Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nosmodias

mardybum wrote: »
    I'm really interested in the crawford thing tho, I got my letter from them the other day, got 525 points, which I was pretty happy with. Why did you choose them instead of NCAD?

I really think the thing with art college is where suits you. I saw crawford and straight away I felt at home! that sounds weird but I knew I could work there! We were the first year who didn't have to pick a department, and could do whatever we wanted. I painted for the first 3 years and then printed for my degree show.And it was great because you weren't tied to one medium.

Limerick was so sterile I didn't like it at all. Yet a friend of mine does print there and loves it and another friend did fashion and loved it. NCAD wasn't for me I really didn't like what I heard about it. But in sayin that some people need that environment. Also what medium your interested is goin to effect where you like aswell. Portfolio courses are good as well not only for the portfolio obviously but because you get to try loads of different things out. In mine we did jewellery making, design, graphics and all the normal ones. This is all just my personal opinion now just because I don't like somewhere doesn't mean everyone would hate it! I have a friend in NCAD and she loves it!

Congrats on those points!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 qwertyu

cool well either way its this wk! im jst forgetting about it (trying to) limerck is my 2nd choice to, havent got an exact interview date back in the post yet tho. hope its late april so i can have time to get rid of the projecty feel from the brief portfolio i did lol. hope i get limerick if not ncad. got a thing from galway aswell but also hvent been hearing great things bout it! anyone that goes there or limerick please post some info bout the colleges ...

also any tips for the limerick interviews??

Reallly thought id get my letter today from ncad. Its annoying the way they tell people different days.

good luck evryone anyways!

soooo whose joining me in sept?????!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Motorbreath

qwertyu wrote: »

Not me unfortunately... didn't get in :(

*frantically researches PLC Portfolio Courses*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unugh

I am!! was in college today and had to wait all day to open it..such a relief.im so excited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brewhaha

Do you guys means you got into NCAD? I got in too! what points did everyone get for their portfolio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 teeney

Hi all, been following this thread for a while, congrats to those who got in,
    i got put on waiting list with porfolio score of 487.5. kinda pleased I did so well as i didnt really submit strong portfolio. what do ye think my chances of getting a place? i would be mature student.
    thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

Me! :D:eek:
    I can't believe it, I'm so happy. My mam brought the letter to the school and I left my art class to open it, I made such a scene. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Didn't get in...on waiting list.496.5
    HEARTBROKEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nosmodias

teeney wrote: »
    Hi all, been following this thread for a while, congrats to those who got in,
    i got put on waiting list with porfolio score of 487.5. kinda pleased I did so well as i didnt really submit strong portfolio. what do ye think my chances of getting a place? i would be mature student.
    thanks.

they usually allow a certain amount of places for mature students and it depends on how many people who say no. you'd be surprised how many do but it'd be after the CAO usually. did they tell you what number you are on the list?

Congrats and commiserations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mardybum

Phew arama, I got in. So sorry to those who didn't, see ya soon to those who did. :)

P.s just for an a bit of an aul fyi, my route to gettin this far was after about 4 or 5 year wilderness of workin and doin no art at all, I started Saturday classes in the Hugh Lane (they run about every 4-6 months and are *amazingly* worth it) I did the course called 'drawing from the collection'. Then I applied to do a night course in NCAD -portfolio preperation, was very good at developing my work, but not organised enough to get an actual portfolio out of!I also did night classed in Trinity - life drawing and sculpture (on Pearse st opp firestation, just a run down building with a sign in the window, also well worth a go). Then I gave up work and am doin a portflio course in Ballyfermot. all that's taken almost 3 years!

Anyway, my point is if ya didn't get it don't worry!! If its for you it wont pass you, and keep tryin! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

didnt get in and im absolutely gutted...just cant explain how awful it feels..
    got 550 and am on waiting list but seems unlikely now. raging that ive enuf points if it was last year and i was in school but cos i took a year out its not enuf :(

congrats to all who got in tho :)

Papillon! wrote: »
    didnt get in and im absolutely gutted...just cant explain how awful it feels..
    got 550 and am on waiting list but seems unlikely now.

Thats crazy,now im curious to know what where the minimal points for being accepted.
    So far I am the only one in my college to get accepted and iv had my fingers crossed for some of my friends.A lot got on the waiting list in the 480-500 range and iv been telling them they can find out their positon by ringing the college,but it doesnt look likely they will get in with such high points ahead of them.

+ Those that didnt get in please dont be discouraged.Iv been in the same position and it took me a while to find out how I worked best(Ballyfermot did NOTHING for me but others got LOADS out of it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 teeney

I called NCAD and were unable to tell me my position on waiting list. So just have to stick with the wait. Do any of you guys know if the brief will change now for 2010 and if so when would they release it?

i got 672.5 points, the minimum to get in was between 600 and 1000, so i just made it really i think ??

i did a portfolio course in colaiste dhulaigh, theyre amazing there, so anyone in school, dont fret your only young, go do a PLC course in sept and try again. i went straight into a course i didnt like from school i finished first yr, didnt go back in september but started dhulaigh instead, it was a risk, but worth it, so i would recommend!!!!

xo

teeney wrote: »
    I called NCAD and were unable to tell me my position on waiting list. So just have to stick with the wait. Do any of you guys know if the brief will change now for 2010 and if so when would they release it?

