Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats on the job, Who has a cat at their workplace?

Options
  • 17-08-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The current job I am working at as a sub contractor has a tom cat that hangs around to the canteen looking for food at lunch and then disappears for the rest of the day, It sleeps in the factory among the machinary. The last job I had had similar, there the boss used to provide food for it. I can see a use for them ridding the place of rats, mice and pigeons. Dose anyone else have cats in their work place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

where I work has pet cats. could ye not put some money together and get him neutered & vaxed? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I wish! I'd love to bring my pets to work!:D I stayed in a small hotel once that had a pet cat (but not in the guest rooms).

Apparently its quite common in the US for people to be allowed to bring their dogs to work. A friend of mine visited Google in California, and the staff all had their dogs running around playing!

Cats would be good in the workplace - nice clean & calm animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Oh yeah it would be great to have a cat in the work place killing all the native wildlife:rolleyes:. Seriously people why can't ye see what cats really are when they are left to their own devices. They are the worst alien species ever brought to our country, far worse than mink!! And everybody just loves them and turns a blind eye to reality. Then ye cry about cruelty and the killing of wild animals by people using dogs. Ye are using cats, the cats are there for your entertainment and pleasure. Such double standards.:rolleyes: Keep your cats locked up indoors, have them spayed and don't feed feral cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

NoNameRanger you're clearly a bit of a nut.

OP - the data centre of the company I work for has a pet cat that lives in the office area. There's people there 24/7 so it's not like the cat could get lonely or go unfed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

eth0_ wrote: »
    +1
    Oh yeah it would be great to have a cat in the work place killing all the native wildlife:rolleyes:.
    The only "native wildlife" that could be found around most factories would be rats, rats with wings and mice, fair play to any cat that can rid any place of these. :rolleyes:

don't feed feral cats.
    If you don't feed ferile cats they are going to look elsewhere for food, ie "native wildlife" :rolleyes:

I also suggest you use removed the lid of your wheely bin completly to give them access to more food.

kerrysgold wrote: »
    where I work has pet cats. could ye not put some money together and get him neutered & vaxed? :D
    It would have to join the Union first :D

• Advertisement

+1

The only "native wildlife" that could be found around most factories would be rats, rats with wings and mice, fair play to any cat that can rid any place of these. :rolleyes:

If you don't feed ferile cats they are going to look elsewhere for food, ie "native wildlife" :rolleyes:

I also suggest you use removed the lid of your wheely bin completly to give them access to more food.
    Perhaps you could out up a Barn Owl nest box at work and help their population recover, they will sort the rats and mice.
    What about all the other birds that cats kill, Finches, Tits, House Sparrows, etc,etc. They live in your urban environment too you know.

If you don't feed feral cats then they won't be such prolific breeders and there won't be so many of them. Why do you think there are so many more in the cities compared to the countryside and why do they always stay near humans? I explained this to you already when you were ranting about wheelie bins and how we should allow rubbish to be scattered around the streets to save the foxes and cats.:rolleyes: Even the best fed cat will hunt for sport.
    I think it is fairly conclusive my friend from your previous posts that you are indeed the nut . As i said before, try learning a little about ecology.:rolleyes:

eth0_ wrote: »

OP - the data centre of the company I work for has a pet cat that lives in the office area. There's people there 24/7 so it's not like the cat could get lonely or go unfed..

A bit of a nut maybe,:D but Run to da hills is a complete one:rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

A mate of mine had a sheep dog in a metal fabrication shop, maybe not as independant as a cat if that would count. The dog would sniff around customers feet and drive everyone mad. One day a Hietons metal truck arrived. As they were unloading 8"4"1/6" sheet steel, one sheet slipped out and landed on the dog cutting it in half. Pets have no place at work, I.E. They have no concept of work place safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I think nonameranger is a complete nut! A wildlife nut. He is well informed, educated on the subject and knows his beans. I have learned from him to be honest.

