Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating late at night - any evidence of adverse effects?

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sometimes, when I'm in a later than average sleeping rhythm, I eat my largest meal late at night (21:00 or later). There seems to be a popular belief that this is a bad thing to do - I've had a few people say this to me.

Does anyone know of any solid scientific reason why this might be the case?
    Or any good studies that are relevant to this?

Several relevant facts:
    * I'm explicitly not interested in weight gain effects (my weight is ok as a result of exercise). This isn't late night comfort eating, it's just I sometimes happen to eat my main meal later.
    * The food I eat tends to be very healthy nutritionally. (So, if there was a correlation between eating late at night and eating, eg, fatty food, that would not be relevant).
    * I amn't going to sleep immediately after eating - there's at least a 3 hour period for food to digest, (and no trouble sleeping).

I found a study on the BBC web site saying that it was a 'myth' that eating late at night affected weight gain, based on data from monkeys, - but is it bad for any other reason? Or is it just that eating late is often associated with bad eating behavior (poor nutrition due to lack of time, binge eating etc)?

Be very interested in any insight on this issue... Although I'm looking for something more substantial than hearsay or anecdotal evidence ideally.
    Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Calories are calories. The time of day you eat them has very little overall effect. What does make a difference is the mindless snacking that most people do when they sit in front of the tv in the evening. If you are eating a proper meal, then this doesn't apply.

Actually, bodybuilders often make a big deal of having a late night meal of some form of slow digesting protein, in an effort to maintain muscle during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

+1 Eileen normally knows her stuff on these matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sumos eat before sleeping for max gain, but that is anecdotal http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055345966

Problem for most people I know is that they are eating huge takeaways after the pub late at night. The "beerbelly" is really the takeaway-belly for most people.

I also expect your monkeys were in 2 groups fed the same amount of calories per day at different times. Humans are different, they eat when hungry. If you have no breakfast you can end up hungry and end up overeating later on. It takes time for your body to recognise when you have eaten enough, I think around 20mins, so if you wolf food down when hungry you can end up overeating.

When you are lying in bed you are not that active so have no real need for all that food in your system (unless as mentioned you want to build muscle). If those monkeys were given free reign on their intake like humans then the night eaters might have been bigger.

I used to stop eating around 8 and found it helped, I had no need for energy at that time and actually found I went to sleep earlier/easier as I was tired. Then wake up and have my biggest meal of the day in the morning to give me the energy I needed for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

rubadub:
    Thanks for your response.
    It's not specifically what I'm asking, as I'm wondering whether there's any bad effects of eating late at night, and I'm not really concerned with calorie intake etc, as I don't have weight issues, and am eating heathily, although late.
    Thanks for the interesting reply though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

meh i always eat immediately before sleeping. I actually feel better in the morning if I eat a healthy snack before bed.

Sleep tight!

• Advertisement

fergalr wrote: »
    rubadub:
    Thanks for your response.
    It's not specifically what I'm asking
    Yep, sorry I was meant to say that in my post. I was more explaining how the "myth" arises, and the real reasons why it may lead to weight gain.

So I would agree with Eileen
    Calories are calories. The time of day you eat them has very little overall effect
    Just eating at night leads to more calories overall for many.

That study done was just concerned about weight gain, and I presume most people warning against eating at night have that in mind.

The only other reasons I hear not to eat late is that it might disrupt your sleep patterns and your body is possibly working overtime digesting food when really it should be at rest and healing. Dunno how valid that is though and if you have no trouble sleeping and wake up fine and refreshed it is probably not an issue for you.

That's an interesting link, cozmik, thanks!

The only other reasons I hear not to eat late is that it might disrupt your sleep patterns and your body is possibly working overtime digesting food when really it should be at rest and healing. Dunno how valid that is though and if you have no trouble sleeping and wake up fine and refreshed it is probably not an issue for you.
    Yeah - it's that kind of thing I was thinking about - or stuff in that area. That link above seems to say that there's no evidence on this, and that if your sleep isn't interrupted or affected, then it's not a concern.
    Would be good to see more on the issue, but like that doctor mentions in the article:
    "Most of these studies relied on dietary journals or recall and might not be accurate reflections of actual eating habits. And while they are interesting, none of these specifically addresses the question about whether it's a good or bad idea to eat at night. "
    it seems to be a question that's not being looked at in great detail.

Interesting stuff.. thanks for all the responses!

This is an individual thing. Personally I find it harder to sleep if I'm hungry. A small snack an hour before bedtime works for me. If I go to bed hungry, I don't fall asleep easily, and I keep waking up.

EileenG wrote: »
    If I go to bed hungry, I don't fall asleep easily, and I keep waking up.

me too.

The link below has a list of the best foods to eat before bed.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t042400.asp

• Advertisement

cozmik wrote: »
    me too.

The link below has a list of the best foods to eat before bed.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t042400.asp

You have to sign up to see that, but I am guessing turkey is on the list, low in carbs, high in protein and contains tryptophan which makes you sleepy.

I notice Google have a cached copy, if you don't want to sign up: http://tinyurl.com/5cwttb

I love how the topic has drifted from 'Is it bad to eat late at night' to 'what's good to eat late at night' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I find eating big meals late at night affect my sleep .I just dont sleep as well than if i had ate at regualr meal times

fergalr wrote: »
    I love how the topic has drifted from 'Is it bad to eat late at night' to 'what's good to eat late at night' :)

It's not that big a drift. The OP was saying that he eats late at night and was this a problem.

I love how the topic has drifted from 'Is it bad to eat late at night' to 'what's good to eat late at night :)'
    It's not that big a drift. The OP was saying that he eats late at night and was this a problem.

Indeed I was :)
    and I'm grateful for all the replies - was just poking fun at how it's much nicer to talk about food that's good to eat, rather than about whether it's good to eat food :)

The best conclusion I can come to so far is that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with eating late at night, in and of itself. Or at least, there's no evidence to suggest this. There's issues with weight gain, but only if eating late at night causes the individual to increase their intake of calories.
    There's also an issue with sleeping badly, but that seems to vary from person to person and even food type. There's also disorders where the individuals sleep is interrupted to get food.
    Apart from these things, though, there seems to be no evidence of any other problem with eating late at night... That's what I got from the links posted anyway...

Advertisement