Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

neither did he *rabble rabble rabble*
    weh weh weh *nudge nudge*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

DigiGal wrote: »
    If you get a tutor by the name of Mary Cullen..Good Luck, dont listen to a word she says and never let her disharten you!

Strange thing to say, any reason why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

A couple of my class have the same date AND time for there interview! Does that mean theres a couple of examiners and we all get one or do we have to wait in line, im really clueless about this part haha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Chorcai wrote: »
    Strange thing to say, any reason why ?
    She crushed my soul.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Im so happy i got the offer, i couldnt believe it.
    I got into second year intermedia art at edinburgh college of art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Im so happy i got the offer, i couldnt believe it.
    I got into second year intermedia art at edinburgh college of art.

Congratulations! :)

Im nervous about my interview..Im afraid incase they look down at me or kinda think 'what is this crap!'..:(
    Does anyone know about the interview process, i really wanna know!

A193 wrote: »
    Im nervous about my interview..Im afraid incase they look down at me or kinda think 'what is this crap!'..:(
    Does anyone know about the interview process, i really wanna know!

okay from tutors and people i know who interviewe there its important that you're able to explain your work, why you did this or that, practice talking your portfolio through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gillianb4

I got into NCAD :d sooo happy!! I can't wait to go!!! :D:D:D

okay from tutors and people i know who interviewe there its important that you're able to explain your work, why you did this or that, practice talking your portfolio through.

Thanks, also do you know if it takes very long, as in if I arrive at 9.30 (my appointment time) will I be seen soon because 2 others in my class have the same time? Also do you know when we find out the results?

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure theres a group of people looking at portfolios at the same time.

Noone but lsad knows what time they expect to have processed everyone but since i know ppl with interviews in May, so don't expect an answer until they've seen all the candidates.

Im pretty sure theres a group of people looking at portfolios at the same time.

Noone but lsad knows what time they expect to have processed everyone but since i know ppl with interviews in May, so don't expect an answer until they've seen all the candidates.
    cool thanks for clearing that one up. I have a feeling they put us in the same time thinking we might go together!?

eh no, they do that so they can see everyone from each place in bunches, my tutor thinks its to compare standards, approaches ect, that why loads of my year who are under 23 are going in tomorrow and friday and all the over 23s are going on the 15th of april, it seems to be done by region/age. anyone who had to push back their interview are going in may on the same day.

So it looks like a long day in limerick? I thought it was like have the interview within half an hour or so of the appointment but that seems unlikely?

i don't know, everyone has different times to be there. just relax and think about how you'll talk about your work, don't sweat the small stuff

Very, very true. Thanks at least someone helped me clear that up.. Long day in the art room tomorrow..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I thought Visual Communications in DIT was supposed to be a graphic design course :mad:

OctavarIan wrote: »
    I thought Visual Communications in DIT was supposed to be a graphic design course :mad:

Vis Com is the new buzz word for graphic design !

http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/az/title,27806,en.html

got my porfoilo assesment letter this morning, 540 out of 600, for both Vis Com + Fine art. Not to shabby me thinks !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Vis Com is the new buzz word for graphic design

Evidently not because they failed my portfolio and it contains award nominated design. If award nominated design isn't good enough to get into a graphic design course then DIT are a sorry state of affairs.

Congrats on your score though. I'm not bitter or jealous :P

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Evidently not because they failed my portfolio and it contains award nominated design. If award nominated design isn't good enough to get into a graphic design course then DIT are a sorry state of affairs.

Congrats on your score though. I'm not bitter or jealous :P

What did you put in your portfoilo ? Did you outline that you got nominated for an award ? Sometimes you have to spell it out for colleges, dont even get me started on the CAO nit pickers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

The brief is extremely overwhelming at first but you need to simplify it right down for yourself. Get your brainstorming done first. Take each theme and collect, photograph, sketch everything that comes to mind. Do out a list of things that come to mind. Think outside the box as that shows that you think creatively and aren't just doing what everyone else will think of.
    Thankfully the brief has fallen into place after the first year which was very difficult.
    My advice is not to mount your work til the very end. If you spend the time producing more than you need you get to pick the best to present for them and everything else can go into idea development notebooks. There is no right or wrong way to do a portfolio. The main thing is that it shows you as a creative thinker. They want ideas people.
    You should visit plc open days and see examples of portfolios. Do check with the colleges that they do the brief as alot of portfolio courses don't actually undertake to do it. Go to end of year degree shows and see how people explore unusual ideas. What you do for the brief provides you with enough work to re-jig for other colleges. I think it is a great system, as it gets you to focus and develop some great ideas. That is how they need you to think and work when you get there! You start to look at everything around you totally differently, thats if you don't go mad first! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

The interviewers in my LSAD interview were quite strange. They seemed to have very little interest in my work and at one point actually asked me if I was a masochist!
    Somehow I doubt I'll be getting in there next year, but I've got ncad anyway. Were they weird to anyone else?

Emmpty wrote: »
    The interviewers in my LSAD interview were quite strange. They seemed to have very little interest in my work and at one point actually asked me if I was a masochist!
    Somehow I doubt I'll be getting in there next year, but I've got ncad anyway. Were they weird to anyone else?

That is really odd ! Unless of course you get your freak on in the bedroom... no that would make you a sadomasochist :eek:

Interviewers had the hots for you maybe ?

ITA! For most of my interview, I was listening to the guy examiner and agreeing, I couldn't get a word in! And they weren't very interested in much of my work at all, but they did stop at about 3 or 4 sheets..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

That is really odd ! Unless of course you get your freak on in the bedroom... no that would make you a sadomasochist :eek:

Interviewers had the hots for you maybe ?

Now that you mention it he well had the hots for me. I bet he uses the "so are you a masochist?" line on all the girls!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

My interview with LSAD was a bit odd alright, they kept keeping me on my toes, I felt a bit more interrogated then interviewed at times.

Maybe the interviewer was a bit bored? Wanted to spice things up a bit?

Anyone know when Limerick send out your results?

I doubt you'll hear back before mid may, i know some who postponed their interview until then.

I got mine just now, got 410/600, which is unbeliveble to me, I'm so shocked! I didn't even think I would pass let alone get that much!!!

Well done! Surprised you've heard back so soon, i'll have to txt a few others to see if they heard back too. Guess they send the scores out as they see people. Now you just have to get the LC out of the way. You celebrating?

• Advertisement

They told me 2 weeks and I had my interview 2 weeks ago today. Didn't think it would come because of the bank holidays but.. Yeah, celebrating by learning off german for the oral! :(

Advertisement