You all have to admit, the barn owl box is a damn good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh yeah it would be great to have a cat in the work place killing all the native wildlife:rolleyes:. Seriously people why can't ye see what cats really are when they are left to their own devices. They are the worst alien species ever brought to our country, far worse than mink!! And everybody just loves them and turns a blind eye to reality. Then ye cry about cruelty and the killing of wild animals by people using dogs. Ye are using cats, the cats are there for your entertainment and pleasure. Such double standards.:rolleyes: Keep your cats locked up indoors, have them spayed and don't feed feral cats.
    You were quiet for so long, I was wondering about you. Are you going to hijack every thread about cats to give out about them? :)

• Advertisement

You were quiet for so long, I was wondering about you. Are you going to hijack every thread about cats to give out about them? :)

:) Not every thread, just the ones about bloody feral cats and the one left out to kill wildlife;):).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I feed feral cats - but I also spay & neuture them as well - I have to say a huge thank you to Cottage rescue who lend me a humane trap when I find a new semi feral cat - usually large toms that have just started to spray etc.

I personally have a lot of cats - around 16 with the ferals I feed but I also feed a lot of native birds - we have robins, blue tits, chaffinches, gold finches as well as sparrows & all the normal birds. We have a lot of swallows in the summer, common buzzards at the back & we used to see a fair few little owls but have not heard these much lately. We used to have lots of bats too - but we have not seen many recently.

We don't have Little Owls in Ireland:confused: do you live in the UK? We have long-eared (most common) Barn Owl (disappearing fast) Short-eared (Rare) and we get the occasional Snowy Owl in the North West.
    16 cats in one home:eek: And you draw in flocks of birds for them:eek: Used to have bats too! so what do you think has happened there?
    Fair play to you for going to the expense of having them spayed and neutured . Maybe you could get the next few put down and save yourself some money and save alot of wildlife. I know it's not easy for somebody that loves cats to hear this, but it the harsh reality. Personally i value wildlife more than pets. There's no point in feeding wildlife in a garden with 16 cats. Pity you don't have a few Golden or Sea eagles out the back , that would tip the balance in favour of the birds:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

NoNameRanger, it's good that you are so passionate about wildlife, but a true animal lover has respect for all animals and wouldn't want to harm anything. It is this view of cats that has Ireland in the dark ages when it comes to animal welfare. AFAIK there are no laws in this country to protect cats. People can neglect or abuse them as much as they like and nothing will be done to them. The people who spend their own time and money on trying to help these animals (by rescuing them and TNR'ing the ferals thus reducing the numbers eventually) should be praised rather than slagged off.
    Pesticides used by farmers and modern farming methods in general are supposed to be a major cause of wildlife being killed but nobody wants farmers inconvenienced of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

But for good animal husbandry you at times have to 'harm' animals aka put them down.

Its not just the countryside which is loosing its song birds.

Bond 007 just out of curiosity do you have immediate neighbours?

kerrysgold wrote: »
    NoNameRanger, it's good that you are so passionate about wildlife, but a true animal lover has respect for all animals and wouldn't want to harm anything. It is this view of cats that has Ireland in the dark ages when it comes to animal welfare. AFAIK there are no laws in this country to protect cats. People can neglect or abuse them as much as they like and nothing will be done to them. The people who spend their own time and money on trying to help these animals (by rescuing them and TNR'ing the ferals thus reducing the numbers eventually) should be praised rather than slagged off.
    Pesticides used by farmers and modern farming methods in general are supposed to be a major cause of wildlife being killed but nobody wants farmers inconvenienced of course!

True animal lovers take all things into consideration and then act in the best way for all concerned and not just act for the individual animal. I will shoot cats that pose a threat to endangered birds and mammals if i need to. I do not condone cruelty and there are laws protecting all animals against cruelty. I have been involved in prosecuting several people in such cases.
    I have nothing against individual cats and owned a few when i was younger and still stroke the odd one.:) We (humans) domesticated cats and placed them in every corner of the globe. So we have to be responsible for the control of their populations and the damage that these populations cause when left unchecked. Sometimes this means culling, reducing and controlling the population.

