Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

What points are required this year? Heard they might go up. I need to get my fetac in order but i've been immoblie the last few days with a bad back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Padman

Ok,im a bit lost here as to what I should be doing in order to get a portfolio done.SHould the portfolio only be done within the brief and if so should I wait until the brief is announced?Im only in 5th year now and im still undecided about what course I want to do but im really interested in the IADT Animation course

When should I start this portfolio and what should I put in it?Is a normal portfolio preparation course not suited when apllying for animation?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

Out of interest, could people that did portfolio or plc courses say where they did them and what colleges they got into? Would love to know the stats...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Currently in Drogheda Institute of Further Education. Brilliant course, with options to do Graphics, Anthropology of Art, Metalwork, Woodwork. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Quick question... How long have Wexford/Carlow been asking for portfolios?? I never realised they did!:o

Hi BlueNemo. Heard that the fashion and design dept in DIFE got 6 people into Ncad and great results for DIT and LSAD. Thats a great result for NCAD considering plcs get limited places overall. There are a few different Art and Design courses there aren't there? How did u get on? Where are u heading next year? Did u do the Art course or the Design course? Its all very confusing! Overall how did ur class do? Heard O'Fiach College in Dundalk got 2 into NCAD. Colaiste Dhulaigh normally get a few in too and Colaiste Ide has a good rep. Colleges should have annual results as to where their students end up I think.

• Advertisement

Well GTI got 10 into NCAD and three on the waiting list, noone was outright rejected, plus alot got into LSAD,DIT and good art colleges in the uk. TBH wherever you go as long as you're working hard and being creative you'll be fine. they don't "get you in" really and stats are meaningless when you consider the region the school you attend is in, for example many more applied to lsad then ncad in galway because of distance.

Hi spinandscribble. I totally agree with you when u say, as long as you're working hard and being creative you have a great chance in being accepted into 3rd Level. But I do feel that the portfolio course u choose can have a huge roll to play in guiding u towards the college u want to go for. As regards stats, I feel that if I lived near you I would be very impressed by the stats you gave for your course. I think they are very relevant for prospective students in your region. Similarly in the Eastern Region, those that are interested more in NCAD and DIT need to know which courses are better than others. Alot of people that choose to do portfolio courses also need a full Fetac award to secure their places in 3rd Level. Some courses are not providing the option of a full award and i think prospective students need to be aware of that if they are not relying on their Leaving Cert points or Mature status. Portfolio preparation is an overwhelming thing for alot of people as evident from comments even here and I think that if a course provides a structured environment with effective teaching and learning it certainly helps! Obviously students being extremely talented is a bonus for tutors in portfolio courses! But I've seen students who have never done Art before in their lives being guided in a structured learning environment and go on to 3rd level with fabulous portfolios. You have done wonderfully well yourself. Would love to see what a portfolio that got 950 looks like! Good luck in your Fetac too.

Sorry I didn't know you were in the East you didn't mention where you lived.

The most thing i've noticed is no matter the standard of the student at the start of the year if they listened to the tutors and practiced in their own time as well as attending classes they've done well. its really all about practice and thats really the main thing.

If you're in LC now i'd recommend focusing on your exams as although its possible to get the full 400 fetac points, its rather difficult i've heard. The main thing is still the portfolio.

lol well, i'm still confused bout the 950 but the only thing i will say is i approached it with a idea of showing a broad skill base as I was more concerned about having a portfolio suited to the intermedia degree at ECA.

Edit: what i will say is all the tutors at gti are great at helping those who want help. I can't imagine tutors chaining you to a desk but they're great at encouraging and they really do their best to get the most out of willing students.

Well spinandscribble I've never heard of anyone getting 950 so u must be amazingly good! NCAD don't give out those kind of results without merit. I'm sure ur tutors are extremely proud. I believe Edinburgh is a fabulous college. U'll have the pick of them all which is a great position to be in! Have u made any decisions or do u have a preference at the mo?
    I know its really hard to get 400pts in a full Fetac award but all u need for NCAD is a full award with 5 distinctions. LSAD is a min of 3 distinctions but they are points based. Last year the cut off was 795points so portfolio added to Leaving points or Fetac points. Bet ur glad ur course DOES a full award!
    I'm sure u have a very exciting few years ahead of u and its kind of cool not knowing where u'll end up! Still want to see ur work!!

My ncad brief wasnt as finished as i'd have liked at the time but it worked out and its nice to get validation for sure, i was still very nervous about ECA. i always had edinburgh as my first choice, i planned on reapplying next year if i didnt get in this year. The college is really nice and the tutors in intermedia particularly good from what i've heard from students. Intermedia is not actually a fine art media course as many think, its not about any specific media its more about concept. Seems very freeing

Btw you only need fetac if you havnt the leaving cert min. Edinburghs asked i pass my fetac so i guess i am glad they offer the full award but if they didnt it wouldnt seem right. If i'd decided to go to ncad i wouldnt need the full fetac, but after spending a year working i'd like to have the award regardless.

