Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loving The Stone Roses lately.

Options
13»

Comments

Seen them at 95! It was class.

Was at a good lot of Ian Brown gigs in the last few years, I remember being at Dolans in Limerick there 3 or 4 years ago and speaking to a member off the band who was was saying that the 95 gig was one off the best gigs ever, if I'm not mistaken I think it was in NME's or some music mags top 100 gigs ever.

As I said was at a fair few IB gigs, have to say he ain't the best singer and after seeing him about 4 times in one year, one track that he always use to do was the walk over to the sound engineer and have a blast on him.

Though, the gigs are always class.

The one in Dublin Castle there 2 years ago, in the pissing rain, don't know if anyone here remembers. When he played I am the resurrection, which was the first time in years I heard it out, it was bloody great.

The Hacienda, and Laurent Garnier in particular, was a major influence on The Stone Roses and more so The Happy Mondays who had that sound before the Roses.

There was a great documentary on one off the BBC channels there about the Manchester scene, more so about Factory records, though it gives a great understanding on what was happening.

Great viewing..

Ah, it's late and I ain't making sense:o

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Try the Coronas and Blizzards, see why i have no sympathy

Who knows. Maybe in 20 years they'll be remembered as great bands.:pac:
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    Oh, now she's bringing up the fact that her college had a table. Beautiful, just beautiful. :mad::mad::mad:

Hey you keep bringing up the fact that you went to college, rubbing it in on those of us who haven't:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

NoDrama wrote: »
    The Hacienda, and Laurent Garnier in particular, was a major influence on The Stone Roses and more so The Happy Mondays who had that sound before the Roses.

There was a great documentary on one off the BBC channels there about the Manchester scene, more so about Factory records, though it gives a great understanding on what was happening.
    It's odd how things change in the music industry, Tony Wilson was very anti-Roses during their early punk years (which probably had a bit of additional aggression, due to Martin Hannett producing Garage Flower 2 years after their falling out) and wanted them out of Manchester. The Roses played their first gig in London because of their dislike, and were only excepted in Manchester after that big headed little wànker, Gareth Evans, wanted them to sound like the Mondays. And then hypocrisy and irony all roled into one, Tony Wilson has them perform on his show, OSM.

Here's a good little documentary on all this milarchy, but this is only part 1/6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just watched that documentary on Evans seems like on of the most repulsive men on earth. The most intelligent fool I have heard of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Just watched that documentary on Evans seems like on of the most repulsive men on earth. The most intelligent fool I have heard of
    It's good isn't it, not a very likeable man... Gold digging, pretentious twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Interesting thread.

The Stone Roses debut album is brilliant. I got it on cassette in the States back around 1990, still going strong in the car. That version contained “Elephant Stone” and the full version of “Fool’s Gold”. There was a complete imbalance in the side lengths, so was able to copy an additional 3 songs onto side 1 to complete the tape.

Got a present of “The Complete Stone Roses” years ago, some of the earlier stuff on it is absolute muck, sounds as if it were recorded on a factory floor. The Second Coming isn’t bad, but runs a distant second to the debut. Don’t think much of Brown’s solo stuff, the album containing “FEAR” never did it for me, despite a fair few listens.

Can’t see why Oasis are getting such a bashing here; their later albums mightn’t be that consistent but they’re still well able to produce a decent tune.

Anyone remember the band House of Love who were popluar during the Madchester movement as well? Songs such as “Shine On”, “Beatles & the Stones”, “Shake & Crawl”? Thought they were really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Roisindearg

Seen Ian Brown at a really low key festival about 2 yrs ago now just outside Berlin. He owned that stage, pure presence. They played a lot of stone roses tracks too, was in heaven, great nite:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Nailz wrote: »
    And then hypocrisy and irony all roled into one, Tony Wilson has them perform on his show, OSM.

I see exactly where you're coming from here, and the only explanation i can offer on that was in Factory's dying days, Hannett and Wilson patched things up in a last ditch effort to save the label. So Wilson may have actually done that out of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Dudess wrote: »
    I was sitting with a bunch of people poring over a copy of NME with its articles on people like Bis.

Oh man, i f*cking hated those guys, them and Juniper! Seriously, i never thought the latter would still be around today in any way shape or form.

Talk about "colour me wrong", eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Oh man, i f*cking hated those guys, them and Juniper! Seriously, i never thought the latter would still be around today in any way shape or form.

Talk about "colour me wrong", eh?
    Mate of mine was Juniper's sound engineer for years was his first ever gig

Advertisement