I admire people who have feral cats spayed etc.... at their own expense. I'm not slagging anybody for their efforts. But it makes more sense to cull these animals that cannot be rehomed and to put the money that would have been spent into something more worthwhile. For example: nestboxes, bird feed, habitat improvement, IPCC, Birdwatch Ireland..etc.etc. I have no problem with cats as pets, people get great pleasure from them, but as animal lovers, can you accept that having this cat for your pleasure is going to kill countless wild birds and mammals? And are you prepared to take measures to ensure that they don't. Bells have been proven ineffective by the way.

Difference between me and most people here is that i don't consider the cat as an individual, I look at the big picture and take the most logical and un-emotive solution. Sorry if this seems very cold but thats life really. The animals you are defending are far more cold and cruel than you or I. Why can't the worlds most popular pet be a herbivore like the Rabbit or Guineapig.:)
    I have no problem tackling farmers in relation to wildlife either, visit the nature and birdwatching forum.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

If people were made to take responsibility for controlling their cats you would not have the levels of ex domestic strays breeding and creating these colonies of cats. There is an awful attitude in this country of getting a cute 6 week old kitten, bringing it home and leaving it out in the back garden at the first opportunity. Even those that keep them in for a few weeks are looking for how quickly they can get them going to the toilet outside.

I have 7 cats, I love my cats, but I don't see why my neighbours should be forced to have them using their property for their bathroom. So I have a secure cat run that they can go outside and enjoy themselves in the fresh air when they want, but they cannot hunt wildlife - apart from the odd very stupid rodent and worms - they go to the toilet where I provide for them and - most importantly from my perspective - they are safe from being run over, poisened, shot or many other possible harms.

The animals you are defending are far more cold and cruel than you or I.

:D Now who is being emotional? Cats aren't being cold & cruel - they are just being cats

I'm not disagreeing with your main point though. I think people generally are extremely ignorant about how to take care of their cats. I can't think of any other kind of pet who are generally allowed to wander about unsupervised. Its ridiculous - not just because of their hunting, but they also use other people's gardens as toilets, and they get knocked up and knocked down more times than is funny. :D

I don't know what can be done to change people's mindsets about keeping cats in a secure area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

You would want to go way up the evolutionary scale to come across altruism in the animal kingdom. Felines show very very little of it.

If people were made to take responsibility for controlling their cats you would not have the levels of ex domestic strays breeding and creating these colonies of cats. There is an awful attitude in this country of getting a cute 6 week old kitten, bringing it home and leaving it out in the back garden at the first opportunity. Even those that keep them in for a few weeks are looking for how quickly they can get them going to the toilet outside.

I have 7 cats, I love my cats, but I don't see why my neighbours should be forced to have them using their property for their bathroom. So I have a secure cat run that they can go outside and enjoy themselves in the fresh air when they want, but they cannot hunt wildlife - apart from the odd very stupid rodent and worms - they go to the toilet where I provide for them and - most importantly from my perspective - they are safe from being run over, poisened, shot or many other possible harms.

I wish all cat owners were as responsible.:)

• Advertisement

I keep mine in! (I want a pat on the back too!):D

lightening wrote: »
    You would want to go way up the evolutionary scale to come across altruism in the animal kingdom. Felines show very very little of it.

Hard enough to find it in humans at times never mind cats:)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoNameRanger viewpost.gif
    The animals you are defending are far more cold and cruel than you or I.

:D Now who is being emotional? Cats aren't being cold & cruel - they are just being cats
    Yep they're just being cats but you wouldn't believe the amount of people who say "my cat wouldn't hurt a fly". I assure you I'm not getting emotional:D
    I keep mine in! (I want a pat on the back too!):D

:D:DPat Pat Pat:D:D Just don't start purring:D:D

Advertisement