Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 whereismysheep

I'm putting a portfolio together for ballyfermot but ive hit a brick wall in regards to what content i should include.
    The brief says "observational studies" and ive done 3 still lifes of fruit and general house stuff, but i want to have variety in my portfolio does anyone have any advice for my subject matter it would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

From my class it seems its not about picking lots of objects and doing one or two observations on each. It's about indept observation on a select few items. Tone, shape, form, colour, texture, pattern ect using different media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 whereismysheep

thanks for that i'll go into more depth then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Got my assesment on 26th, so I have 2 weeks to pull it together. Anyone fancy guiding me towards the end??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DreadsinDublin

I'm putting a portfolio together for ballyfermot but ive hit a brick wall in regards to what content i should include.
    The brief says "observational studies" and ive done 3 still lifes of fruit and general house stuff, but i want to have variety in my portfolio does anyone have any advice for my subject matter it would be greatly appreciated

I went to Ballyfermot for Art, Graphics and Printmaking and found all the teachers were crazy about having a sketchbook on the go no matter what you were doing, sitting in the park/ coffee shop/ on the bus or wherever you are loads from home too. All of your main pieces are separate to this, its really good practice too! its important to notice little things like the folds of fabrics and how shadows fall off different objects. They don't have to be finished perfectly just rough sketches that capture your idea in some way. Its not all about the object your drawing its about textures and how light and outside influences change the details of the object itself does that make sense to you?
    What are your interests.... because you are the one that will be drawing/ painting and basically concentrating on it for the next while so I would base your subject matter on something you like hope that helps! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Has anyone got any info on what happens during the LSAD interview, im kinda clueless as to what will happen and wanna be prepared!

you'll be asked questions such as what is your best work and why ect. The idea is just explain everything you're asked don't finish a answer with "because its interesting". the want to know the whats and whys.

Got into ncad today, scored 950, im shellshocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

950pts out a 1000pt Fecking good on ya !!!!! Well done really well done to you.

I got on the waiting list for NCAD and CIT put me on the final selection process (mature students are differant).

I am well chuffed cause its been about 10yrs since I picked up a pencil let alone a paint brush.:eek:

Chorcai wrote: »
    950pts out a 1000pt Fecking good on ya !!!!! Well done really well done to you.

I got on the waiting list for NCAD and CIT put me on the final selection process (mature students are differant).

I am well chuffed cause its been about 10yrs since I picked up a pencil let alone a paint brush.:eek:

fingers crossed for ya dude! which one would you prefer to get?

seriously shocked, couldn't believe it. Its raised my spirits about getting into Edinburgh, had the interview there monday, 30 got to the interview stage for a possible 6 places. I'll be doing cartwheels if I get in there!

• Advertisement

fingers crossed for ya dude! which one would you prefer to get?

seriously shocked, couldn't believe it. Its raised my spirits about getting into Edinburgh, had the interview there monday, 30 got to the interview stage for a possible 6 places. I'll be doing cartwheels if I get in there!

TBH either but NCAD because I am now living in Co.Louth, but if CIT takes me Ill move back home to Cork.

Best of luck with Edinburgh, oh to be young again, I'd apply for a few places in the UK.

Getting 950 from NCAD is really top notch stuff, they can be so moody + picky sometimes.

yeah, I know it was luck.
    I'm not too young lol 23 next month (two months short of being a mature student), still group B because I've been to college already.
    Hope they'll be more good news on this thread.

2011 NCAD brief out already !

http://www.ncad.ie/portfolio/formats.html same as the last one but just differant mind maps (Enclosures, My Place, Vehicles, Instruments) and
    1. Take it apart and wear it
    2. Record four man-made landscapes
    3. Make a shrine for a treasured object or possession
    4. Show five inventive ways to get snow off a roof
    5. Exercise an animal in an inventive way
    6. Record three shadows
    7. Wrap a sentence
    8. Use colour to record the contents of a fridge
    9. Identify a coincidence and record
    Glad I did this years one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RecklessAbandon

I'm starting the '11 brief now. I prefer these topics compared to last years ones.. I think. Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Well done! Got 850, ya have me beat!

The best iof advice i can give you regards NCAD

If you get a tutor by the name of Mary Cullen..Good Luck, dont listen to a word she says and never let her disharten you!