• Advertisement

Well wishing u all the best spinandscribble wherever u end up!

thanks, hope you find a fetac course that suits, just remember. sketchbooks sketchbooks sketchbooks!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ollie182

Alri lads!

Theres aloooot of talk about some amazing portfolio course in Bray? I heard the lady's name is Annette. Does anyone have any details on this?

I'd really appreciate it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mondriaanlover

Well GTI got 10 into NCAD and three on the waiting list, noone was outright rejected, plus alot got into LSAD,DIT and good art colleges in the uk. TBH wherever you go as long as you're working hard and being creative you'll be fine. they don't "get you in" really and stats are meaningless when you consider the region the school you attend is in, for example many more applied to lsad then ncad in galway because of distance.
    From what I know- a good friend going there too- GTI got ten in and SIX on waiting list! thats ten out of NCAD intake of 120 total students which is pretty good. Interviewees at Limerick and GMIT told to go to GTI if theyre work not up to scratch. If it makes the difference between getting a place in a good college its worth going to a good portfolio preparation course. I think they do more than just get portfolio ready. Some portfolio preparation courses truly appalling and students from some courses are preferred by some colleges

From what I know- a good friend going there too- GTI got ten in and SIX on waiting list! thats ten out of NCAD intake of 120 total students which is pretty good. Interviewees at Limerick and GMIT told to go to GTI if theyre work not up to scratch. If it makes the difference between getting a place in a good college its worth going to a good portfolio preparation course. I think they do more than just get portfolio ready. Some portfolio preparation courses truly appalling and students from some courses are preferred by some colleges

was sure i'd heard three waiting, either way its nice so many got accepted or could still get in.

yeah they really help with more then the portfolio, I had help with preparing for my interview and given practice talking about my work. I don't think all colleges know what specific plc you're in, like ncad as it was not written anywhere on our portfolios but i guess they do see if you're in LC or already a school leaver. Maybe they check it but i'd personally have thought they let the work speak for the students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I had my interview today.....I was in and out in 5 minutes.??? I don't know if this is really really bad or good? I'm kind've freaking out! :S

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

I had my interview today.....I was in and out in 5 minutes.??? I don't know if this is really really bad or good? I'm kind've freaking out! :S

for where?

BlueNemo wrote: »
    for where?

LIT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

LIT

Did they speak to you or just look at your portfolio while you sat outside their room?

red_bairn wrote: »
    Did they speak to you or just look at your portfolio while you sat outside their room?

LIT do interviews.
    5 mins seems kinda short but then again maybe they got the info they needed? did you ask any questions?

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »

They spoke to me while they were looking through it!
    LIT do interviews.
    5 mins seems kinda short but then again maybe they got the info they needed? did you ask any questions?

They asked me who my favourite artist was, I said Daniel Danger. They asked me what I got in my leaving, I said 460. She smiled, glanced through my stuff again and said "That's it, you can look around the college if you want!".

I hope I got in.

you got good LC points, i tend to take it as a good sign when they ask. that sounds like all the other interviews people i know went on to LIT. some asked more questions to the interviewers though.

I got 500 points...got my letter back today! So that's 960 altogether:D

I got in.. woot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Dun Laoghaire results are out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PseudonymLost

Hi, sorry if this is a slight diversion from the results and whatnot, but I'm just in the early stages of starting my 2011 portfolio and I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what exactly is meant by "Wrap a sentence"? It's one of the options for Section C of the brief...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

Hi, sorry if this is a slight diversion from the results and whatnot, but I'm just in the early stages of starting my 2011 portfolio and I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what exactly is meant by "Wrap a sentence"? It's one of the options for Section C of the brief...

Whatever the hell you want it to mean! Just make sure to explain the thinking behind your idea. There really are no right or wrong answers.

It means...whatever that means to you. They want to see YOUR ideas. Come up with a few different ideas and try to eliminate the obvious ones and the ones that don't grab you. Try out a few different ideas using different media and record this process. The more different the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Hi just letting people know that theres a great college in kilkenny. ormonde college . They do a level 5 and Level 6 Fine Art course, still interviewing for September this year. May be helpful for anyone looking to apply for 2011.
    Ormondecollege.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Artchic15

Hey im doin my porfolio too for 2011 and was just wonderin has anyone applied for the portfolio course in NCAD in July?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Hi am just wondering does anyone know if your results on your portfolio course count towards your acceptance in 3rd Level, (hoping to apply to NCAD, currently working on their brief!).
    I've just got my result ,Level 5, I got 8 out of 9 Distinctions Merit for Photography. I'm back in Sept to do Level 6.
    Will any of this help me, or is acceptance just based on the Brief?

Advertisement