Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

going to try to, was asked by a few so i'm on a mission haha

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

I know ive asked this before, but does anyone go to LSAD?

Anyways, I just want to know about sketchpads, should i be just drawing anything into them..any ideas i get, even if i never actually develope them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I'm only applying for LSAD.
    I just dropped out of ul and am signing up for a portfolio course in lit which starts on the 2nd of february.

I havn't a clue what I'm doing...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xxgranzxx

is a portfolio really worth doing even if your unsure about the courses? does anyone know about the animation course in IADT, whats it like? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Core Create

Ok come on guys, I'm starting the portfolio, and I keep thinking maybe my ideas are WAY far out, because they're practically not even linked to it (Technically they are, at least the way I linked it in my mind map)

Also where it says "get a physical example of [the idea]" and then "make observational examples of it" does that mean I have to look and draw? Can I not use my imagination? Why are most - if not all - the things observational drawings?

Can a context be like, in someones hair, and if the 'idea' can't be in a physical form, does that mean I can't do it, or should I just go for it? I'd love to tell someone the idea that's not doing the portfolio, because, even though it may not be great, I'd rather loads of people not knowing it. (This is where someone can go ahead and ask to hear it. :P)

Atm, I'm thinking of loop holes for ways I can fix my ideas into their awkward little brief by playing on words like 'conditions' and 'physical' and 'context'. Would that be ok? Or would they just mark me off for not following the brief?

Please Please Reply! I need help. I know it's not my only choice, but I love the campus and everything so much lol.

• Advertisement

you need to start with observational drawings so they can see you have the required skill to draw correctly and precisely from real life.

its only the initial worksheets be they photographs, 3d work or 2d. the last section is very open to imagination.

on another level they need to see you're capable of following a brief.

Im actually thinking of doing the NCAD brief and sending it to LSAD!

:(

What do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unugh

That would work.I know people who handed an NCAD portfolio into LSAD and got it.I handed a portfolio that was clearly labelled as the NCAD brief into Dun Laoghaire and got accepted with really high marks for both choices i picked there. They dont care because it still shows them your thought process + technical ability , as the brief was designed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unugh

Also where it says "get a physical example of [the idea]" and then "make observational examples of it" does that mean I have to look and draw? Can I not use my imagination? Why are most - if not all - the things observational drawings?

Imagination is a bad idea and will work against you.They want real items because it gives them the best example of how you are technically , even before the brief most portfolios iv seen where based around observational drawings of an object and then expanding from there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Im doing the NCAD brief as well, anyone want a hand let me know PM me. I will add my notes so far. I have been attending a night course aimed at this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Sec A exercise 1

Mind map -

A1 sheet for each Habitats,Food,Mech,Memories.

Each sheet should have as many ideas as you can come up with, dont fuss over how good everything looks. Everything is open here, past present & future. Film/books/art/man made/organic.

Sec A exercise 2(a)

Observational Studies

Choose one item from each mind map.

A1 sheet with about 4+ studies of the item you have picked, ie: charcoal, pencil, painting, pastel, collage.

4 sheets req intotal.

Sec A exercise 2(b)

Choose two items from any mind map.

Best items here to use are Mech+food (IMO), that can be taken apart/cut/mashed/broken.

Visually Record

Use ANY media you can think of mix of charcoal + painting, pastel + collage. video+paint.

IE: Place the items in a glass jar of water(colour water?) will some float ? some sink ? Draw it/paint it/ photo it/collage it

IE: in a plastic bag etc

2 worksheets - Showing differant ways in which you have placed each or both items

Sec A exercise 2(C)

Observational Studies

Choose one item from a mind map.

Lets say you picked a fruit, now smash it up, cook it, let it go off, dry it out etc. Hard light/soft light etc

Using UNTYPICAL/ALTERNATIVE media.
    1 sheet for each condition you have picked.

3 sheets in total.

Sec A exercise 2(a,b+c) = 13 sheets(A1) intotal.

===========================================

Sec B

3 A1 sheets

Come up with your own ideas DO NOT FOLLOW the examples if at all possible.