I'll bare that in mind if I go there, thanks. Isn't there a summer project?

tbh it's hard to know how they grade these things, two others got in from my plc class (probably more from the other classrooms) and I would have felt we were all on par we eachother, we all had different interests. Its nice to get the validation, even if I feel like a complete chancer for only starting working towards the brief in the last month. I did work alot though but i was missing i think a sheet or two.

I'll bare that in mind if I go there, thanks. Isn't there a summer project?

tbh it's hard to know how they grade these things, two others got in from my plc class (probably more from the other classrooms) and I would have felt we were all on par we eachother, we all had different interests. Its nice to get the validation, even if I feel like a complete chancer for only starting working towards the brief in the last month. I did work alot though but i was missing i think a sheet or two.
    Ah there is but I neeeded the summer to do study, grandparents were pushing to get a great LC.

I started really late too and was missing a bit of work but i deserved to get in cause i went to two mid week portfolio courses

So the projects optional?
    Got limerick interview next week, it'll be my first "proper" interview in that i speak for more then 2 mins and they look through it with me in the room. Never been to LSAD before, I'm dying to see what its like.

So the projects optional?
    Got limerick interview next week, it'll be my first "proper" interview in that i speak for more then 2 mins and they look through it with me in the room. Never been to LSAD before, I'm dying to see what its like.
    Oh you mean the one you have to do when you get accepted, no its not, thought you meant the summer scholarship.

THe project is relatively esay though mostly collecting, unless they change it.

I only applyed to NCAD, DIT and IADT, wasnt moving from Dublin, interviews arent as bad as you would think though, just make sure to show passion, commitment an interest in art history and an ability to deal with large work loads

lol I didnt even know there was such a thing as a summer scholarship, whats that about?

In an odd way im actually looking forward to a proper interview! The interview at Edinburgh was done through essay answers and them looking at my work along with everyone else in a room, then calling us in one by one to simply re-ask us the first essay question. I kinda want to be tested, you know, unexpected questions and the like, lol exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

Well done spinandscribble (and anyone else who got in), your result is amazing!! I remember being so happy when I got in, I cried when I got my letter this time last year. :)

TwoBirds wrote: »
    Well done spinandscribble (and anyone else who got in), your result is amazing!! I remember being so happy when I got in, I cried when I got my letter this time last year. :)
    Hello *waves* you must be in my year XD

lol I didnt even know there was such a thing as a summer scholarship, whats that about?

In an odd way im actually looking forward to a proper interview! The interview at Edinburgh was done through essay answers and them looking at my work along with everyone else in a room, then calling us in one by one to simply re-ask us the first essay question. I kinda want to be tested, you know, unexpected questions and the like, lol exciting.
    It was like 2 weeks doing the brief in NCAD available to students in D8 and D12

Disadvantaged areas apparently!

I love interviews too, except i get really nervous, think I have my interview for 2nd year coming up *gasp*

My reaction was really funny when my mom rang me (it was posted to my home house address). I was really calm and kinda quiet, a few hours later it sunk in and I got giddy when I saw the letter.

DigiGal wrote: »
    Hello *waves* you must be in my year XD

Hello back!! Urgh, we're going to be second years when the new Core people come! :(
    And yes, I agree with your advice up above about tutors! - but there are some lovely ones too, don't worry spinandscribble. :P

TwoBirds wrote: »
    Hello back!! Urgh, we're going to be second years when the new Core people come! :(
    And yes, I agree with your advice up above about tutors! - but there are some lovely ones too, don't worry spinandscribble. :P
    Do we have like final exams in may or is that just our assessments for consolidation?
    Mary told me consolidation was done in four weeks, that cant be right?????

Ah yeah some really nice tutors, Hot David is especially nice XD

Do we have like final exams in may or is that just our assessments for consolidation?

oooh I dunno, the last hot tutor I had in nuig made me tongue tied and I'd end up saying the most inappropriate things! lol

oooh I dunno, the last hot tutor I had in nuig made me tongue tied and I'd end up saying the most inappropriate things! lol
    I'm sure he wont mind lol

Gah!! :eek: Nah, I'm sure that's just consolidation?! Yeah I think they're assessing us over three weeks or something that's how it looks on the little schedule thing they gave us, dreading it! :(

• Advertisement

I'm sure he wont mind lol

neither did he *rabble rabble rabble*
    Fozzie+Bear.png

Advertisement