how are races divided? what are the standard of the divisions?

Open races are based on Cycling Ireland classifications, which are S1/S2/S3 along with Vets, Ladies and Juniors. Club league races have their own classifications, which are limit, semi-limit, semi scratch and scratch. If you're starting out, you'll be put in with the limit group and bumped up if you're strong.

Apparently September is a good time to join a club. The racing season is drawing to a close and its a good opportunity to go on training spins over the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭psycholist

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bray and Sorrento have their own club leagues and also run an Interclub league with a few Murphy n Gun lads too.
    Wicklow Tri Club, this year, have run, very successfully, an open Time Trial series on the N11. Good turn out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement