Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loving The Stone Roses lately.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The 12" of Elephant Stone is my fave - and it's produced by New Order's Peter Hook. Made of win really.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Hugely jealous of you guys who got to see them. They're the only band of recent years that I genuinely regret never seeing.

I was only 14 in 95, unfortunately. Bit young to be making the trek to Feile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I too have rediscoverd the Second Coming recently (found in 2nd hand shop :D) and its not as bad as I had remembered. Opening track Breaking Into Heaven is as good a kick-off as Ive heard, big tribal rhythmic intro goes on and on until Squire cranks up his guitar...the acoustic Tightrope is class too, and of course Love Spreads, better known to most as the theme tune to Eamonn Dunphys Last Word show on the wireless.....ya see, good ol Eamo had taste!

And of course having bought it on CD for the first time I discovered the kinda odd hidden track which i think is called The Fuzz. One band though that defo wont be doing the "lets reform after 20 years thing" that the likes of The Police, Pixies, Pink Floyd, Led Zep have been doin recently, not even for a live gig. Shame really. :(

Indeed. As Benjamin Franklin said: "In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and The Smiths and Stone Roses never, ever reforming." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I bought 'Turns into Stone' after hearing 'Fool's Gold' on an indie compilation years back.. I couldn't believe what a good album it was, and then I discovered it wasn't even a 'real' album. So off I went and bought 'The Stone Roses'. Couldn't get enough of it. For years I played it over and over. Loved it. Still do.

'The Second Coming' was a tad disapointing, but I still really liked it. I thought 'Love Spreads' was brilliant, not to mention the opening track, or TSLS. I didn't see them in Feile, but I wasn't bothered. At that stage Reni had left, and Squire's poncing about on the guitar was getting annoying (this from a big Jimmy Page fan).

I've seen Brownie a few times, and have had the pleasure of hearing him doing some of the classic Roses tunes. He's head and shoulders above Squire as a solo artist, but no, he can't sing.. at least not live.

And yes, The Seahorses were indeed, pants. I know, I bought the album :o

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Indeed. As Benjamin Franklin said: "In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and The Smiths and Stone Roses never, ever reforming." ;)

Ha ha love it :D I think the 4 Beatles have more chance of reforming than the Smiths!
    And yes, The Seahorses were indeed, pants. I know, I bought the album :o

Yep, apart from 1...maybe 2 decent songs its dreadful. New stone roses fans, take note, just in case you think this is more of the same, it most certainly is not! The rest of that band are probably driving buses now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

New stone roses fans, take note, just in case you think this is more of the same, it most certainly is not!...

Well said.

Interestingly, Squire's solo album wasn't as bad as The Seahorses' stuff, and his voice is kinda interesting. Haven't played it in yonks though. It didn't really have much staying power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Me four then actually for 'Made Of Stone' - loved that track. Maybe I should dust off the old CD and give it another spin :pac:
    I'm glad i re-kindled your interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

By coincidence, I was going through my CDs the other week and came across Second Coming. I could never get into that album. My lurve for the original remains undimmed though - what a great album.

Like the others, I recommend the tribute bands. They're quite possibly better live than the Roses ever were. At least you've a better chance of the lead singer staying in tune:cool:

Can't see them ever getting back together again. Ian Brown and John Squire don't like each other very much. Also, unless things have changed of late, Reni had given up playing the drums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I too have rediscoverd the Second Coming recently (found in 2nd hand shop :D) and its not as bad as I had remembered. Opening track Breaking Into Heaven is as good a kick-off as Ive heard, big tribal rhythmic intro goes on and on until Squire cranks up his guitar...the acoustic Tightrope is class too, and of course Love Spreads, better known to most as the theme tune to Eamonn Dunphys Last Word show on the wireless.....ya see, good ol Eamo had taste!

And of course having bought it on CD for the first time I discovered the kinda odd hidden track which i think is called The Fuzz. One band though that defo wont be doing the "lets reform after 20 years thing" that the likes of The Police, Pixies, Pink Floyd, Led Zep have been doin recently, not even for a live gig. Shame really. :(

I also think time has been kind to the Second Coming.

At the time, it suffered from comparisons to the first album and although it's not as good - I think it could have been, but for various issues with Squire - it's still a great album in retrospect. It's criminal that Mani and Reni - the 'blackest' rhythm section in 'indie' of the last two decades - are so low in the mix, and that it's such a rock album. I would have loved to hear them develop as a rhythm section and go down the route that Ian Brown took. Instead Reni dropped out of sight and Mani ended up doing fairly straight stuff with Primal Scream

Re: the hidden track. It's sh*t, basically. Somebody else pointed here once what a bitch it is to put the album on shuffle (I never have) as it has so many 'empty' tracks - the last one (# 99 or 100?) being the hidden one. :)

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Re: the hidden track. It's sh*t, basically. Somebody else pointed here once what a bitch it is to put the album on shuffle (I never have) as it has so many 'empty' tracks - the last one (# 99 or 100?) being the hidden one. :)

Hidden tracks really annoy me but that one takes the biscuit......like you say theres about 90 4 second tracks prior to it......nothing worse than listenin to a track on your ipod that has about 10 mins of silence at the end of it and you think your battery has died or something:mad:

Forgot to mention that Ten Storey Love Song is quite good too and perhaps couldve been worthy of a place on the debut album.

btw, any Ian Brown fans out there might want to check out the track he did with UNKLE many years ago. It's called 'Be There' and it's pretty damn good. Might have slipped under the radar for some people, considering UNKLE are more of a beats/trip-hop group.

