Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year accommodation question

Options
  • 17-08-2008 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

I'd be really really grateful if I could get an answer to this question :)
    Assuming that all goes well tomorrow morning I should be heading to UCD to be with all you wonderful people.
    I was wondering which place I should apply for for accommodation, Merville, Belgrove or Roebuck.
    I've heard conflicting stories about them so far. The internet (oxygen.ie) has told me that Roebuck is great, Merville is ok and Belgrove is a kip and if you live there "you must have been a terrible person in a past life".
    A friend has told me that Merville is a dump and that Belgrove is the place to be. I'm not sure about Roebuck, my funds are thin as it is :(.

So what would ye recommend, Merville, Belgrove or Roebuck?

Also, I'm from Tipperary (North), would any of you know what my chances are of getting a place on campus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Raemie

Im in the same situation (but from limerick). Roebuck sounds nice but its a whole grand more... THere'll be so many first years too i dont know what my chances will be like. Hopefully most people will be from dublin so we'll get preference :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

33% God wrote: »
    I'd be really really grateful if I could get an answer to this question :)
    Assuming that all goes well tomorrow morning I should be heading to UCD to be with all you wonderful people.
    I was wondering which place I should apply for for accommodation, Merville, Belgrove or Roebuck.
    I've heard conflicting stories about them so far. The internet (oxygen.ie) has told me that Roebuck is great, Merville is ok and Belgrove is a kip and if you live there "you must have been a terrible person in a past life".
    A friend has told me that Merville is a dump and that Belgrove is the place to be. I'm not sure about Roebuck, my funds are thin as it is :(.

So what would ye recommend, Merville, Belgrove or Roebuck?

Also, I'm from Tipperary (North), would any of you know what my chances are of getting a place on campus?

your chances are pretty good, they usually allocate by distance.
    I'd say go for Merville,its nice. or Roebuck is meant to be really nice but expensive. not belgrove though!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

In Merville, if I remember rightly, you need to buy electricity cards so that you'll have power. While in Belgrove you just pay a spilt bill every two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

I love you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

neilk32 wrote: »
    I love you :)
    :eek:
    Flattery will get you everywhere.
    Check your PMs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The quality of the appartments in belgrove and merville is the same. Not great, you wouldnt want to live there later in life but fine for students.

Belgrove had a better party atmosphere every year I was in college.

There are two roebucks.

Roebuck Castle is a kip, the only place on campus I wouldnt like to be. The new one, Roebuck Hall is as good as glenomena (where the final years and post grads live).

:eek:
    Flattery will get you everywhere.
    Check your PMs
    I agree, keep your pms in check woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Roebuck Castle is a kip, the only place on campus I wouldnt like to be. The new one, Roebuck Hall is as good as glenomena (where the final years and post grads live).

Roebuck castle is no longer accommodation.

It's being turned into offices.

Crap and all as I thought it was, I think that was a bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

how far away from dublin to you have to live to get on-campus accommodation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

eoin2nc wrote: »
    how far away from dublin to you have to live to get on-campus accommodation?
    This is pretty rough, but it;s late

HungryGiant.gif

If your home is still on this map, your good. If it's not, you're not.

(I made this map by cutting a chunk out centred on Dublin, and with the edge going through New Ross, where I live, applied from, and didn't get it, but some other people did.)

Great map! I'm slightly less worried now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

i think it usually goes by county not by where exactly you live, i know a good few people from offaly that got it last year.

neilk32 wrote: »
    i think it usually goes by county not by where exactly you live, i know a good few people from offaly that got it last year.
    I just registered for Merville and they said they think I have got a place so you should be grand.
    In know an guy from out the road who got a place last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

I just registered for Merville and they said they think I have got a place so you should be grand.
    In know an guy from out the road who got a place last year.

I think that's just the automatic response tbh.. But I dunno..

muffinman wrote: »
    I think that's just the automatic response tbh.. But I dunno..
    :D that's what I was thinking too.
    Surely it changes from year to year. If there are a heap of applicants from Mayo one year then you're going to have to live further away to get a place but if there are more from Kildare then people whom live closer will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

:D that's what I was thinking too.
    Surely it changes from year to year. If there are a heap of applicants from Mayo one year then you're going to have to live further away to get a place but if there are more from Kildare then people whom live closer will get it.

Based on last year, ya should get it. I know people from Kilkenny who didnt get it, it was mainly people in Leinster who didnt get it, and outside that were generally ok from what i've been told. Being from North Tipp(good man:D), ya should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

No, according to their site, and my reports form people working there while I was in first year, it goes by distance.

Also, 33% God is right, if a million people from mayo want to go to UCD one year (Are there a million people in Mayo?) Then no one else in the country gets accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Raphael wrote: »
    No, according to their site, and my reports form people working there while I was in first year, it goes by distance.

Also, 33% God is right, if a million people from mayo want to go to UCD one year (Are there a million people in Mayo?) Then no one else in the country gets accomodation.
    Not yet but it can be arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Belgrove, closest to the main hub of the campus. And you won't set your aims high when you're looking for somewhere to live next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

So when will we know?
    I live in Kilkenny so I'm doubtful that I'll get it!

So when will we know?
    I live in Kilkenny so I'm doubtful that I'll get it!

Letters seem to have arrived yesterday and Monday.. Could be more today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

muffinman wrote: »
    Letters seem to have arrived yesterday and Monday.. Could be more today

....rejection letters?

....rejection letters?

No.. acceptance

I got mine yesterday, I'm in roebuck. Should i look out for anyone...? :)

Raemie wrote: »
    I got mine yesterday, I'm in roebuck. Should i look out for anyone...? :)

Me :P What house?

Im in house 3 (i think :p), where will you be?

Raemie wrote: »
    Im in house 3 (i think :p), where will you be?

Same lol.. We may be roommates :P Though there are probably lots of rooms in each house..

*gasp* roomies!!!

How will i look out for you, any identifying features? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I'm also heading to Roebuck =) House 2 though.

Advertisement