Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loch Corrib

Options
  • 17-08-2008 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Whats loch corrib like for camping? any good spots around there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What do you mean by 'around' ? On the shore - not a clue

Most of the islands are covered in trees and no good for camping. Inchagoill is the most popular camping spot. If you go camping, TAKE YOUR RUBBISH WITH YOU and burn any leftover food or take it home, otherwise you're feeding the rats

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

JohnCleary wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'around' ? On the shore - not a clue

Most of the islands are covered in trees and no good for camping. Inchagoill is the most popular camping spot. If you go camping, TAKE YOUR RUBBISH WITH YOU and burn any leftover food or take it home, otherwise you're feeding the rats

I meant in the area of it, camping sites and so on?

no sh"t like it's that what your supposed to do with rubbish? Can people leave information and not lessons for five year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Yeah, way to win friends and influence people...

So the area of Lough Corrib? Well most of it is water, which is pretty hazardous to camping, so if you manage to put your tent up on solid ground, be it an island or part of the shore you're doing well.
    You do know that it's the biggest lake in the country, right? So with that in mind, where would you like to camp? Galway city? Oughterard? Headford? Cong?
    I doubt you'll get any meaningful answers with that kind of attitude.

You'll get information out as good as you put in.

[edit]John, I was out there camping last recently, and I'd be out there again this month but for the weather. There aren't as many rats as I thought, maybe three or four around our decent sized campsite for the night within scurry-hearing-distance, or maybe just the one being rather noisy. Although, there were a couple of cruisers full of idiots over by the pier making mucho noise all night probably attracting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

no sh"t like it's that what your supposed to do with rubbish? Can people leave information and not lessons for five year olds

Tough crowd:rolleyes:

flyingoutside - I had some advise on campsites etc. for you, but with that attitude you can p1ss off and do your own research. For your information, I find that on an almost weekly basis I have to clean up after people because they leave their rubbish behind (I've been going to Inchagoill for years, and intend to go for many more - It just sickens me when I see rubbish left there). I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush, but it's nearly always the campers, because they have nowhere to store their rubbish. Granted it's not always the campers, i've often had to kindly remind people in boats before that no one is gonna take their rubbish for them.

wet-paint - What did the cruisers look like? Names? Doubt it was me as last Saturday was my first time there in a few weeks (weather). I don't know much about rats, but I think it's leftover food that attracts them, not noise (open to correction here though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Ah I've no idea, this was maybe six or eight weeks ago, turned out to be a bunch of dubs when we walked round the next morning. Big cruisers though, looked like two eight berths or maybe one ten berth.

wet-paint wrote: »
    Ah I've no idea, this was maybe six or eight weeks ago, turned out to be a bunch of dubs when we walked round the next morning. Big cruisers though, looked like two eight berths or maybe one ten berth.

They must be down visiting friends cause there's no hire cruisers on the Corrib. They were probably actually 6 berth cruisers, I don't know of any 8 berth cruisers on the Corrib (Granted you'd prob sleep 10 on the floor, but oficially speaking don't think theres any proper 8 berth cruisers on the Corrib)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

flyingoutside - I had some advise on campsites etc. for you, but with that attitude you can p1ss off and do your own research.

Jesus JohnCleary, will ya give the poster some information, don't be so petty it's an internet forum ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Think there may have been an 8 berth a few years back, some boat that was brought in from the Netherlands if I remember correctly. The guy who owned it was a complete disaster though, completely oblivious to the rules of the river. The wash he used to create when we were rowing was downright dangerous; got his comeuppance though when he ran it aground and sank it on the rocks opposite the Arts building.

Dont think I've seen an 8 berth since. Sorry for the deviation from the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Think there may have been an 8 berth a few years back, some boat that was brought in from the Netherlands if I remember correctly. The guy who owned it was a complete disaster though, completely oblivious to the rules of the river. The wash he used to create when we were rowing was downright dangerous; got his comeuppance though when he ran it aground and sank it on the rocks opposite the Arts building.

What are the rules of the river or where can you read them?

• Advertisement

That's a 6 Berth (Yes it looks quite big, but it's a 6 berth) and is running well, despite having a 'smashing' time a few years back

What are the rules of the river or where can you read them?