One of the only singles I've ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Phlann wrote: »
    btw, any Ian Brown fans out there might want to check out the track he did with UNKLE many years ago. It's called 'Be There' and it's pretty damn good. Might have slipped under the radar for some people, considering UNKLE are more of a beats/trip-hop group.

Yeah, that's a great track alright; whatever about live Brown's vocals recorded are really quite atmospheric and "right" for songs like this. This thread made me revisit all Brown's stuff on YouTube. He really has some top notch tunes.

On a slightly separate note I've always found the man himself a bit hard to pin down. One minute he's talking all this spiritual, peace and love stuff that I'm really all for and the next he's threatening to kick people's heads in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'd never heard that song before - me likes. God bless YouTube for catching up on music.

Well, as long as people are youtubing UNKLE songs, check out this one with Thom Yorke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83xOZvchTTE

One of my favourite videos

/off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

Reign is class too, well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Earthhorse wrote: »
    On a slightly separate note I've always found the man himself a bit hard to pin down. One minute he's talking all this spiritual, peace and love stuff that I'm really all for and the next he's threatening to kick people's heads in!
    Manchester people are a bit like that :D

I went to college in Manchester (well, Salford actually) around the time the whole Madchester thing was kicking off and the Roses first album was released. While I never liked the scene much (being a hoary old rock fan), I did really like the first album and still listen to it. Reviews put me off the second one but when I eventually did get it, I liked it too althought it is very different to the first album. As a Led Zep homage though, it was right up my street. :)

Favourite song? I always had a soft spot for Sally Cinnamon...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yeah I've been listening to them... ooh... 19 years now, gotta love 'em! ¡RAVE ON!

blastman wrote: »
    I went to college in Manchester (well, Salford actually) around the time the whole Madchester thing was kicking off and the Roses first album was released.
    Oh my god I am insanely jealous - lucky bitch! :mad:

Why did I have to be born in the late 70s and thus have Britpop as the soundtrack to my college years... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I still have a 7" of Fools Gold, was the first record I bought.

Twenty million years ago. Sigh.

• Advertisement

Why did I have to be born in the late 70s and thus have Britpop as the soundtrack to my college years... :(

So I wouldn't have to experience that burden on my own? Seriously, I remember sitting there in first year, Oasis blasting from every corner, thinking "I have nothing in common with my generation".

+1

So I wouldn't have to experience that burden on my own? Seriously, I remember sitting there in first year, Oasis blasting from every corner, thinking "I have nothing in common with my generation".
    Man... you just described me in UCC common room in 1996. A poster sale was taking place a few yards away and there weren't nearly enough Trainspotting/Pulp Fiction posters to accommodate the demand; while I was sitting with a bunch of people poring over a copy of NME with its articles on people like Bis.

Sure, rub in the fact that I was a loner during my college years. You're just like all the others!

I wasn't even in the rec room or anything like it. Just hanging around waiting for lectures and some society would have a promotion on blasting Oasis, and then someone would sit beside you with their walkman blaring Oasis, and then your "cool" lecturer would show you a collage with an Oasis soundtrack and you'd go home and the Top 30 would be on and every second band was Oasis, and every third band were Blur, and your dad would say "I like Oasis actually. They're quite good, aren't they?" and then you'd head inot the kitchen for dinner and your mum would tell you to behave because we had guests - that's right, the Gallagher brothers. "I love Ireland, actually, Earthhorse. LET'S BE 'AVIN YOU!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Try the Coronas and Blizzards, see why i have no sympathy

Sure, rub in the fact that I was a loner during my college years. You're just like all the others!!
    If I had a time mechine I would swap... :(

Sure, rub in the fact that I was a loner during my college years. You're just like all the others!
    I only said I was sitting at the same table as them... :(
    Thanks a lot for ruining my false memories of having friends... :mad:
    walkman
    Aw man, you could have said Discman - I mean they were around in '96. Now we are officially the nana and grandad of the music forum... :mad:
    Nailz wrote: »
    If I had a time mechine I would swap... :(
    I presume you mean '89/'90? Cuz you do NOT want to go back to the mid 90s - those years SUCKED for Madchester fans.

You presume correctly Dudess... I don't wanna go back to the mid-90's either, though Black Grape and my huge taste in Metal did offer me a sanctuary.

I only said I was sitting at the same table as them... :(
    Thanks a lot for ruining my false memories of having friends... :mad:

Oh, now she's bringing up the fact that her college had a table. Beautiful, just beautiful. :mad::mad::mad:
    Aw man, you could have said Discman - I mean they were around in '96. Now we are officially the nana and grandad of the music forum... :mad:

Those scenester kids get it from your side of the family you know.
    I presume you mean '89/'90? Cuz you do NOT want to go back to the mid 90s - those years SUCKED for Madchester fans.

I would have been eleven at that stage. Could have been the Doogie Howser of Commerce. Currently working on a way to blame you for this not happening. Will get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I went to see Brown a few years back and as part of the encore he was joined onstage by UNKLE to perform that tune. It was quality.

Advertisement