Here they ask you to make a "connection" with any two items from your mind map. The word worksheet is used here again so think of as many ideas as you can and use as many differant media you can. Remember leave every idea you use on the sheet.

Food <---> Mech

Example : Food=cheese + Mech=Hammer,

hammercheese.jpg

2 sheets req per connection, so thats :

1 sheet for Food <---> Mech
    &
    1 sheet for Mech <---> Food.

Total sheets 6

===========================================

Sec C

Pick any 2 and go totaly mad ! From what we were told, this is aimed at outdoor stuff, so most of us have based our choosen two to happen/taken place outside.

2 sheets per task

Total 4 sheets.

=========================================

23 sheets in total. Best of luck !

=========================================

Observational Studies = tone/shape/texture/light v's dark.
    Visually Record = This implies mixed media film/photos/collage/3d

Sheet: where I used the word sheet I mean A1 sheet.

This is my own take on the brief, from my own notes/ guides from the class teacher. I am doing a portfolio prep class. I hope it is of some help to someone.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 NeonTiger

Hey dudes, im doin a portfolio for a graphic design course im wonderin if i can include a painting i did on canvas r jst photos of it r sumtin???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

NeonTiger wrote: »
    Hey dudes, im doin a portfolio for a graphic design course im wonderin if i can include a painting i did on canvas r jst photos of it r sumtin???
    Just photos :)

Just a question,do the colleges give an opportunity to anyone who passes at the portfolio stage and cut down when the points come out in August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

A193 wrote: »
    Just a question,do the colleges give an opportunity to anyone who passes at the portfolio stage and cut down when the points come out in August?
    Um not sure all I know is if you get into NCAD you don't need points, just 2 honours and 4 passes

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kanedaly60

What's the story with putting NCAD on the CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

http://www.ncad.ie/admissions/index.shtml

There's all the course codes for it. I went to Crawford, but as far as I remember they use your points from leaving cert and points awarded for your portfolio. Hope that helps.

how long after you submit your portfolio can you get your portfolio back from ncad?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

As far as I remember there is something like a week set out when you drop them in, you should get it back within the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'm currently putting together a portfolio for Visual Communication in DIT, however most of what I do is digitally based (would print at A3). So far I have a college newspaper which I'm art director of, a few posters and a couple of observational drawings (they're only on A4 though :o). Would photography stand on it's own or would it need to be incorporated into a larger piece like a poster?

I'm just worried that it'll end up too concentrated on newspapers, magazines and posters, and that there won't be enough diversity or traditional media. Will this work against me do you think?

• Advertisement

whats the story on including video for the brief? i know 2 mins are allowed but is it a popular option? i'm quite found of video so i was just curious

I'm also doing a short video piece for my portfolio. :D I was at a lecture at NCAD last year and the only thing they really said in reference to video was that many of the disks they received last year were in the wrong format.

How are everyones portfolios coming along..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 claireob13

Hey, new to this but kinda FREAKING OUT coz I got my date for portfolio assessment for Fine Art and Vis comm. (in Crawford and CIT) and it has to be in waaaaaay sooner than I expected. Right now I have: about 12 A2 sheets with still lifes, life drawings & various ideas in all different mediums, I have a A4 canvas painting, an unpainted, unfinished 3d, a complete 3D (painted and everything) which still both need to be photographed and put on sheets which will give me maybe 1-2 more sheets? And a thick A4 sketch book almost full with ideas and songs lyrics and still lifes etc. etc...

Its due 4th March? Any advice? Looking for any help I can get, xxx :rolleyes:

you seem like you're on the right track :)

My interview for cork is soon too.

OMG so happy got invited to an interview based on my mini portfolio to Edinburgh. Read this morning on their website that applications are up 186% i think, freaked out all day then what do you know got a email waiting for me this evening! chuffed!!!!

I just got an interview for ECA too. It's so exciting. :D

Congrats :D when is your interview? were you asked to answer the questions or not?

It's next tuesday. :D And I didn't get asked any questions. What were they about?

they were about your work, are they just viewing your portfolio or do you have a chance to speak to them? It seems to depend on which course you applied for.

• Advertisement

Apparently I have a 20 minute interview. I think. :S

Advertisement