Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc R - Why alcantra

Options
  • 17-08-2008 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Looking through Carzone at the moment about 80-90% of the R Classes have alcantra rather than leather....presumably it's aimed at being a load carrier for the rich, why skimp on the f*ing leather...it's muche easier to wipe stuff off of.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Merc "leather" usually isn't real leather anyway it's usually MB-Tex, or leatherette. Alcantara is hardly bargain basement stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Velour is the way forward. :) In tastfull burgundy of course

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have an alcantara interior, and wouldn't consider it "skimping" by any means. Leather isn't the be all and end all - it's sticky in the summer and cold in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

eoin_s wrote: »
    I have an alcantara interior, and wouldn't consider it "skimping" by any means. Leather isn't the be all and end all - it's sticky in the summer and cold in the winter.

But would milk, fruit juices etc not stick to alcantra?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ninty9er wrote: »
    But would milk, fruit juices etc not stick to alcantra?

I'm sure it would - I am just pointing out that it's not really considered a cheap alternative which your "skimping" comment clearly implied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

with leather @ €5k and what is actually classed as suede by Carzone @€;2,400, it is a significantly cheaper option, not that there's anything wrong with it, just thaought it strange for an MPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

with leather @ €5k and what is actually classed as suede by Carzone @€;2,400, it is a significantly cheaper option, not that there's anything wrong with it, just thaought it strange for an MPV.

Alcantara is much harder wearing than leather. A lot of the German sporty cars have it as an option mixed with leather (ie your ass is on the Alcantara, leather either side). As above I never thought of it as skimping.

kevins-s4-2.jpg

Some random Audi S4 price list I found (dunno how old):

Alcantara/Pearl Nappa Leather - Silver £0
    Silk Nappa leather - Black with Silver Piping £525
    Silk Nappa leather - Silver with black Piping £525
    Silk Nappa leather - Crimson Red with Black Piping £1,100
    Audi exclusive-Fine Nappa leather/Alcantara - Any colour £3,750
    Audi exclusive-Fine Nappa leather - Any colour £3,750
    Alcantara/Pearl Nappa Leather - Black £0

Seems to be on par price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Didn't know anyone even bought the R Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Merc "leather" usually isn't real leather anyway it's usually MB-Tex, or leatherette.
    That certainly was true up to the early 90s. In recent years though, MB leather, although cheap, is generally real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Looking through Carzone at the moment about 80-90% of the R Classes have alcantra rather than leather....presumably it's aimed at being a load carrier for the rich, why skimp on the f*ing leather...it's muche easier to wipe stuff off of.:rolleyes:

Planning on driving around the Docks at night are we :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement