Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheap barge

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ninty9er wrote: »
    Nissan Serena, that's a van with windows (actually, not just to look at).

He wants a barge, not a MPV

It does what it says on the tin! A reliable people carrier...

like the safrane, bigger cheaper option to the laguna. another cool motor and cheap to boot

this is great having everyone else do the searching, coming up with some little diamonds

If it starts with RENA, just forget it!!! Depreciates quicker than a Lada in Zimbabwe...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Drop your resistance to change, go with a Nissan Serena...

Drop your will to live? :eek:

I'd rather stick my genitals in a blender than buy a yoke like that. I've three small children and a barge (or any family saloon really) would be fine for size. Estate would be better and I like the one bazz linked to

unkel wrote: »
    Drop your will to live? :eek:

I'd rather stick my genitals in a blender than buy a yoke like that. I've three small children and a barge (or any family saloon really) would be fine for size. Estate would be better and I like the one bazz linked to

If you and I agreed here, this place would be very dull! :D:D:D Ok, maybe not a serena, but ffs a renault... I've a few customers with Serena's (not taxi's!), and they're cheap and cheerful, no mad maintenance issues, the odd one a clutch and the odd oil leak like any other car, one service a year and thats about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If you and I agreed here, this place would be very dull! :D:D:D Ok, maybe not a serena, but ffs a renault... I've a few customers with Serena's (not taxi's!), and they're cheap and cheerful, no mad maintenance issues, the odd one a clutch and the odd oil leak like any other car, one service a year and thats about it...

The Serena diesel held the dubious record in the late 90's of being the slowest car (well, van with windows) on sale to get from 0-60. It can do it in a stunning 28 seconds. Imagine what it would be like full of children and assorted baggage heading off for a weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

ninty9er wrote: »
    If I were buyin, I think that would be my choice....seriously underrated car and good looking too IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Skoda Superb anyone?

I know a petrol model will be hard to come by in this country but they are absolutley collosal in the back and I would imagine they have a huge boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Skoda Superb anyone?

I know a petrol model will be hard to come by in this country but they are absolutley collosal in the back and I would imagine they have a huge boot.

I know it's a Skoda, but €3k would even be pushing the boundaries of their depreciation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BM_318i

Without a doubt the Omega, far better value for money than any of the others.

I paid less than €1000 for a 98 2.5 V6 Omega, full heated leather, electric seats, dual zone climate control, CD changer etc. etc. Very very comfortable and they are actually a pretty reliable car,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joe1982

I would consider the alfa 166 I bought one for 2'400 with full leather every toy possible and only 65000 miles on it with full service history and new belts, I have it 6 months now and its just like a new car, not one problem at all since I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that Mazda Xedos9 ninty9er pointed out is seriously good value

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hogeybear

You know you could get the C4 generation of Audi A6. That's up to 1997 for that money. That is a barge and the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol aren't bad on economy either!! The boot's HUGE and as far as I remember it has Airbags and 5 three point seat belts for the kids safety. (pretty cool looking too!)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    that Mazda Xedos9 ninty9er pointed out is seriously good value

Rare and full of toys. And a bit of a looker too. Indeed a lot of car for the money. That said, it is also slow and a 4-speed conventional autobox in the 21st century is seriously retarded

mike65 wrote: »
    Just a warning about this Merc, it does not have the climate control it states or even air-con

You still looking, Mike? Last I remember you posting about your A6 it was on its last legs and that was ages ago

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Rare and full of toys. And a bit of a looker too. Indeed a lot of car for the money. That said, it is also slow and a 4-speed conventional autobox in the 21st century is seriously retarded

It wouldn't be too bad, unkel.

ENGINE CAPACITY: 2497cc
    CYLINDERS: V6
    VALVES: 24
    POWER: 168bhp
    TORQUE: 159 lb-ft
    DRIVEN WHEELS: front (FWD)
    STANDARD TRANSMISSION: 4-speed automatic
    OPTIONAL TRANSMISSION: none
    BODY STYLES: saloon (sedan)
    SEATING CAPACITY: 5

MAXIMUM SPEED: 131mph
    0-60: 9.4 seconds
    AVERAGE FUEL ECONOMY: 27mpg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It wouldn't be too bad, unkel.

Your figures indeed aren't too bad. Dunno where they are from but a 1.4 tonne car with about 170BHP is not going to be fast. It just won't do 0-100km/h in 9s as per you figure. I googled and found a 0-100km/h time of 11s, which is probably more realistic. And 11s would be too bad imho :)

My old E34 was about 1.5 tonnes with 215BHP and it did the sprint in just under 9s with a 5 speed auto

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I like that mazda now, I wont have to make a decision like this for a long while well at least I hope
    realistically is that not going to be a gluton on petrol though? suppose he did ask for a barge
    seeing as were doing japanese now the camry is good although a little cramped for that "class" of car
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lexus/LS400/4.0-V8/1159313/
    barge-tastic

I always thought estates were a good option for families

heres a good onehttp://www.apolloduck.ie/listings.phtml?cid=4

yes immature and childish but I couldnt resist

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

hogeybear wrote: »
    You know you could get the C4 generation of Audi A6. That's up to 1997 for that money. That is a barge and the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol aren't bad on economy either!! The boot's HUGE and as far as I remember it has Airbags and 5 three point seat belts for the kids safety. (pretty cool looking too!)

Thats all true, I have one myself there are few on carzone right now
    You still looking, Mike? Last I remember you posting about your A6 it was on its last legs and that was ages ago

Its still going somehow, its started to use some coolant but as its only covering 20/30 miles a week atm its not an issue. I'll keep it until it expires and then start looking for something.

Mike.

woop wrote: »

Indeed. But "sold as seen" so bound to have some serious issues...
    mike65 wrote: »
    Its still going somehow, its started to use some coolant but as its only covering 20/30 miles a week atm its not an issue. I'll keep it until it expires and then start looking for something.

It ain't dead until it's dead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

BMW 520i - not that fast but clean as a whistle.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/520/SE-Auto/1145044/

With the history on this car it'd go forever.

Ferris wrote: »
    BMW 520i - not that fast but clean as a whistle.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/520/SE-Auto/1145044/

With the history on this car it'd go forever.

Way overpriced when the below E39 sold for €2,800.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=51740&cat=2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

bazz26 wrote: »
    Way overpriced when the below E39 sold for €2,800.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=51740&cat=2

True, that e39 was a bargain, not many of those going.

That e34 on carzone has been there for a while so an offer would be the way to go. Also 5k oil changes and a full history. If ever there was a barge that wasn't going to give up the ghost. Also it looks to be in excellent condition.

Cars like these can have huge repair bills if they go wrong, often writing the car off economically, pays to buy a good one. Also if the luxobarge in question looks well then you can keep it for longer without people thinking you're driving a banger. Buy well, buy ftw.

Advertisement