I'd say try them again in a week or so. I'll be doing that myself anyway.
    and its the same brief for next year as far as i know. i think it changes every 2 yrs

i got 672.5 points, the minimum to get in was between 600 and 1000, so i just made it really i think

no thats REALLY good! :) well done!

I got in with 550 points but I was a category A so it's easier... I have a feeling that i just barely got in though :(

I just called NCAD and they said that the cut off point for category A offers was 517

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

I was Category A too, I got 650 points, but I'm just pleased I got in. :) Congratulations to those who did!

To those who didn't, really sorry, but it will all work out for the best. My friend didn't get in when she applied straight from school and only got in after her second PLC course. But now she's doing fashion in Ncad and she is getting on great, she's glad the way she did things because she can deal with everything better now..

• Advertisement

yeah i was category B!

im category B as well.Found out today I was the only one accepted in my college,they must not have a lot of places for PLCs at all this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Congrats to everyone you got accepted to NCAD. It is very hard to get into, well done.

And to those who are on waiting lists.. hard luck not getting into NCAD but it isn't the end of the world. Only one girl in my class from Colaiste Dhulaigh got into NCAD. And to be honest compared with everyone else in the class I could see no real difference between her portfolio and others. So you might have a great portfolio but not what the tutors were looking for. Others went to DIT and DLIADT and are doing really well - Graphic Design, Model Maker, Running an Art Gallery, Training to be an art therapist, Interior Design... (NCAD was never a want for me.. I went to DLIADT and now returning to do Science!! lol).

So what I'm saying is, there are other courses out there and believe me, they are ALL tough! It won't be like art class where the teacher says that's a lovely drawing... ;) In Art you will constantly get knock backs so this will just make you tougher!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

Got accepted as a Category A applicant,cant believe it still over the moon about it!! Got 630 which i was fairly happy with as I had alot of doubts and only 7 worked up A2 pages,although i think it was alot down to my notebooks aswell. Alot of people i know seemed to get on the waiting list which is strange but hopefully it should work out for those that did...

yeah im in dhulaigh... im the only one in my group that got in bt theres 3 groups and out of the other 2, only 2 got in, so 3 of us altogether!

feel really lucky i got in, but i did work my assss offff not gna lie!!

can't wait to start. apparently we're gonna get a project sent out to us to do over the summer to 'get our minds thinking' before we go into core... so that should be interesting.. hopefully it wont be part 2 of the brief haha..

i heard 162 people got in and then theres 10 places reserved for the disadvantaged access scheme thingy..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

I was wondering about that actually, if 162 people + the other 10 got in or whatever how are they going to give all these people places when theres something like 137 places? Well according to qualifax.ie theres only 137, I know there is people who will drop out/not get whatever u need in the leaving but does this mean that we're still not garenteed a place? I hope this is not the case...

hey, no ignore qualifax it's always innacurate sure last yr ncad took in 185 people, thats what i was told at the open day this yr, and on qualifax last yr he sed it sed there was 150 places. like they take extra if they cant choose between portfolios, they just have a limit y'know.

so dny worry ur place cant be taken away from you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gerardinehearts

yeah im in dhulaigh... im the only one in my group that got in bt theres 3 groups and out of the other 2, only 2 got in, so 3 of us altogether!

feel really lucky i got in, but i did work my assss offff not gna lie!!

can't wait to start. apparently we're gonna get a project sent out to us to do over the summer to 'get our minds thinking' before we go into core... so that should be interesting.. hopefully it wont be part 2 of the brief haha..

i heard 162 people got in and then theres 10 places reserved for the disadvantaged access scheme thingy..

well done on getting in. but i do have a point to make. only 3 people from a PLC course got in from Dhulaigh???? I think this is ridiculous, sickening almost.

You must of worked hard and well done considering. I left in october november kind of, and had a long conversation with my tutor on why i left. I was told ncad wasnt the best, by doing the brief i was lessening my chances of getting accepted into other courses. ect

I got in happily, no thanks to them. i am delighted and have nothing good to say about the dhulaigh course. i know a good few others who feel the same way.

having said this i know it is impossible for everyone to get accepted but the statistics are unbelievably low and i think are a fair reflection of how disappointing the course was this year. They really would want to sort themselves out seing as this brief for ncad is not going away (personally i loved it). they are holding a portfolio prep course, thus should cater for their students every possible course available.

i want my 500 euro back.

well done to everyone. my rant is now over ...

xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Badger features

unugh wrote: »
    im category B as well.Found out today I was the only one accepted in my college,they must not have a lot of places for PLCs at all this year..

Really? What college are you in?

• Advertisement

im recommending colaiste dhulaigh anyway , suppose its not for everyone, i can see why people wouldnt be fond of the environment of the place, but i was personally speaking, the thing is though, last year everybody got in somewhere, maybe not ncad, but there was only 20 people in total that actually put their portfolios in from the whole 3 classes in the course, so 3 out of 20 isnt that bad considering, the stats...

well done evryone ne way!

Advertisement