Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loving The Stone Roses lately.

Options
  • 17-08-2008 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Mum bought me the cd a few years back, wasn't old enough to appreciate them but now!!

Any other fans. I hear they are making a comeback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

They were good, both albums kick ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Mum bought me the cd a few years back, wasn't old enough to appreciate them but now!!

what age are you?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Yeah i got into them a few years back, there class alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

They were good, both albums kick ass.
    Indeed. Seen Ian Brown at <SNIP> was deadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

very good,the stone roses are one of my fave all time bands,so what if they only had 2 albums. :(

try and catch one of the tribute acts...stone roses experience or the complete stone roses

and yes Ian Brown is a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ye gotta respect the Roses ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

HouseHippo wrote: »

You heard very very wrong then.

Brownie is a very credible solo artist and doesnt need the Roses.
    John Squire is now an artist(Painter) and doesnt have an interest in playing music anymore
    Mani is in Primal Scream
    Reni hasn't been seen in years

They will never get back together. It wouldn't be the same anyway, just appreciate the 2 albums they did release. Their debut is still one of the best albums of all time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Man I remember listening to The Stone Roses first thing in the morning before I went to see Ian Brown in Galway in 98 and hoping he'd play some of that stuff rather than his inferior solo work.

But he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nice one OP..

Pity you're not 19. You would have been born the year the first album was released. :D

Hip mum, btw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Yep the Stone Roses are essential!
    This thread is funny though, reminds of a house party i was at recently - Ebenezer Goode comes on, this 19 year old turns to me and says aw yeah my parents love the Shamen! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

saw "Ten Storey Love Song" on MTV2 the other night - it just reminded me how disappointing "Second Coming" was.

Sure, its a good song, but it was the best one on that album and still wasn't as good as anything on the debut, or any of the earlier singles and b-sides.

The main thing "Second Coming" proved was that Ian Brown was the real talent in the band - Squire and Brown wrote the early stuff together and it was genius. Squire more or less wrote "Second Coming" on his own, fancying himself as the new Jimmy Page and it was pants, as was the Seahorses album he did afterwards.

Brown's solo output may not be up to the standard of the early Roses but he has still recorded some great songs (F.E.A.R, My Star, Corpses).

I really think Squire was a moderating influence on Brown though.

I like Ian Brown, but he's a dreadful lyricist. Some of the lines he comes out with are just plain embarrassing. He's the kind of guy who needs somebody of equal influence around to maybe raise an eyebrow when he comes out with lyrics like the ones to No Lions in England.

Even Corpses (which I love btw) is pretty poor, lyrically.

Oh and best Stone Roses song, anybody? I gotta go with I am The Resurrection. One of the greatest closing tracks on an album ever imo.

I Wanna Be Adored is probably up there for great album openers too tbh.

Phlann wrote: »
    Oh and best Stone Roses song, anybody? I gotta go with I am The Resurrection. One of the greatest closing tracks on an album ever imo.

This is the One, Where Angels Play and Elephant Stone. All great tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I re-discovered the Second Coming recently. Am I the only one who absolutely loves this album? I think it's very different and unconventional which results in one of those albums that you can never quite remember what song is next - to me that's a good thing.
    Have found myself listening to it a good bit on the bike recently: "AAAAHHHHH, IIIII wanna break right into heaven..." What an absolute tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

loyatemu wrote: »
    Squire more or less wrote "Second Coming" on his own, fancying himself as the new Jimmy Page and it was pants, as was the Seahorses album he did afterwards.

God, the Seahorses! Their vocalist was dreadful . I'm voting for 'Made of Stone', great track. Will listen to this album this evening for the first time in ages, cheers guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This thread is funny though, reminds of a house party i was at recently - Ebenezer Goode comes on, this 19 year old turns to me and says aw yeah my parents love the Shamen! :D

:eek: But I'm 23 and I remember the Shamen! :(

'Made of Stone' is their best song for me. Superb tune and Brown played it when I went to see him.

christeb wrote: »
    I re-discovered the Second Coming recently. Am I the only one who absolutely loves this album? I think it's very different and unconventional which results in one of those albums that you can never quite remember what song is next - to me that's a good thing.
    Have found myself listening to it a good bit on the bike recently: "AAAAHHHHH, IIIII wanna break right into heaven..." What an absolute tune.

Its a fúcking great album. The only problem it had was the fact it was their second album. It couldnt compare to the debut, nothing could. If they had released Second Coming as the debut and then Stone Roses as their second i think things could have been a lot different for the Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Was lucky enough to see the stone roses when they played Féile '95 in Cork. (this thread makes me feel very old by the way - and I'm only 29!!) Great show. But man, Ian Brown can not sing.

Was lucky enough to see the stone roses when they played Féile '95 in Cork. (this thread makes me feel very old by the way - and I'm only 29!!) Great show. But man, Ian Brown can not sing.

Too true. He can't pull it off live.

What was the name of that Stone Roses tribute band that used to do the rounds? Their singer was actually better than him!

• Advertisement

The Complete Stone Roses (originally), changed their name to the Stone Roses Experience. I was with the tribute guitarist at Ian Browns set at the festival a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Complete Stone Roses. They were quality.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Complete Stone Roses. They were quality.

They still are. Put on a great show at oksegen on the Thursday night

I saw them at ****** in 2004. Think it was the original singer's farewell gig. Class show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I was there too. Browns singing was crap, but Squires guitar playing was savage.

My fav song is Sally Cinammon. Very simple. Pure genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If his/her parents were very young when (s)he was born in 1989 - say, late teens - they'd have only been in their early 20s for The Shamen's hey day.
    Was lucky enough to see the stone roses when they played Féile '95 in Cork
    Oh wow, the tears just flowed down my face when the bass of I Wanna Be Adored finally kicked in after the eternity of feedback... It was beautiful. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

If your a Fan worth Checking out the following :

Second Coming Rehearsal Sessions 1993-1994
    The Mint Royale remix of Elephant stone is quite sweet (its on Pop is...)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I loved the Stone Roses all those years ago but haven't listened to them for ages. They have been way overdone at parties I have been to over the years!

But yeah I feel old too reading this. It's funny to read an 18 year old comment about them and to think when I first fell in love with Fools Gold in 1989, the OP probably wasn't even born yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

christeb wrote: »
    I re-discovered the Second Coming recently. Am I the only one who absolutely loves this album?

I really liked it at first but it doesn't last the same way their debut does. The songs just aren't in the same league. There are some great songs on it though, like Your Star Will Shine.
    mental07 wrote: »
    I'm voting for 'Made of Stone', great track.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    'Made of Stone' is their best song for me.

Me three. Funny, I've never met anyone in "real life" who shares that opinion.
    I really think Squire was a moderating influence on Brown though.

My take on it has always been that Brown was the catalyst that got Squire going. His writing sans Brown is technically accomplished but dull.

Definitely. Such a simple, atmospheric opener. Actually, think I'm going to put this on when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Me four then actually for 'Made Of Stone' - loved that track. Maybe I should dust off the old CD and give it another spin :pac:

Advertisement