There are no set rules of the river. All users should follow COLREG rules - Unfortunately, a lot of people don't even know what COLREG's are for and don't know the rules for avoiding collisions etc. (Thats a different topic for a different day - any Tom, Dick or Harry can just buy anything aquatic and off they go - your budget is your only limit :( )I've found this especially bad with rowers, but this may be to the sheer volume of rowers on the river. To make things worse, the 'launch' boats are usually driven by untrained teenages who don't even wear lifejackets (illegal since the boat is under 7m long) and cause a disturbance to moored boats by whizzing past causing a wash and thus damaging moored boats. So the next time you see someone in a boat not slow down for a rower, think 'Karma'. For the sake of an easy life I just cruise the river, gives the engine a good chance to warm up before picking up speed once I get to the lake

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Jesus JohnCleary, will ya give the poster some information, don't be so petty it's an internet forum ffs.

Ignorance doesn't work with me in real life, or on an internet forum. I'm sure he can spend 5 minutes Googling

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

There are no set rules of the river. All users should follow COLREG rules - Unfortunately, a lot of people don't even know what COLREG stands for and don't know the rules for avoiding collisions etc. I've found this especially bad with rowers, but this may be to the sheer volume of rowers on the river. To make things worse, the 'launch' boats are usually driven by untrained teenages who don't even wear lifejackets (illegal since the boat is under 7m long) and cause a disturbance to moored boats by whizzing past causing a wash and thus damaging moored boats. So the next time you see someone in a boat not slow down for a rower, think 'Karma'. For the sake of an easy life I just cruise the river, gives the engine a good chance to warm up before picking up speed once I get to the lake
    The sheer amount of assclownery exhibited by rowing types in tin cans is exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

That's a 6 Berth (Yes it looks quite big, but it's a 6 berth) and is running well, despite having a 'smashing' time a few years back

There are no set rules of the river. All users should follow COLREG rules - Unfortunately, a lot of people don't even know what COLREG's are for and don't know the rules for avoiding collisions etc. (Thats a different topic for a different day - any Tom, Dick or Harry can just buy anything aquatic and off they go - your budget is your only limit :( )I've found this especially bad with rowers, but this may be to the sheer volume of rowers on the river. To make things worse, the 'launch' boats are usually driven by untrained teenages who don't even wear lifejackets (illegal since the boat is under 7m long) and cause a disturbance to moored boats by whizzing past causing a wash and thus damaging moored boats. So the next time you see someone in a boat not slow down for a rower, think 'Karma'. For the sake of an easy life I just cruise the river, gives the engine a good chance to warm up before picking up speed once I get to the lake

How is it that no matter where you go there's always a bunch of idiots that won't learn the code for such things.....rivers, lakes, roads etc.

I'm not ultra strict on rules myself but I am one for good ettituque in general.

Pig ignorant ******* . Drown them.

As for leaving loads of rubbish around after you when camping - well that is good reason to introduce the death penalty. Has there been bins laid out for campers?

This world in general is unbelievably shi*te when you have re*tards such as this.

workaccount - Unfortunately in Ireland the main rule on the water is 'common sense'. Even more unfortunate, 'common sense' is very rare with Irish people :(

Also, with regards to the campers and rubbish, no, there are no bins laid out on this particular island... sure who would empty them? The County Council don't maintain it, Coillte & OPW do - Their job is not to collect bins. It is up to people who bring their own rubbish. This isin't a problem with the bigger cruisers as they just get a bin liner and chuck it in the back of the boat and bring it home with them. Rarely will I see campers voluntarily bring their rubbish home with them - they always seem to need a gentle reminder. I've lost count of how many bin liners i've handed out of ther past few years, but tbh I don't mind it at all because they'll generally clean up and bring their rubbish with them once told that no one else will take it for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Ignorance doesn't work with me in real life, or on an internet forum. I'm sure he can spend 5 minutes Googling

Hmm, I didn't see any form of ignorance in his/her posts. Could you elaborate a bit more?

A simple question was asked and what was replied was a mini lecture of the do's & don'ts of camping.

Sometimes it is a whole lot easier to find answers in a forum such as this, than wading thru' a lot of the crap that google can spit out.
    That's the great thing about Boards.ie, the place is full of genuine folk which like to share information and help people out.
    It's just a shame you're not one of them this time around.

As for your Karma comment, lets hope it doesn't bite you on the ass the next time you're looking for someone's help or opinion.

Advertisement